Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought i'd have a crack at doing a decarb job on the 3.2 in my 159.

I suppose it might be in need of it, it would probably really benefit from it. as all direct injections are prone carbon build up through the intake side of the head/intake manifold and throttle body.

bought some crc valve/engine conditioner, its already proven to work, along with the likes of threebonds and subaru upper cyl cleaner.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I think the proper thing to have done is walnut blasting. If you use the CRC Cleaner I'd be interested in reading a step by step blog on how you went about it if you're willing to keep this thread updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the proper thing to have done is walnut blasting. If you use the CRC Cleaner I'd be interested in reading a step by step blog on how you went about it if you're willing to keep this thread updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok, thats a good idea.

i'll take some photos and short videos along the way and write up a DIY guide.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Google for 'Engine carbon clean'.

This system is claimed to make a difference although I cannot seeing it shifting the carbon from the back of my V6's intake valves. For £99 I'd give it a try had there been a local agent.

My intake manifold and throttle body are remarkably clean for a 100k mile 11year old engine and don't require attention, but I would like to clean up the intake valves in situ.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they have those carbon cleaning services here in new zealand, but no one has a machine like that down i live, it's not worth the 4 hr drive to get one either.

My car has a pretty solid service history, but seeing the former owner lived out in a rural area for the last 4 yrs of ownership, i don't believe the country mechanics would be care about performing internal engine treatments. fuel is pretty **** out there too, alot only have 91 ron.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Had the intake manifold off mine when I replaced the spark plugs and coil packs, noticed a fair bit of crud build up around the valves and have been wondering if there is anything I can do to clean down there without removing the heads? Mines bad enough and its at 45K!:paranoid:
Annoying as previously using something like redex would have sorted this, but no chance with it being direct injection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts