Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
There isn't a timing chain change interval. It isn't a service item.
Replace if the diagnostics indicate that it's 'stretched', if not, leave well alone.
Nothing like the cam belts of old.

Clutch seems very robust.
Well having read many threads on the problem with timing chains on early 2.2 JTS breras I'm now having second thoughts on this 06 which I'm supposed to go and see on Saturday especially so when I've just read someone had to change there's at 16k, one person had 20k on the clock and some had 30k on the clock. I have however mailed my indy garage for a price on what they would charge for changing the timing chain and sprockets if I were to buy the car.

Joe

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Well having read many threads on the problem with timing chains on early 2.2 JTS breras I'm now having second thoughts on this 06 which I'm supposed to go and see on Saturday especially so when I've just read someone had to change there's at 16k, one person had 20k on the clock and some had 30k on the clock. I have however mailed my indy garage for a price on what they would charge for changing the timing chain and sprockets if I were to buy the car.

Joe
Mine went at about 45k. My local garage sorted the whole job for £380. No big deal really.
Most garages will have had experience of it with its prevalence in the old Vectra engine.
Later engines are also no different to '06 ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine went at about 45k. My local garage sorted the whole job for £380. No big deal really.
Most garages will have had experience of it with its prevalence in the old Vectra engine.
Later engines are also no different to '06 ones.
Thank for the reply........

Below was his reply.......

Hi Joe

Unfortunately the timing chains can be a problem!!! When we replace the timing chain we also replace the balance shaft chain as these can fail also!!
The cost to do this is £600-700 incl of everything.
Only way of telling if it is worn is if there is any audible rattling!!
Best Regards

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Thank for the reply........

Below was his reply.......

Hi Joe

Unfortunately the timing chains can be a problem!!! When we replace the timing chain we also replace the balance shaft chain as these can fail also!!
The cost to do this is £600-700 incl of everything.
Only way of telling if it is worn is if there is any audible rattling!!
Best Regards
I guess it depends on exactly what gets changed.
Mine would have just been the chain and associated ancillaries, I'm almost certain I had nothing to do with the balance shaft changed.
I have a 'rattle' for a few seconds when the car is first started from cold, but it only started doing that after I had the chain done. That was 18 months ago.
I suspect it's the variator but that's purely a guess.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I bought a 159SW 3.2 Q4 a couple of months ago for £3k. It's a 100k miler and needed a little TLC but...... What else can you get with that kind of performance and drop dead looks for your budget?
My wife wouldn't allow that (and we need to consider running costs a bit) hence looking at 1.9TD engine (I'd prefer the 2l but it's likely out of budget).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the excellent thread - I had a 2007 2.2 JTS Brera for 4 years (2008-12) and did 85,000kms with no issues at all - now have a 2011 1750TBi and the improved equipment levels including Blue & me, electric heated seats (I live in Canberra - its cold in winter) and the much improved fuel economy and performance of the turbo engine makes it the model to get in my view and also one of the best value quality sports cars in Australia for the price you can pick a low kilometre one up for second hand. Only issues for me was a fuel pump problem causing turbo drop ( needed a new fuel pump at 30,000km) and a leaking back left light unit - fixed now - oh and hitting a kangaroo!!!! Car showed its strength in that encounter and the up side was that the stone chips on the bonnet got fixed as well!!!:thumbup::thumbs: I think Alfa should have prolonged and re-vamped the model with the 1.75TBi engine in it instead of stopping making it - the back seat is useful (for small people) and at least gives you an option - unlike many other cars, and the boot space is exceptional for a sports car.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yes it's possible, still worth doing , but not as necessary as on the 1.9, it's more difficult to put the plate in too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

Quick question,

Where does the "Sportivo" fit into the 159??

I see cars advertised as this but "Sportivo" doesnt seem to be part of the series.....Very confused!!

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Hi All,

Quick question,

I see cars advertised as this but "Sportivo" doesnt seem to be part of the series.....Very confused!!
AFAIK, there's no such thing in the UK.
Please provide a link to an advertisement you've seen (if UK).

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hi All,

Quick question,

It's not a trim level in the UK, looking at a couple of ads from Ireland it appears to be a pretty low trim level, nearest would appear to the the Turrismo Sport, 17" wheels, cloth seats (I saw one with leather (option?)), it's got small alloys, the steering wheel is the standard one (the Turrismo sport in the UK got the Ti sports steering wheel). Looking at a very early post on here, it was about €1k more than the Turismo.

Really need more information though as there are not a huge number of cars to see with that spec, and some differ.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great thread, very useful!

Just returned to the Alfa fold and bought myself another 159 (2.0 JTDM TI).

By the way, have just spent some time in Italy and seen quite a few Giulia's on the road. Very nice!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank You All

What a great thread! Good questions, great answers. I flippin' love this forum (must come back more often). My Beloved old 147 (03 car, had it 8 years - lots of smiles... :biglaugh: ) is on it's last legs, so off to market I go....

Thanks all - I'll let you know what I end up with (Brera 2.2 probably...)

Cheers Aye!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
hi just bought a 159 1.9jtdm lusso 2006 and a tad worried as it would appear it has red PAS fluid . Now I have got abit used to it the steering is a little strange could this be a fluid issue as mentioned.

Oh love it a definate step forward from the 156 and even with mentioned niggles better choice than a germanic alterenative.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
hi just bought a 159 1.9jtdm lusso 2006 and a tad worried as it would appear it has red PAS fluid . Now I have got abit used to it the steering is a little strange could this be a fluid issue as mentioned.

Oh love it a definate step forward from the 156 and even with mentioned niggles better choice than a germanic alterenative.
I never got to the bottom of the fluid colour. somewhere I read if it had fluid A from build the n leave else change it to B. Forget whether red was A or B :lol:
Mine is red and groans a bit and has for the last 16k or so. I have got used it.

I am looking at a 2.2 Brera at weekend with 80k on. I fancy a change from the tractor but the gearbox (M32) is a concern for me. I thought it was just the 1.9 truck engine but it seems not.
I read above somebody said that it was a wheel bearing like noise. Is this the usual tell tale sign?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all

Contemplating buying a Brera (06 plate, 90k miles) which I may go and view this or next week. Have gone through the info in this very useful thread and was wondering if there's anything in addition I should keep my eyes and ears out for with a Brera of this age and mileage as well as the usual examination and test drive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi all.

I'm looking for a 159ti but still haven't made my mind up on which engine to go for? Considering all the "if's & maybe's" out of a 1.9/2.0/2.4 which engine would you go for and why? My budget is around 6k and I've seen a few around, just not sure, if say for example getting a 1.9 when a 2.0l would be a smarter move given the possible gearbox issues, or do they share the same M32 box?

Any advice is welcomed :thumbu p:

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
History check

Hi everyone.

I'm about to buy a 159 brought from Germany to Poland.
Could you please advise some history check services for stolen/collateral/...?
I have the vin, the car plate number and the registration date.
vin: ZAR93900007048290, it fails 9-digit-check but on-line services take it and show some info.

@rgwm, could you please share what your omnipotent DB says about this vin?

61 - 80 of 107 Posts