Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we are now about 2.5 months away from the end of April when Sergio is due to reveal the final, definitive, five-year plan for Alfa Romeo. This is just enough time to throw the floor wide open for wild speculation as to the contents of this plan.

Here's my shot:

4C:
- 4C base model to continue unaltered
- 4C Targa late-2014 with new headlights
- 4C Stradale mid-2015 with 300bhp and new targa headlights

MITO:
- Built for another 2 years, Europe-only, then discontinued and not replaced

GIULIETTA:
- Completely new FWD model in 2017 in 3dr and 5dr variants. For Europe only.

GIULIA:
- Saloon and Sportswagon RWD models in late 2015
- Unfortunately no Giulia Coupe to rival 4-series and C-class coupes

SPIDER:
- RWD MX-5 Spider in 2015. Engines 1.4MA and maybe 1.75 range-topper

169:
- Saloon in 2016 but not sure if based on Ghibli or Giulia. Top Spec model will cost about the same as entry-level Ghibli.

SUV 1:
- Based on Jeep Cherokee launched late 2015 in conjuction with the Giulia

SUV 2:
- Based on Maserati Levante launched in 2016 in conjuction with the 169

RETURN TO THE USA:
- Come back line-up to consist of the 4C, Giulia, and SUV1 all launched in 2015. 4C to come first, followed by the Giulia and SUV1 six months later

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
All fairly believable, although I'd add a model or two based on Giulietta, and I think Mito will be renewed as a 3door, 5door and soft top.. I've seen no evidence to suggest this will happen, but people forget that Mito was a successful model: there was and is a market for it. A bit of work on suspension and steering would make a fine car of it, and don't forget that the new "small" platform supports independent rear suspension.

·
Registered
32,011 Posts
There are quite a few bits of Italy where cars like the Panda 4wheeldrive is popular and the Mito juke would have potential there.( An Italian friend was telling me how some of the people who drive these Pandas could afford a lot more )

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
How it will really be:

4C production stopped in 2015 due to falling sales.

MiTo reduced to "Limited Editions" end of 2015
Replaced in 2016 by 5 door updated version.

Giulietta to have modest design update in 2016
with possible engine updates. No other changes.

MX-5-a-like Spider end of 2015

AWD C-SUV rebadged Jeep in 2017, just as the SUV market slumps.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't see why they couldn't get a 169 and SUV 1 out sooner than late 2015, if they are to be based on the Ghibli and Cherokee, as both these models are already being launched. Late 2014/early 2015 ought to be do-able, but then they've taken so long so far, who knows.

All the other dates/suggestions seem pretty likely although I think they'd be nuts to drop the MiTo. If its ride/handling were improved and the looks made slightly less dividing (I like it, but many don't) they could do really well with it. As has already been said, it's been a reasonable success for Alfa given that it's never been pushed that hard in marketing terms. It'll also have attracted a younger audience to the brand, which is what any brand should strive towards as it provides potentially long-term income from repeat purchase.

I think there's room for a MiTo and Juke-style small Crossover in Alfa's line-up - if Fiat go ahead with axing the Punto they'll desperately need a small car in the group that appeals to men - the 500 and Panda are thoroughly decent cars but they don't appeal that much to my demographic (20-30 something males). If the Punto becomes another 500 derivative Fiat might as well kiss goodbye to a large chunk of the car buying population, since the Bravo is meant to be going as well, and not every male in this age group can afford a Giulietta or wants a 500!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The brutal fact about MiTo is that it has never achieved its targetted sales, hitting a peak of 63,000 units in 2009 and then tailing off rapidly to around half that in 2013. (Originally they wanted 70/80,000 cars a year). And almost half of all the sales were in the home market in Italy, where even there it was outsold by Mini and even the Citroen DS3.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
AJ's prediction sounds the most plausible, since it's based on the known facts at this time... :thumbs:

MITO will likley be canned just because it is built on the Punto platform and that platform will eventually be discontinued. There's nothing wrong with MITO and if thay could, I think AR would have another one.

But meanwhile.. there is no "new" Punto in the pipeline, since Punto is mostly a European gig and Euro' sales are likely to remain flat over the next 3 years, which makes it "not the best place" to launch a new model into, compared to getting Alfa into the USA for example. So MITO will take a sabbatical. It may re-appear if/when Fiat launch a new Punto.

The 4C will sell all they plan to make... and there is a targa mooted with new lights.

Giulia will now happen and will be RWD, so I guess Sergio finally means business.. :D
SpideX will happen since Mazda have a real project in hand for their version.

If I was a Fiat fan, I'd be more worried about the Home Team... since they'll be left with Panda derivatives (500, 500L and X.. etc.). Fiat seems to be baling out of Golf/Focus sized cars (Bravo sadly overlooked in this class) and there's no Punto either, at least for the time-being. Sergio maybe out to reconsider this one..

Having said that, if Chrysler keeps doing well it'll allow the Group to clear it's debt and channel funds to European models (Fiat and even who-knows Lancia). Fiat is still a fairly small, cash-challenged maker so it's a bit harsh to keep moaning about it. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Fact in a make-it-all-up thread?

:confused:

5000 cars a year will not save Alfa. And I'm not convinced this is based on real sales figures.
They need mass market success as seen initially with the MiTo & Giulietta.

New launches have been very light on the ground and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Oh! Sorry, like an opposite to 'dont let a few facts get in the way of a good story'?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Ralf, according to rumour there is a new Punto replacement, but it will be built at Tychy, in Poland not Melfi, and will use the same platform as 500L, but in a narrower, shorter configuration more in keeping with the current car's dimensions.

Marchionne has stated that the Punto will be looked after in 2015. This is a core model for FIAT, so dumping it won't happen. However, production in Italy won't make it price competitive, so Poland, which is losing the Ford Ka, makes sense. That doesn't mean that an Alfa Mito can't be spun off the design and built in Italy (right now, Mito and Punto are made at two different sites: Mirafiori and Melfi, respectively)

The Bravo is the car that will not be replaced directly, I think. Instead, a rumoured "giant Panda" would bridge the gap between the Panda and Freemont, and compete with the Qashqai.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Everyone on this thread is talking rubbish

New small alfa - Flat 4 engine, based on the work done by Porsche, maybe styled a bit like the Mito

New Gullia (or however they decide to spell it) - RWD and FWD versions (bit like the Rover 75). Maybe styled a bit like the Chrysler 200

New 169 - Badge engineered Maser, maybe some new wheel trims and different headlights to make it stand out. 4 cylindr engines only.

4C - Done to death

SpiderX - Lhd only

That should just about kill off the marque

·
Registered
32,011 Posts
Ralf, according to rumour there is a new Punto replacement, but it will be built at Tychy, in Poland not Melfi, and will use the same platform as 500L, but in a narrower, shorter configuration more in keeping with the current car's dimensions.

Marchionne has stated that the Punto will be looked after in 2015. This is a core model for FIAT, so dumping it won't happen. However, production in Italy won't make it price competitive, so Poland, which is losing the Ford Ka, makes sense. That doesn't mean that an Alfa Mito can't be spun off the design and built in Italy (right now, Mito and Punto are made at two different sites: Mirafiori and Melfi, respectively)

The Bravo is the car that will not be replaced directly, I think. Instead, a rumoured "giant Panda" would bridge the gap between the Panda and Freemont, and compete with the Qashqai.
That Punto could be the 500 five door here

Fiat 500X patent images preview new compact SUV - PerformanceDrive

1 - 20 of 84 Posts