1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I had a stainless steel one custom built and fitted for £90, think that is the best way to go. And passed the MOT with it.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
uuwww I wonder if that would fit my 16v jtd.... interesting :eek:)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Won't pass next year though...
Well you say that, there are lots of internet rumours around but I have not seen any official evidence that this is coming in and that it will be applied to older cars .. anyway with this pipe it will be easy enough just to put the old one on for the MOT anyway ...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Surly if the cat is removed and you still have the others in place, and emmissions are OK then there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Before having the dpf removed on my 159 I spoke to a mate who owns and runs an mot station about any changes planned for mot emission testing of diesels and visible removal of dpf's, he told me that he had heard stories about this and spoken to a few officials from the ministry of transport who do the checks on mot stations and at least for the next few years there is nothing planned.

So for the time being it is legal to remove the dpf and or cat from a diesel either by fitting a replacement pipe or by removing the middle of any cats or dpf fitted.

The emission test for a diesel remains as just an opacity test and not an analysis of the gasses as in a petrol car.

On a different subject he did say that it is now illegal to fit an aftermarket hid kit to headlamps designed for halogen lamps

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before having the dpf removed on my 159 I spoke to a mate who owns and runs an mot station about any changes planned for mot emission testing of diesels and visible removal of dpf's, he told me that he had heard stories about this and spoken to a few officials from the ministry of transport who do the checks on mot stations and at least for the next few years there is nothing planned.

So for the time being it is legal to remove the dpf and or cat from a diesel either by fitting a replacement pipe or by removing the middle of any cats or dpf fitted.

The emission test for a diesel remains as just an opacity test and not an analysis of the gasses as in a petrol car.

On a different subject he did say that it is now illegal to fit an aftermarket hid kit to headlamps designed for halogen lamps
:thumbs: exactly what I've heard from proffessionals on the subject

G

·
0 Posts
It's a grey area at best.... But it's open to interpretation of an examiner... the general rule of thumb that we have to adhere to is:
If it's fitted, it has to work... If it's not fitted, it can't be tested;)
Bear in mind that many countries have varied testing processes and differ greatly in emission testing, thus many Marques like Alfa who have an international sale base will fit items to ALL their vehicle's that aren't really required for UK test proceedures, DPF's and Cat's being a prime example....
As you quite rightly say "opacity test only"....
That will be the current test for the foreseable future as far as I have been informed, that is until the Swiss and German's get their own way in relation to standardized emission testing on diesel's that they are pushing like crazy....
Word of warning though.... VOSA are currently planning to do random diesel emission checks in central London after March 2012, even on non-commercial vehicle's as part of the EURO5 legal requirement:tut:
£1000 fine if items are missing and possible confiscation of vehicle if seriously modified to a point that it has no effective anti-pollution levels.... Watch your black smoke if you live or work in the specified areas:thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyway :rolleyes: back on topic ... anyone used those decat's???

G

·
0 Posts
anyway :rolleyes: back on topic ... anyone used those decat's???
Yeah sorry Chris... Not on an Alfa but a regular customer bought a one from this company for a Mondeo 2.0 TDCi, It still passed the MOT and has done for the past three years if that's any help mate:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The new MOT documents (which I posted a link to a few months back) state that if a cat was originally fitted then it still has to be present and it not being there is a reason for failure (regardless of the emissions test).

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The new MOT documents (which I posted a link to a few months back) state that if a cat was originally fitted then it still has to be present and it not being there is a reason for failure (regardless of the emissions test).

Any chance of a Linky???

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah sorry Chris... Not on an Alfa but a regular customer bought a one from this company for a Mondeo 2.0 TDCi, It still passed the MOT and has done for the past three years if that's any help mate:thumbs:

:thumbs: thanks matey

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
how would they know unless they have vast knowledge of every model of car out there especiallly diesels what if someones removed their DPF sorry they cant IMO

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I'm sure they will have exactly that, similar to the one they have for abs system lights etc. MOT says nothing about DPF's, only CAT's.

G

·
0 Posts
I see your point mate, I really do.
But in the real world of MOT testing we have only 45 minutes maximum to actually test the vehicle, we can not go past that time frame.

So bear in mind that if an examiner is in any doubt to wether a car had original equipment fitted or not, it means a trawl through the VOSA manual "which is limited in it's comprehensiveness" and then resorting to either emailing them for clarification OR calling the helpline, which takes a minimum of 15 minutes to get through the automated system of number punching the chassis number etc... So then we are left with a maximum of 30 minutes to complete the test...

Fortunately, VOSA/MOT want the vehicle to be safe first and foremost with suspension/tyres/brakes/ seatbelts/ structural integrity and relative pipework as THE prime directive... Then ancilliary parts like lights /mirrors/ horns... So where does that leave us in a practical sense?

That's exactly why they leave it to the examiners discretion within the testing proceedure and experience to know if a CAT is actually required.... Not ideal but, that's the crux of it, time frames must be adhered to in order to preserve "fairness" apparently!
Any mechanic/ mot examiner can find many, many more minor faults given time to do so but......
It's all well and good a VOSA technician sitting in a VOSA test bay being able to do a full examination with all the relevant information directly to hand, all within 45 minutes.... Unfortunately 99% of approved testing stations don't have that back up or support and have to rely on a "line busy" phone call for clarification.... Never perfect but in the eyes of VOSA, it works!:(

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sure they will have exactly that, similar to the one they have for abs system lights etc. MOT says nothing about DPF's, only CAT's.

either post a link to the VOSA website which backs up your claim or I'll just consider this to be more internet hearsay ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've already posted the link, use the search function.

Yeah thanks for that :rolleyes:

They key thing is that because this cat is combined with a silencer and the replacement I've been looking at also contains the silencer (and therefore could contain a cat), an MOT tester will not be able to perform a visual check to determine if the cat is missing.

Anyway as I've said eariler I can always replace the cat just for the test (as petrol drivers have been doing for years), obviously no one was really interested in your thread about MOT changes, and it doesn't really have any relevance to the question I asked here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts