Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever encountered the type of driver that doesn't want to be overtaken, the type that weaves across the road to make it difficult for anyone to overtake them? My answer is to call their bluff on the premiss that there are very few drivers who are idiotic enough to deliberately damage their own car. In other other words, once it's clear I'm already half passed, then I'm confident they will stay on their side of the road as it would be pretty stupid of them to trash their own car by colliding with mine. During my whole time of driving that rule has always worked....

....that is .....until yesterday!

Old fellow in front is driving really slow and weaving. I'm fed up with this so I'm passed on the first safe stretch, accept he pulls over about a foot past the centre line and collides with the side of the Alfa (it's a narrow road anyway and there's nowhere for me to go short of damaging my alloys or worse by going off the road). As you'd expect the biggest impact is taken by the wing mirrors. The G's wing mirror closes but the cowling is then pierced by something on the other cars wing mirror which in turn then shears off completely and falls to the road. It would seem - as his wing mirror is falling it gets trapped between the two vehicles causing some scuffing to the Alfa's side panels.

I stop the guy and have words with him. Incredibly stupidly, when I notice his wing mirror is ripped off completely (mine is still on remember) I start to feel sorry for him and simply point out that needs to moderate his driving and then things like this wouldn't happen. It's only when I get back in my car that my wife says "I hope you've got all his details so he pay for the damage to your car" that I realize I must be getting soft in my old age :eek:

As it turns out, the only real damage to the G is a pierced nearside wing mirror cowl (RHD) which leads to two questions:

1. Can anyone advise how to remove the cowl as I need to make it waterproof as don't want water getting into the mechanism ?
  2. Does anyone have a cowl (ideally Alfa Silver) spare from doing say an upgrade they'd like to sell me ?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Alfisti.net can supply a new pair at a very reasonable price and will dispatch fast. In the meantime, Avoid duct tape as this can be a pig to remove the glue.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've got a spare new cover, but it's just unpainted black plastic.

Also, I've never ever come across someone who weaves just to stop people overtaking! Do you live in an area full of angry geriatrics?!

Just seen you live in Dorset. Answered my own question there, haven't I..... ;-)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
That's crappy, as your wife points out, totally his fault (I had a similar incident, although totally accidentally on the other drivers part due to a blind spot), by the time I arrived at work I received a called from their insurers accepting responsibility!)
Can't help much, but Be aware the wing mirror is identical to the 159, so if you have the brushed chrome it should be the same as the Ti version.

Oh I can help! :) to remove the cover take the glass out (simply prise off), then you can use a screw driver the get the clips off the old
Mirror.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
562 Posts
I feel your pain, as I also had a similar issue with a shopping trolley at the weekend (although I was parked) and picked up a nice long scratch down the side of my rear near side door. Some of it has polished out but need to do a bit more work to get rid of the rest :(. The worst bit is that I was in a child space with loads of room between each car.

G

·
Be careful taking glass off... I found it very easy to crack.

Upside was I've now got the blue glass which looks good.

G

·
A good suction cup, with gentle persuasion from the rear of the glass (using a plastic spatula) worked a treat for me.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Could use a plastic bag to cover that area.. By the way inside mirror should be water resistant as water gets into it without issue when the car is washed ..

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do you live in an area full of angry geriatrics?!

Just seen you live in Dorset. Answered my own question there, haven't I..... ;-)
Steady, we don't all live in Christchurch you know!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the useful comments guys.

Just discovered you have to have new covers bodyshop painted (mine are matching) which means it may well get a bit pricey so seems it would make more sense to simply fit a pair of chrome covers from Alfisti.net (thanks ransoman :thumbs:). Thinking that could look quite smart by matching the chrome surround of the windows but on the other hand don't see why I should be forced to change when I was happy with the car as it was.

Had a look at the camera footage today and I think it looks pretty damning.
Road Road trip Mode of transport Windscreen wiper Lane Road Mode of transport Road trip Sky Lane Mode of transport Vehicle Transport Road Automotive exterior

Really dumb doing a trick like that in front of a camera ...and even dumber if you've got Interflora printed on the back! :lol:

I've since tracked the driver down and will shortly give him the bad news that not only will he have to fix his own mirror but he can pay for mine too :D

Thanks everyone for the input and offers.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
You don't need to take the glass out to replace the cowling! Start levering it up by the pivot point and then work your way round. You just don't get anywhere near the glass to break it! I had a British Gas van driver fling his door open on mine and had to have a replacement. These were my costs: replacement cowling £35, repainting £50, fitting £20. This was the dealer who quoted this. I was told at the time to go for some brushed aluminium ones (£65 eBay) or the chrome ones for that matter. After having one done for me, I decided I liked the idea of some brushed aluminium ones and bought a pair of those. No chance of dodgy paint matches then either!! There is a thread I did on this I think

·
Registered
253 Posts

Just discovered you have to have new covers bodyshop painted (mine are matching) which means it may well get a bit pricey so seems it would make more sense to simply fit a pair of chrome covers from Alfisti.net (thanks ransoman :thumbs:). Thinking that could look quite smart by matching the chrome surround of the windows but on the other hand don't see why I should be forced to change when I was happy with the car as it was.

View attachment 447434 View attachment 447442 View attachment 447450

Really dumb doing a trick like that in front of a camera ...and even dumber if you've got Interflora printed on the back! :lol:

I've since tracked the driver down and will shortly give him the bad news that not only will he have to fix his own mirror but he can pay for mine too :D

So how did he explain his actions?

G

·

Looks like he's pulled out to try to stop you overtaking... doesn't look accidental.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't need to take the glass out to replace the cowling! Start levering it up by the pivot point and then work your way round.
Thanks for that Andy. So are you saying you don't bother to unclip it (from inside) but instead gently lever it off (externally)? Paint costs seem cheaper than I expected but think I may get the chrome ones as you suggest.

I've already tried removing the mirror (using sucker + trim tools) and it doesn't want to budge so I'm a bit worried that on a 4 year old car it's now firmly stuck

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

That is shocking. He's either an exceptionally bad driver who drifts, or as you suggested (and the pictures seems to back up) he did it deliberately to stop you passing, which could well be "dangerous driving" as opposed to "driving without due care and attention". Shows the value of dash cams!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Thanks for that Andy. So are you saying you don't bother to unclip it (from inside) but instead gently lever it off (externally)? Paint costs seem cheaper than I expected but think I may get the chrome ones as you suggest.

I've already tried removing the mirror (using sucker + trim tools) and it doesn't want to budge so I'm a bit worried that on a 4 year old car it's now firmly stuck
I used a trim removal tool/plastic spatula and instead of levering it out (away from the mirror) lever it up so that the cowling clears the pivot. Once that's done you can work your way around the top edge with trim tool/plastic spatula and it will pop off.

What was harder was putting the new one on! I found it difficult to locate the bottom outside clip and ended up having to tease it in with a screwdriver - but once it went in, it wasn't coming off again!

Just an observation, and I don't know whether this works for Giuliettas, but on my sons C1 I took the mirror glasses out by pointing the mirror down as far as possible and then forcing a screwdriver between the two parts of the plastic clip behind the mirror. That way there was no pressure on the glass and again they popped out quite easily. It does just depend how much of the back of the mirror you can see though.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Looks to be a company van, if he's not the boss I would contact them first with images. On note though, he is already so far across I don't think I would have gone for it

G

·
On note though, he is already so far across I don't think I would have gone for it

That's what I was thinking - I'd have backed out. However, it's hard to tell from stills at what point the driver swerved out, as Argo may have already been making his manouvre and unable to react quick enough to avoid damage. Judging by the photos I'd have avoided overtaking regardless, as the driver evidentally can't drive in a straight line.

I'd go down the route of installing chrome or satin silver covers - I personally prefer the satin, but each to their own. If I wasn't planning on returning mine to stock in the future you could have had mine.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is this what you need?
Brilliant, thanks for that :thumbs:

Looks to be a company van, if he's not the boss I would contact them first with images. On note though, he is already so far across I don't think I would have gone for it
That's what I was thinking - I'd have backed out. However, it's hard to tell from stills at what point the driver swerved out, as Argo may have already been making his manouvre and unable to react quick enough to avoid damage. Judging by the photos I'd have avoided overtaking regardless, as the driver evidentally can't drive in a straight line.
The stills are indeed slightly misleading as time is slowed right down. I was pretty much committed by the 2nd frame, since as the driver, my concentration was way ahead of the van (i.e. the overtaking part is a done deed). Interestingly, even though as a precaution I passed as far on the right as possible I wasn't aware of just how far he'd moved over

It was my wife (obviously close to the action and able to take hers eyes off the road) who was adamant he'd deliberately moved to the right as I started overtaking and it was only on reviewing the video that I could see that was the case.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts