Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hearing problem and recently took a 2ltr JTS 156 for a test drive. Unfortunately I found it rather noisy compared with my old 2ltr TS Alfa75.

Are any members in a position to tell me if the 1.8TS 156 is much quieter?

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's an interesting observation. I would have imagined the newer car would have better sound insulation and design, never mind the removal of prop-shaft noises etc. Also the cam belts should be quieter than the chains in your 75's Nord lump.

Was it engine noise or road noise? Tyres make a HUGE difference.

On the face of it that sounds like a good reason to stay with the 75 :)

You say you have a hearing problem; I guess you have tinnitus, it could be that it is set off by certain frequencies and maybe the 156 suffers from them.

To determine whether you are imagining it or not you could buy a decibel meter (not dear these days) or download one for your phone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I didn't imagine it. I took a decibel meter with me. The reading was the same as my old Honda Civic, which was known to be a noisy car.

Considering that the 156 Lusso is supposed to be in the executive class, it was a big disappointment.
Thanks anyway.

Ted

That's an interesting observation. I would have imagined the newer car would have better sound insulation and design, never mind the removal of prop-shaft noises etc. Also the cam belts should be quieter than the chains in your 75's Nord lump.

Was it engine noise or road noise? Tyres make a HUGE difference.

On the face of it that sounds like a good reason to stay with the 75 :)

You say you have a hearing problem; I guess you have tinnitus, it could be that it is set off by certain frequencies and maybe the 156 suffers from them.

To determine whether you are imagining it or not you could buy a decibel meter (not dear these days) or download one for your phone.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Does the car have OEM exhuast system?
Budget Tyres?
Powerflexed mounts?
Really need more info on the car that you have test driven to determine if its just that car or normal

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
A standard 2.0 JTS is quieter and near silent compared to a 1.8TS (not loud but more character) from what I have experienced.

G

·
I can't confirm this with any tests but the 2.5V6 is a lot quieter than the 2.0 or 1.6 TS.
Don't ask me how or why but I can only presume it is made on a separate line or factory.

It is definitely less of a resonant boom, I put it down to build quality overall;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help, folk. It seems it might be the case that they were crap tyres on the one I tried. So I'll take your advice and test drive another.

I might also take Terry Thomas' advice and try the 2.5 V6.

Ted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts