Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally my wife and I went out to test driving on the W/E – both the GQV and the MA. It will replace our MY2000 156 (and complement the newly acquired Abarth 500). Unfortunately no more demos were available so we were limited to short bursts of the floor stock (only two remaining in the dealer!!)

As usual we don’t see exactly eye to eye with the exact spec of our preferred Giulietta. One of us likes the MA and the other the GQV. No prizes for guessing who likes what

Now I must say the MA was quite a sweet drive. Far better than I expected. The ride was nice, it felt nibble and that engine note was full of old school Italian rorty fizzy niceness. The GQV felt gruntier, but not as much as I was expecting. The ride was a little firmer but not harsh. The engine note was dull as (I know that can be fixed) The MA felt more rev happy. The MA only comes with the 17inch turbines which look pretty dull IMHO. We in Australia only get very limited specs.

Yes the GQV is more boy racer but I have the Abarth for that. The Giulietta is a “we” car where as the Abarth is the “me” car

Now these thoughts were from a result of two very short test drives. I would be interested in others’ comments based on your experiences

Cheers

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Both engines are a bit dissapointing, really - don't have that old feel and with max power output @5.500 rpm (or even 5.000 in TBi) are not at all the old school petrols. Anyway, both being below par, I'd say MA would be a better all-rounder. Still, a Quadrifoglio Verde is a Quadrifoglio Verde...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Fully agree with you - and I don't think it's stupid :).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds stupid, but if running costs aren't an issue, I'd go qv just for that lovely little cloverleaf badge on the side
The white lump of plastic with the cloverleaf on the QV is Naff. Pull it off and get a better vinyl or painted option. You can always put a cloverleaf on a 1.4 and have a wedge of money left over.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It's like putting a "M" badge on a 318d. It's just not right.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went for the QV over the MA as to spec the MA up with all the bits of the QV meant that there was little difference in the price.
Some have expressed ire at the power delivery of the QV but I love it. It is linear as you put your foot down, but it just keeps pulling. It is deceptively rapid, the MA had a feeling that it was really working when you went to give it a poke. The QV will as you say do boy racer but is quite refined when driven in 'N', though if you want a soft car you won't even want the MA sport suspension.
It really does get stared at, though that is true for both, you really need 18" wheels to complete the look, they do so much for the looks of the car with the wheel arches almost being cavernous. The 18 turbines also get a fair bit of comment too and that is down to the dark finish, so without getting the QV or aftermarket jobs, your spokes will be shiny.
Also, to be boring, I get 30mpg, a lot more than I thought I'd be getting and not enough of a difference from the MA to make me care.
In the end the MA felt like a compromise when the QV was the one of the two I wanted all day long.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The white lump of plastic with the cloverleaf on the QV is Naff. Pull it off and get a better vinyl or painted option. You can always put a cloverleaf on a 1.4 and have a wedge of money left over.
I didn't mean literally! I love the subtlety of the cloverleafs and the fact they are exclusive, unlike a GTI, say. The QV looks like a normal G, but those little badges mean you don't want to be racing one at the lights.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I didn't mean literally! I love the subtlety of the cloverleafs and the fact they are exclusive, unlike a GTI, say. The QV looks like a normal G, but those little badges mean you don't want to be racing one at the lights.....
Now I get what you mean. One other reason I went for the 1.4 is that I wanted my sons to be able to drive it. The insurance on the cloverleaf would have excluded them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am unsure of the purpose on the question tbh,
if money/running costs are not an issue then surly it's GQV all the way?
Also i wouldn't say the engines are disappointing, all that power from a 1.4 that happily out paces slightly older 3 litres is incredible!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
all that power from a 1.4 that happily out paces slightly older 3 litres is incredible!
That's a bit of an overstatement - 20 year old 2.0 V6 turbo engine produces 210HP and 305 Nm torque.
Also, it's not all about power but the style also. And MA does not have much of it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dilemma is this – This will be our family car, we want a car that is nice to drive albeit just tottering around the shops, cruising down the highway and flinging it around the twisties. Frankly any issues like lap times around the ‘ring, 0-60 times and top speed are quite irrelevant – which is not to say we do not want a car with a bit of zip !!

And ppl are right get a MA with a few options (twin exhaust, wheels and better sound) and bingo !! it is little different in price to the GV

Need to arrange a better and longer test drive

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Remember that Alfa twin exhaust is just a dummy - you need to go for aftermarket.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The dilemma is this – This will be our family car, we want a car that is nice to drive albeit just tottering around the shops, cruising down the highway and flinging it around the twisties. Frankly any issues like lap times around the ‘ring, 0-60 times and top speed are quite irrelevant – which is not to say we do not want a car with a bit of zip !!
In N-mode the QV is pretty slow and almost boring, it will not be a problem totting around like that. I might be saying that cause i went from a 156 JTD16v M-jet to my QV, but to me the QV only feels stronger when its in D, but ok, then its definitely stronger and faster. I drove the MA as well, and didn´t like it, there is no tourqe in that engine (sorry MA drivers, but there isn´t) so if it was me i would go for the QV any day, and so i did :D
Regarding color the 8c Red is beautiful but not easy to fix when you get damages, or stones chipping it etc. i went for the Maranello red (metallic red) but a lot think its to dark, and it is pretty dark when its dirty. Color is usually up to personel preference, and i don´t think any of the colors are better or worse regarding how strong they are. Red colors are prone to fading though, especially when they are in the sun a lot, it can be prevented by regular waxing

·
Registered
361 Posts
Alfa doesnt give you twin exhaust as an option so there is no dummy exhausts. They only provide you original exhaust part which is seen and you fit it on the secondary market as I did. Now both work of course.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
No, it's meant to be mounted (as far as I remember from the Italian configurator it even said "includes mounting"). I think it's the same with 159.
Twin exhaust is standard and fully operational with the TBi and 2 litre diesels.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
On the Diesel or what? I have fumes comming out of both holes (on my car :lol: )
The op is talking QV or MA not D. As you probably know, the MA has only one exhaust, but there is a dealer/factory option for a second tail pipe. This 2nd tail pipe is a dummy with aesthetics in mind only.
Only the QV & 2.0D's have twin silencers and therefore twin tail pipes that both work.

If the op wants 2 working tail pipes they will either need to fit the QV / 2.0D Alfa item or an after market exhaust system.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts