Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install front fogs and a reversing camera this weekend on the Tiguan. The question is;
Would the insurance companies want to know about these upgrades?

Will they even know if they're upgrades if the car was involved in an accident?

Would these modifications put the price up or down on my premium? This is the main question I want to know.
I'm putting these mods on because my wife is just about to pass her driving test and the camera will come in handy, the chances are she will have a bump so I want to be right and proper if things go through insurances. The fog lights that's my issue I hate the blanking plates on the front number :biglaugh:

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
I doubt they would be very bothered by those sort of modifications. If in any doubt phone them and tell them. :) I can't see it affecting your premiums at all TBH.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I read about many mods carried out by the collective on here, and often wonder if they declare it to ins. companies. As if they find out in the event of a claim, it's claim down the pan.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
People on the Evoque forum are saying their UK
insurance companies are insisting on being
notified of all option ordered with the car,
including glass roofs, wheel sizes, fogs, paint etc,
and having to pay extra premiums.

Rip off Britain, if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
People on the Evoque forum are saying their UK
insurance companies are insisting on being
notified of all option ordered with the car,
including glass roofs, wheel sizes, fogs, paint etc,
and having to pay extra premiums.

Rip off Britain, if you ask me.
You're damn right there. Insurance companies will look for the slightest change in spec to refuse a claim.
A work colleague of mine bought some lovely new wheels & tyres for her Golf. I said to her, once they had been fitted, "Have you told your insurance co"? She said no. I suggested she did. Whether she has or not, I don't know, but in the event of a serious fault claim, if she hasn't she could lose her house even!
There was a guy recently, who advertised something about the bible or his religeous leanings on his car and had a claim refused for failing to notify.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Nev, you are so fortunate residing whence thou dost.:D

10% off for the camera,(got one back and front) you suggested, but as said we pay through the snout for a lot in the UK, and at the first opportunity they dob out and say well we should of been informed?

Not just with MV policies either, can apply to domestic home insurance the squirming reptiles?:irked:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The insurance aren't even allowed to ask about how
many points you have here. Only if you've had your
licence suspended.

If they do find out your points balance somehow
they can be fined for invasion of privacy/data protection.

;)

Glad the camera will save you money
in the long term ZF. ;)

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I've said it before. I'm sure in future the UK car insurers will introduce premiums
based on the colour of your car. Or your star sign. I mean the statistics don't lie.
If Aquarians are having more accidents they should pay higher premiums, Natch.

·
AO Traders
586 Posts
I'm about to install front fogs and a reversing camera this weekend on the Tiguan. The question is;
Would the insurance companies want to know about these upgrades?

Will they even know if they're upgrades if the car was involved in an accident?

Would these modifications put the price up or down on my premium? This is the main question I want to know.
I'm putting these mods on because my wife is just about to pass her driving test and the camera will come in handy, the chances are she will have a bump so I want to be right and proper if things go through insurances. The fog lights that's my issue I hate the blanking plates on the front number :biglaugh:

Hi,

I would recommend notifying your insurer of any changes you make, they may only need to note your policy but it's best to check. The last thing you want is to have to make a claim and it be invalidated because you did not disclose the changes.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I've said it before. I'm sure in future the UK car insurers will introduce premiums
based on the colour of your car. Or your star sign. I mean the statistics don't lie.
If Aquarians are having more accidents they should pay higher premiums, Natch.
I've often wondered how the statistics used by insurance companies stack up against actual probability/likelihood of accident.
In terms of random probability, surely the longer you've been without an accident, the more likely you are to be due one any minute?

(in the same way that the more times you throw a die without getting a six, the probability that the next throw will be a six increases)
Therefore you should get a no-claims loading, not bonus :confused: :lol:

:wink_org:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
(in the same way that the more times you throw a die without getting a six, the probability that the next throw will be a six increases)

No, no, no.

The throws are unrelated. The probability remains the same
for each throw.

It's this kind of thinking that leads people to accept the "statistics"
BS Insurance companies peddle.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
No, the probability of throwing a six is identical every time you throw the die. 1/6 .

The probability of throwing n consecutive sixes is 1/(6^n).

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
No, no, no.

The throws are unrelated. The probability remains the same
for each throw.

It's this kind of thinking that leads people to accept the "statistics"
BS Insurance companies peddle.
Ok, I'm completely wrong!
What were the chances of that?:lol:

So how does this tie-in with the monkey typing out the complete works of Shakespeare if you give him long enough theory?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
No, the probability of throwing a six is identical every time you throw the die. 1/6 .

The probability of throwing n consecutive sixes is 1/(6^n).
Does this mean that if you've just had five accidents, you're 5 times less likely to have a sixth?
:)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts