Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, yesterday on the school run my 156 jtd 1.9 started playing up. When pulling out of a junction it just wasn't moving, accelerator down flat and the car started stuttering and seemed to take forever to pick up, changed to second and a little better but still no really moving untill 3000rpm, better in 3rd and 4th but still stuttering and hesitant. You can put you foot flat and its like waiting and waiting and when it does pick up it stutters and juddered.

I thought it was to egr valve so I cleaned it out today along with the throttle body, they were full of soot so was hoping this was the issue but unfortunately not :confused:

so did some more research on the forum as similar issues pointed to the maf so unplagged that but ran just the same, delay slow pick up and stutter.

in the last month the 156 has had a new lower turbo hose and camblet.

Any ideas guys? cheers Jon :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you take the solenoid off the end of the valve the pin in it should move in and out freely. If not there are guides on here on how to clean.
Other thing could be that your turbo is stuck in boost mode, not sure exactly what would cause this other than stuck vanes, usually if the rubber pipes perish it sticks in low boost.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you take the solenoid off the end of the valve the pin in it should move in and out freely.
yep it did this :)

Other thing could be that your turbo is stuck in boost mode, not sure exactly what would cause this other than stuck vanes, usually if the rubber pipes perish it sticks in low boost.

mmm the car does feel abit like when the original lower turbo pipe split so could be on to something with that:thumbs: also a couple of weeks ago i removed a tuning box I wonder if this has caused a issue with the injectors, i will plug it back in tomorrow to see i it makes a difference.

The 156 sounds different aswell, a loader tractor sound.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
can you hear the turbo whistling at 1800 rpm ? if not its stuck in low boost mode

when you say it sounds more tractor like, is one of the injectors blowing on the head ?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys I'm not sure, how would I tell if a injector is blowing? I'm new to diesels but keen to learn I had a kind offer on the forum to get the codes read so hoping this May shed some light. I'm tempted to buy a new egr valve but don't want to spend any money until I'm sure what the problem is. Thanks for your input and help :)

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Top pipe is good, turbo seems to kick in around 2000rpm and car picks up, anything below this there is just no power, pulling out of a junction in first gear is risky as it just doesn't pull away even with foot flat it's like in the films...... "Come on come on you can do it.....come on!" Lol!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hi guys I'm not sure, how would I tell if a injector is blowing? I'm new to diesels but keen to learn I had a kind offer on the forum to get the codes read so hoping this May shed some light. I'm tempted to buy a new egr valve but don't want to spend any money until I'm sure what the problem is. Thanks for your input and help :)
Take the plastic cover off the top of the engine and have a look around the injectors, they are where the spark plugs would normally be on a petrol.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
you said the sound has changed ? the injectors seals can fail and it will make a much loader clatter then normal

you should be able to hear the turbo at 1800rpm making plenty of whistling, could be the vanes not opening due to 3mm pipes leaking

i bought my first diesel 3 years ago, ive learnt a lot in those 3 years

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i bought my first diesel 3 years ago, ive learnt a lot in those 3 years

I need to learn fast lol!

are the vanes inside the turbo, the 3mm pipes that could be leaking.

A kind chap on here is hooking her up for a fault code read and have a look a mpa sensor and egr valve :D

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
been doing some more research after we look at the egr i think i will go down the solenoid valve? where is the boost solenoid valve on the 156 1.9 i seen a pic of one on ebay but can i see it in the engine bay........should i go to spec savers! lol!

Thinking about the day the car first stared to play up it P*ssed i down with real heavy rain so could have knackard a sensor.

Will update tomorrow afternoon and let you know how i get on, cheers Jon

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All sorted, popped the 156 round to tom's after a kind offer to have a look, egr all cleaned but this wasn't the problem. When read on the laptop came up with fault p0203 injector three, after a few cleans the 156 is running great with no more error messages. Result!

Got a few bits to buy as well to ensure I don't have any other issues like the ent solenoid if anyone has one knocking about.

Cheers tom for your help much appreciated

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
'after a few cleans' .....? injector cleaner? always useful to know how to do simple fixes, so please expand :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts