• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,238 Posts
This is a dreadfully compromised vote, but I'm going with Labour, after a lot of soul searching.
Steve votes Labour, what a surprise :LOL:

I'm not bothering, again. And I won't bother to vote in this poll either.

·
Premium Member
45,238 Posts
I've been surprised by how disinterested a lot of my friends / family have been in the run up to this election too, I think everyone has had enough. What is more interesting to me is what turnout will be, my feeling is that it might be lower than 2017, certainly lower than the referendum.

·
Premium Member
77,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So much bile and indifference evident within one society. It's almost as if a large vested element has deliberately split society in such a way that the splintered factions cannot subsequently reassemble themselves together in foreseeable future, thus disabling any possibility of effective opposition to default hegemony.

·
Registered
13,658 Posts
I'm honestly not going to bother. Lost my polling card anyway (I know you can vote without it but I can't be mithered).

·
Premium Member
45,238 Posts
Well, that went well.
I must admit I didn't expect that to be the result, very surprising, reminds me a bit of 1997. I guess there has been a big change in the opinions of people who otherwise wouldn't express their views on social media etc, as my Twitter feed & FB feed had quite a lot of Labour voters & campaigners posting things.

Who should be the next Labour leader then? What direction should the party take now?

·
Registered
44,764 Posts
WTF is Corbyn doing hanging on the leadership after the worst defeat since the 1930s! Next Labour leader, for me, needs to be someone like Kier Starmer or Yvette Cooper. I'd love to see Jess Phillips up there, she has a real feeling for the job and would bring passion and common sense to it.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I doubt there are many people anywhere who felt confident in the party they voted for. There's a vacuum of leadership, and given the tendency to be motivated more by dislike than by what you want, it was a competition to find the most pathetic party leader, which Corbyn won easily. I voted Lib Dem, because they are roughly centre-left which is where my sympathy normally lies, but Swinson lacked any presence as a leader and played an unfortunate part in the sell-out coalition government period.

Saw some analysis somewhere suggesting those who'd voted Conservative were motivated mainly by their reputation for being better managers of the economy. Labour voters (the poll alleged) were more concerned about the honesty of the leadership, whereas Conservatives (by implication) were more resigned to the idea there weren't any trustworthy politicians.

We should really care more about the policies, but when they're produced out of a hat during election campaigning, how can you take them seriously?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Ours is a safe Tory seat, but we lost our MP, who had a strong reputation as a constituency man and was respected by his senior civil servants (or so one of them told me). Jo Johnson: he's left politics in order to spend less time with his family.

·
Registered
13,658 Posts
My area for the first time since the 30's (or some such long time) now has a Conservative MP. I suspect my council tax will rise massively this year.

·
Premium Member
77,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Our Labour MP lost her seat, replaced by a tory weasel who claims to have fallen in love with the town (to the extent that he is even considering moving here from the small N Yorks market town he lives in).

AS A DIRECT RESULT, the world reknowned and eponymous Locomotion No 1 (resident for over 160 years in Darlington - world-wide understood as the birthplace of the railways) is moving to fecking Shildon, which is dangerous woolyback country and no bleedin mistake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts