Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
4,997!

I told you they wouldn't make 5k :D

I believe they were supposed to sell 5,000 Giulias so by that measure it's not a roaring success.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
I really don't see how Alfa Romeo can be doing 'ok' from those figures?

As far as Fiat is concerned, that looks quite worrying to me!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Sold more than Aston Martin.:)

·
Registered
33,748 Posts
I really don't see how Alfa Romeo can be doing 'ok' from those figures?

As far as Fiat is concerned, that looks quite worrying to me!
Significant drop in Jeep sales and where are the new Fiats?
Changing the bumpers and colours on the 500 is not significant and this is about all that's new:
Cronos | FIAT

·
Registered
543 Posts
I wonder how many new vehicles where not registered in December as planned because of the c==k up at the factory, no doubt a few hundred??

·
Registered
380 Posts
DVLA figures total cars registered: (@ end of Q3 Sept 17 )

ALFA ROMEO GIULIA SPECIALE TD AUTO 432
ALFA ROMEO GIULIA SUPER TD AUTO 246
ALFA ROMEO GIULIA SUPER TURBO AUTO 245
ALFA ROMEO GIULIA TECNICA TD AUTO 30
ALFA ROMEO GIULIA TURBO AUTO 39
ALFA ROMEO GIULIA V6 BITURBO QV AUTO 411
ALFA ROMEO GIULIA VELOCE TB AUTO 392

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
What's most worrying is that Abarth, who basically have two rebadged Fiat's, one of which is a decade old, seem to be selling more-or-less the same that Alfa can manage with the massive investment of the new Giorgio platform and double the amount of models (5 if you count the 4C).

Except for the occasional motoring press advert, Abarth don't advertise at all, so you can't even blame Alfa's woeful effort on this front - both in terms of quantity and quality (anyone seen the Stelvio ad with the horrific voiceover?) I would blame lack of dealers/exposure - Abarth has a presence in much of the more prominent Fiat dealer network, don't forget. Alfa doesn't.

Only UK results granted, and we are rather weird with our car buying - we'd rather buy Ford's 'because they're British' when in fact they've basically shafted the UK workforce over recent years and only make engines here now, or VW Group who are the biggest bunch of conmen out there. However this still must be pretty disappointing/worrying for Alfa.

Profit on the other hand, they might do fairly well in - the only FCA model i've seen piled on rental fleets in the last year is the new Fiat Tipo. They seem to have completely slowed down the number of Renegade's and 500X's on rental now, so at least the majority of FCA sales would appear to be private or (a few) company cars. There are huge amounts of new VWs and Audi's driving around, but an awful lot of them are VW UK cars, looking at the number plates - they won't be making them a lot of cash, I reckon.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What's most worrying is that Abarth, who basically have two rebadged Fiat's, one of which is a decade old, seem to be selling more-or-less the same that Alfa can manage with the massive investment of the new Giorgio platform and double the amount of models (5 if you count the 4C).

Except for the occasional motoring press advert, Abarth don't advertise at all, so you can't even blame Alfa's woeful effort on this front - both in terms of quantity and quality (anyone seen the Stelvio ad with the horrific voiceover?) I would blame lack of dealers/exposure - Abarth has a presence in much of the more prominent Fiat dealer network, don't forget. Alfa doesn't.

Only UK results granted, and we are rather weird with our car buying - we'd rather buy Ford's 'because they're British' when in fact they've basically shafted the UK workforce over recent years and only make engines here now, or VW Group who are the biggest bunch of conmen out there. However this still must be pretty disappointing/worrying for Alfa.

Profit on the other hand, they might do fairly well in - the only FCA model i've seen piled on rental fleets in the last year is the new Fiat Tipo. They seem to have completely slowed down the number of Renegade's and 500X's on rental now, so at least the majority of FCA sales would appear to be private or (a few) company cars. There are huge amounts of new VWs and Audi's driving around, but an awful lot of them are VW UK cars, looking at the number plates - they won't be making them a lot of cash, I reckon.
swa my fiorst Giulia ad on tv at wkend, on itv in the evening. ad was sh*e though, completely forgettable, so much so i cant remember the content.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

The major problem for Alfa is the years of bad press around corrosion, reliability and the patchy quality of dealers. It will potentially take Alfa as long to change that perception as it did for VW to change the perception of Skoda.

As someone who loves cars and who has wanted an Alfa for at least 25 years but never considered them as good as other stuff I could buy, I was onto the Giulia QV as soon as it was announced. I put a deposit down as soon as they started taking pre orders and I was prepared to take the risk on whether it would be good enough, just based on the performance spec and the early pictures.

However, the vast majority of would be Giulia buyers are probably still sitting on the fence wondering what reliability and residuals will be like. This will take some time to overcome.

Equally, £65k for a quad is a big ask from a company who, small volume 4C and 8C excluded, have really only sold sub £35k cars in the UK over the last few years.

A great example is a friend of mine who loves performance saloons and I know for a fact would love the quad. However, when I mentioned that I was getting one, his response was "I could never buy an Alfa". Not enough of a petrolhead, obviously, but you can see why Alfa may be struggling to shift the Giulia in the quantities it wants to.

I think that buyers to date are probably made up of previous Alfa owners who know and love the brand and conquest buyers such as myself who have not previously owned an Alfa, but love what the brand represents and are prepared to take a risk that reliability, residuals and dealers are all OK. It is conversion of the BMW/Merc/Audi/VW brigade that will really open up volume to them and that will take time and investment.

·
Registered
380 Posts
"I think that buyers to date are probably made up of previous Alfa owners who know and love the brand and conquest buyers such as myself who have not previously owned an Alfa, but love what the brand represents and are prepared to take a risk that reliability, residuals and dealers are all OK. It is conversion of the BMW/Merc/Audi/VW brigade that will really open up volume to them and that will take time and investment."

Spot on

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think that buyers to date are probably made up of previous Alfa owners who know and love the brand and conquest buyers such as myself who have not previously owned an Alfa, but love what the brand represents and are prepared to take a risk that reliability, residuals and dealers are all OK. It is conversion of the BMW/Merc/Audi/VW brigade that will really open up volume to them and that will take time and investment.
Spot on.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I don't know that the typical purchaser (QF aside, and the QF sells well) cares about residuals, it's all lease or PCP, especially in this class. Reliability maybe a little but a lot of the risk is mitigated.

Brand/product awareness and image are key.

In America, for instance, noone knows what an '[email protected] Romero' is. Oh yeah, the Russian one. Err...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't know that the typical purchaser (QF aside, and the QF sells well) cares about residuals, it's all lease or PCP, especially in this class. Reliability maybe a little but a lot of the risk is mitigated.

In America, for instance, noone knows what an '[email protected] Romero' is. Oh yeah, the Russian one. Err...
Indeed. Even I had to look "residuals" up to see what everyone was banging on about, and then I couldn't have cared less!

·
Registered
5,213 Posts

Well given that the cost of a lease or PCP is largely down to the expected residuals I’d suggest you couldn’t be further from the truth with that.
As it happens the residuals don’t actaully seem to be that bad.
The biggest single problem faced by Alfa are the dealers, due to the lack of them and their perceived quality.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
The major problem for Alfa is the years of bad press around corrosion, reliability and the patchy quality of dealers. It will potentially take Alfa as long to change that perception as it did for VW to change the perception of Skoda.
The problem with the current perception of the 'patchy quality of the dealers' is that it is absolutely correct. This is certainly one of the main issues that keep potential buyers away from Alfa Romeo.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts