Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Delayed Throttle Responce

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Freds GTV 2001 
#1 ·
Hi Folks
I know there are many threads on this subject & I have read many of them already. Like many I have a delayed throttle reponse which is sometimes bearable other times a real pain in the @rse !!
After reading some of the threads I took my 3.0 GTV (98) to my local independant who read the fault as "Accelerator Pedal line signal not valid" with probable causes as Connections faulty, wiring continuity problem, wiring insulation, accelerator pedal potentiometer (OUCH), Injector Control unit faulty (sounds expensive).
I have had a look at the potentiometer by lowering the fuse panel but cannot get near the bloody thingto check the cable connections as they appear to connect to the top of the unit. I have also looked in the passenger footwell & there seems to be loads of cables terminating on various connectors attached to the nearside bulkhead / wing. All of these cables seem much bigger than those leaving the potentiometer. Can anyone offer any advice on the route of the cable & where the relevant connectors are on the car. Also the best way to get at the potentiometer without ripping the whole car apart !!

G
#2 ·
Had this on mine.
The cable seems to be hard wired into the potentiometer so unlikely to be at that end.
There is a connector that goes through the passenger footwell - this was the cause in mine. Came from behind the centre consol and across just about where the carpet ends at the top of the footwell. I just cleaned up the connector pushed it back together firmly and taped it up. Been fine since.
Is a bloody annoying problem though

#3 ·
Cheers for the info - it will save a lot of time trying to get at the potentiometer :) The cable leaving the pot seems quite small (approx 7mm in dia and plastic coated sleeving). I had a look in the passenger footwell & most of the cables were much larger with a fabric covering. They all seem to go to the far side of the footwell where there is a mass of plugs / connectors. Was your connector on the RHS of the footwell ?. Also do you know if the cable goes through the back of the dash behind the radio. I changed the standard unit approx 6 weeks ago & the new unit was a tight fit - may be barking up the wrong tree but wonder if this might of crushed the cable - worth a look !!

Once again thanks for your response - can you get back to me re the exact location of the connector :confused:

#5 ·
My wife's Landrover had a similar problem a few years ago...we took it to the dealer who fixed it, but I'm afraid I can't recall what part needed replacing...I do recall it was expensive though :(

G
#8 ·
Sorry having to say from memory, I would have taken you a picture but I dont currently have the car as it has had to go for a new engine.

I would say the cable was approx 7mm yes with a number of wires taped together. The conector was white and regtangular. I'm not sure if that will help
Although you will be able to tell if it is the correct one - i wasn't sure if it was the correct cable myself so i just disconnected it anyway. The pedal stopped working altogether so it kind of proved it was the right one

#13 ·
Hi, jonboy, i have the same bloody prob, can't find that potentiometer cable connection. have read all the threads of many forums, can't find any pictures or something. could you, please, share your happines with me, and brighten this situation for me, with some pictures or maybe decent clues where to look? i have a 156 V6 2000. thanks in advance

btw, sorry for my english, i'm from lithuania :)

G
#11 ·
Excellent. Always good when a plan comes together. Has to be one of the most annoying problems i had just when you feel like booting it you have to wait 3 secs.
Its quite a relief when it is sorted - especially when it is free

#14 ·
HI Maronas

The connector on the GTV was in the passenger footwell behind the carpeted panel which contains the key switch to disable the passenger airbag. There were two connectors behind the carpet - if I remember correctly a white one & light green coloured plug. I disconnected the white connector - to check you have the correct connector start the engine & if the throttle has no effect you have the correct connector !!. Check for any corrosion / clean if required & reconnect. Not sure if the 156 has the same wiring, I had a 156 2.5 v6 & remember the airbag switch in the footwell - best of luck :)

#15 ·
Hi, Having the problem of the GTV going into limp mode and injector warning light showing. Reading past threads it seems often the connector is at fault rather than the potentiometer (drink can looking part). This happened months ago but after a re-connection of the cable and ecu reset it was fine until now.

Has anyone actually had to replace their potentiometer? I've done 70k. Have many people taped their connector as a solution? Seems strange that a plastic connector that doesn't move would loosen.

Symptom - Whilst driving the 'injector light would come on and power would be reduced / lagging on pressing the gas. Light+problem may go after 15mins or after restarting but then could return upto 30min later,

Diagnostics mentions - Accelarator signal problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.