Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of a shock this evening coming back from Warwick classic auction, it was dark and my lights were hopeless!, the earths are good and its fitted with relays and the reflectors aren't rusty, I should have removed the covers but even so...... are there any better units that will replace the standards ones?
Also for the second time the main beam relay has blown, any ideas why that keeps happening?
Ta

·
AO COTY Winner 2018
153 Posts
Check the silver on the inside.
Try Osram night breakers in H2 or H4, assuming you don’t have H1s.
Make sure you’ve got a solid 12-12.5v at the connectors to the lamps.

DO NOT FIT LED or HID upgrade kits.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have a look when it stops raining, LED and HID are not an option, apart from being illegal, aftermarket kits are never set up right and the chance of blinding oncoming traffic is very real - cheers

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Just before you start spending, mine are totally standard and are fine, more than enough light to drive safely. Sounds like you've got an issue somewhere especially if the relay keeps blowing.

You could try some Xenon H4's though, they say they give an 130% extra brightness but after fitting them to my camper I couldn't really tell a difference. The lights on that are truly awful, I'd be better putting birthday candles in there!

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I try to avoid driving my LHD S2 at night, being LHD the lights of following cars are dipped right into my door mirror!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine are standard and are not brilliant but acceptable.
The biggest problem I find with driving at night is that you are so low down that oncoming chelsea tractor headlights dazzle even when on dip :grumpy: . I suggest measuring the voltage across the bulb connector when switched on, just to check if you are losing some voltage somewhere in the circuit, should be more or less the same as battery voltage.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them out when i get a chance and let you know what i find

·
Registered
308 Posts
My originals were hopeless in the Giulia. Earlier this year, with some night driving back from Classic Le Mans in mind, I fitted some NOS Wipac Quadoptics, and fitted relays at the same time. Miraculous difference for an all in price of around £40.
Wipac Quadoptics readily available on Ebay.

Steve

·
Registered
212 Posts
My originals were hopeless in the Giulia. Earlier this year, with some night driving back from Classic Le Mans in mind, I fitted some NOS Wipac Quadoptics, and fitted relays at the same time. Miraculous difference for an all in price of around £40.
Wipac Quadoptics readily available on Ebay.

Steve
Good idea. Guessing these are the 7" ones? Do you think it was the lamps or the relays that made the difference?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good idea. Guessing these are the 7" ones? Do you think it was the lamps or the relays that made the difference?
I guess it was a bit of both, but the headlight units that were in the car were the old type sealed beams, and were worse than candles !

Steve

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm assuming its pretty obvious how the headlamps come out, no hidden screws?
No hidden screws, very easy to get them out once the grille is off (on the saloon/ coupe), slightly different on the Spider of course, but still simple.

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts