Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
23,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving my Spider on Sunday with no problems.
All of a sudden there was a clattering and the oil light came on. I immediately declutched and coasted to the side. By the time I had stopped the engine has seized solid. There had been no warnings whatsoever - no noises, no warning lights no overheating. The oil level was at the top and the coolant level where it should be.

It is going in to Avanti Autos in Ipswich tomorrow. I think I will go for a rebuild rather than an unknown secondhand engine but I will await the extent of the damage.

S***!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds bad... This does not happen often. Oil pump faillure maybye? Hope you can have it sorted before winter falls...

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,147 Posts
Man that is bad news - I know how you love that thing...
Hope you can get it sorted.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nightmare. Although I'd trust the Busso after a rebuild more so than some of the modern turbo engines.
The Alfa mechanics will have plenty of experience with the engine and I'd guess the tolerances are more forgiving.

Had my head gasket go at 88k miles, got a mini rebuild and it's still running great at 160k.

I got a GTA clutch and Q2 fitted whilst the engine was out, sliver linings as such.

Never thought about an oil pump failure :-O, wonder what precautions can be taken.

Good luck with the garage visit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My sympathies - that sounds worryingly like a rod or main bearing has let go in a big way. Mario is the man though, tell him to take the engine out of his 3.2!

·
Administrator
23,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My sympathies - that sounds worryingly like a rod or main bearing has let go in a big way. Mario is the man though, tell him to take the engine out of his 3.2!
Mario is the man. I have been going to him since Avanti opened.
I am customer no 8!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Awk Paul.....sorry to hear that :(

We are taking the 156 to Donegal on Saturday for a week's holiday......

You will probably have jinxed us.

Hope you get it sorted.(y)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sorry to hear your bad new, I know exactly how you feel due to recent cambelt snap. Good luck with getting it all sorted🍀

·
Administrator
23,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So we are a month or so on.

Mario found a replacement engine that has done 80k, mine was at 130k. It comes from a 166 so hopefully it was driven more sedately than I do!. It looks good - went to see it today.

My alternator and starter motor are going on it (both 18 months old). I am having the clutch replaced whilst the engine is out. New belts, water pump and plugs of course.

It is due an MOT so that maybe will up the cost - but hey!

Just waiting for the flywheel to be skimmed - I have the solid version - so it should be up and running next week.

·
Administrator
23,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what was the diagnosis of the original failure? Cambelt or something else?
As far as we can tell it was the oil pump - it just "gave up"! All of the belts were less than 18 months old and intact.
There was no warning whatsoever just a total lack of oil pressure and instant death. There had been no knocking noises or anything untoward - in fact the engine had been sounding as sweet as it ever had.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ouch... I've seen oil pump shafts shear on some cars but its rare. You've been super unlucky there - I guess you know that!
On the plus side you now have a lower miles Busso with all the jobs done on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts