Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had my phase 2 1998 2.0 GTV for 6 years. It is 13 years old and I am the second careful owner - really I have all of the bills and FSH from the first.

During that time I have put 110k miles on the clock and it is up to 155k miles.
It has performed well - yes it has cost a bit - powerflex rear bushes, still going strong 110k later. New clutch - again it has done over 100k. It drives sweetly and hugs the road like a go-cart. Serviced regularly. At the moment it has good tyres, exhaust is sound and brakes all recently done.

Driving to work the radiator went. I saw the temperature rising turned on the heater and it dropped. Then it rose again despite the fan running- so I stopped. The temp gauge didn't go above 100. I looked at the coolant level and it was low but visible. I then noticed a drip underneath the radiator - as I looked I heard a "pop" and all of a sudden coolant gushed out from the front of the rad. I thought I'd had a lucky escape - so got towed in and had the radiator replaced.

You can probably guess - yep - head gasket has gone. It blows out (I put a bottle under the
filler cap release valve hose) a litre in 30 miles.

My dilemma? Do I write it off (break it) or pay £1000 to get it fixed? (it needs skimming, valve re-setting and, of course , replacement cam/balancing belts and followers - only done 12 k ago.

My heart says "Yes". My head says "enough". I don't have enough money to buy a reasonable car until next year btw but I could spend £1k on something to get me around until funds allow me to get my next Alfa.

Advice please.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem Paul. My advice would to get your own car fixed unless you can buy you temporary one from someone you know personally and can trust. A thousand pounds can buy you a whole heap of someone else's problems out in the open market

V

·
0 Posts
Scrap it. You'll get £400 maybe even £500 if you are lucky. Add that to the £1000 budget for repair or new runabout and you've got £1500 and for that you can get a sorted phase 1 right here or take a gamble and buy one for a bit less something like this :cool:

I'd be tempted by this

*It's not my TS for sale, that's just the name of the thread.

·
0 Posts
V6 is right, you could get a sorted Ts for £1500

Even if he is on a sales pitch:lol:

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
V6 - yeah I could scrap it but I could also break it and get more than £500. I already have people interested in various bits (interior which is immaculate red leather, lights and - hey - the radiator is good). I would be happy to dismantle it myself (I've done it before) and know that, in time you do make a reasonable money. The plate "S8 GTV" is saleable.

I am tempted by a 3.0 - but for £1500ish and with no known history but "loads of receipts" - nah, I'll wait until next year and get a decent one. I also don't want a phase 1 2.0 (hate the wheels and black underbits).

Part of me is thinking, buy an old banger for £500 (I need to drive to work until I retire) and, next year fix the GTV (Liz is attached to it and I am not far behind her). We have had some really good times in it (and, yes, that is open to innuendo but not intended) and still look at it and think "yeah". As I say my heart tends to rule my head.

I guess what I am really asking is for heaps of people to tell me :-

"It's had it's time mate - get rid".

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Dunno if this helps, but if it still drives, get it over to Jamie Porter. I'm pretty sure he said it was 750-850 to fix a head gasket on a 4 cylinder petrol, but maybe you're getting other work done in your 1000. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dunno if this helps, but if it still drives, get it over to Jamie Porter. I'm pretty sure he said it was 750-850 to fix a head gasket on a 4 cylinder petrol, but maybe you're getting other work done in your 1000. :)
Yep that is about right - then you add the 20% VAT..................

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you want to let it go. If you break it, think of it living on in other gtvs:)

I picked up a 156 v6 which I could drive for a year without doing anything on it (touch wood, so far so good), for 500 english pounds. Could do with suspension wishbones but not desperatley.

Surprised me what 500 quid can get you

V

·
0 Posts
V6 - yeah I could scrap it but I could also break it and get more than £500. I already have people interested in various bits (interior which is immaculate red leather, lights and - hey - the radiator is good). I would be happy to dismantle it myself (I've done it before) and know that, in time you do make a reasonable money. The plate "S8 GTV" is saleable.

I am tempted by a 3.0 - but for £1500ish and with no known history but "loads of receipts" - nah, I'll wait until next year and get a decent one. I also don't want a phase 1 2.0 (hate the wheels and black underbits).

Part of me is thinking, buy an old banger for £500 (I need to drive to work until I retire) and, next year fix the GTV (Liz is attached to it and I am not far behind her). We have had some really good times in it (and, yes, that is open to innuendo but not intended) and still look at it and think "yeah". As I say my heart tends to rule my head.

I guess what I am really asking is for heaps of people to tell me :-

"It's had it's time mate - get rid".

How quickly do you need a working vehicle?

Slightly off topic - Why don't you consider receipts history. My car has all the stamps in the book (I'm guessing that's the history) but without the receipts to tell what exactly has been done isn't it a bit pointless? I'd rather have the receipts documenting exactly what has been done at what cost and what parts were used rather than a book of dealer stamps.
Anyway V6 GTVs have come down a lot in price recently and a good one can be had for under £2k. I guess the price of fuel is the biggest factor in that.

If you know how to strip down the car and have done it before you must have some mechanical knowledge, why not do the head gasket yourself. Save a bit of cash. Obviously you'll still have to send the head off to be skimmed but still you'll be saving on the rest of the labour charges.

If you love her and know the rest of the car is sound repair her. Especially if your only going to get another P2 twinny.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Yep that is about right - then you add the 20% VAT..................
I've only ever known him quote inc VAT prices. If I'm right and a couple of hundred quid makes a difference to your decision give him a call tomorrow morning.

HTH :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
What are you like with a spanner, Paul?

If you're reasonably competent you could pick up a 2nd hand complete engine from eBay for £300-£400 and put it in yourself, or if you're not confident you could get a local mobile mechanic to help you for a couple of hundred pounds I'd have thought. It seems daunting if you've not done it before, but engine swaps are not that bad if you allow enough time and are methodical.

That way you could spend the money in "slow time" to get the old lump reconditioned while still using the car.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and say scrap it (break it). You're putting money into a sinking ship as more and more parts succumb to wear and tear. The cost of the repair is most certainly more than the value of the car, so just buy another, and then you've got spares ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.

Let me explain - I was brought up on the mechanics of cars. I have stripped and rebuilt (getting the bits back from people who reground crankshaft, rebored the block, skimmed the head etc) engines in the past. Yes - I could save £400 or so in labour but I have reached an age where I have lost the interest in doing so. £400 is not a make or break situation - although, as I have said funds are tight for a few months but - £1k is viable.

Just not sure whether it is worth spending that on a 13 year old car - even though I want to.

Not really helping am I ?

Edit - just seen BigGinge's post - you have a point.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and say scrap it (break it). You're putting money into a sinking ship as more and more parts succumb to wear and tear. The cost of the repair is most certainly more than the value of the car, so just buy another, and then you've got spares ;)
I agree. Sinking £1K in a 150K TS makes no sense at all. Just buy another and use the best bits from each to make one decent car, then sell the rest.

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree. Sinking £1K in a 150K TS makes no sense at all. Just buy another and use the best bits from each to make one decent car, then sell the rest.
Hmmmmmmmmm...........I hadn't thought of that - good idea. And then I could still get a V6 next year when funds are available.

Tempting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a thought, if the thermostat was stuck closed it would throw the water out pretty quickly, I would have a sniffer test to make sure the head has gone, rare to go if they haven,t cooked themselves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also check waterpump is working ( take the small pipe off the top of the expansion tank and run the engine ) and check for an air lock

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys - sniffer test confirmed head gasket after new rad fitted. I knew it wasn't the thermostat btw as the rad was uniformally warm when up to temp. Similarly the water pump is ok - it pressurises when cold :(

I seriously appreciate the thoughts though - I could easily have missed something and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
829 Posts
It's a losing battle. If it was me i would strip the car and get either a TS or V6. There are some very decent V6s going for around £2k

The car has served you well, break and let it keep other GTVs on the road.....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts