Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe this, but a fight has broken out on my PC over who is going to be the 'default search provider' in Windows Explorer. Lot's of programmes all think that they should have this amazing honour. What a load of b*******.

Not only that, but another programme which is supposed to be watching out for viruses and spyware is causing just as much trouble with a 'browser defender'. This programme allegedly stops programmes from forcing themselves to be the 'default browser', but in fact what it does is set its own default (not the one I want) and blocks the other programmes. Is this sad or is this sad? So that's one company who won't be getting their subscription renewed.

I wish the people who write PC software lived in the real world. I'm currently deeply unhappy with many programmes on my PC, including Windows. They are all useless. :mad:

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Grr, don't get me started. I work in IT support and it all drives me mad. I could easily start my own rant on all the big name websites asking for all content to use download managers now.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's only been rendered useless by you installing stuff, I've never-ever-ever encountered anything trying to be the default search provider for Windows Explorer and I've never needed to install any anti-virus software. I do a scan every now and again with Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware (I have all their background processes disabled so they're not providing any normal anti-virus), never install anything that I don't explicitly want and don't open odd e-mail attachments and everything's fine.
If you mean Internet Explorer just use pretty much any other browser at all - Firefox, Opera, Chrome, whatever - they're all much better than Internet Explorer.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's only been rendered useless by you installing stuff, I've never-ever-ever encountered anything trying to be the default search provider for Windows Explorer and I've never needed to install any anti-virus software. I do a scan every now and again with Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware (I have all their background processes disabled so they're not providing any normal anti-virus), never install anything that I don't explicitly want and don't open odd e-mail attachments and everything's fine.
If you mean Internet Explorer just use pretty much any other browser at all - Firefox, Opera, Chrome, whatever - they're all much better than Internet Explorer.
Well because this is a work machine, I only install what is actually needed and I'm very careful. I have other machines to 'use and abuse' :lol: I used to use Spybot and the like, but I found they were missing things, so I started paying for better software.

There are plenty of perfectly legitimate and essential pieces of software that cause problems. Adobe Acrobat and its awful AdobeUpdate.exe spring immediately to mind.

If you don't use anti-virus software, I would seriously consider doing so, especially if you use your PC for online banking. Apparently some of the banks are now being difficult if a customer account is breached and, in their view, the customer PC was not adequately protected.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
. I'm currently deeply unhappy with many programmes on my PC, including Windows. They are all useless. :mad:
The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner :thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts