Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why oh why do you let your small commercial vehicles rust like they do? Walking past a 10 reg Mercedes panel van this morning and every panel had signs of rot, the rear doors were going rotten at the bottom of the doors, the leading edge of the bonnet was manky ! Even the top of the windscreen where the seal meets the metal was that tell tale brown colour.

Why do you let this happen? Your cars and large commercial vehicles seem to be rot proof if treated right. Please do something about your vans ! :paperbag: It says a lot when Peugeot make a more durable panel van than Mercedes ! :lol:

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
i've always wondered why commercial vehicles - esp vans - rot so quickly. I guess if they are company owned, maybe the drivers care less for them, so things like doors get opened into things more readily. Also, lots of stuff (tools etc) gets dragged into/humped out of vans, so maybe the paint on opening panels gets more of a battering than a privately owned car, hence the protection gets removed quicker than on cars and the rust sets in sooner.

Can't say i pay that much attention to vans to have noted whether Merc vans rot more than most, but come to think of it I've seen some Sprinters in a shocking state!

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Why do we build anything out of a material that rusts...

Especially cars, why does any car rust these days

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've always wondered why commercial vehicles - esp vans - rot so quickly. I guess if they are company owned, maybe the drivers care less for them, so things like doors get opened into things more readily. Also, lots of stuff (tools etc) gets dragged into/humped out of vans, so maybe the paint on opening panels gets more of a battering than a privately owned car, hence the protection gets removed quicker than on cars and the rust sets in sooner.

Can't say i pay that much attention to vans to have noted whether Merc vans rot more than most, but come to think of it I've seen some Sprinters in a shocking state!
Mercedes seem particularly bad Scud, the Sprinters are appalling particularly the slightly older ones !

Volkswagen used to make the LT on the Sprinter platform and now make the Crafter on the same platform as similar Mercedes vans. The VWs seem a lot less prone to rotting. It has to be something to do with the type or amount of rust protection Mercedes use.

I admit it.... I'm a van nerd, once a van driver always a van driver. :paperbag:

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
yep, I'm with you there ADF - some Sprinters are not a good advert for the manufacturer, that's for sure.

It's interesting what you said about the LT van. My dad said something about the VW LT and Sprinter connection a couple of years back (not sure how we got onto the subject of vans during a BBQ, but there you go! :)) and I wasn't really paying that much attention to what he was saying probably because I was negotiating a chicken wing or something :)

So is the LT a rebadged Sprinter then? I might do a quick Google image search later to see what's what in the world of vans. :)

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
There is an 09 plate Ford Transit opposite my house with a surprising amount of rot in it.

The old Vaxhall Movano at my old work had none at all despite being abused, and VW vans don't seem to rust either.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Why oh why do you let your small commercial vehicles rust like they do? Walking past a 10 reg Mercedes panel van this morning and every panel had signs of rot, the rear doors were going rotten at the bottom of the doors, the leading edge of the bonnet was manky ! Even the top of the windscreen where the seal meets the metal was that tell tale brown colour.

Why do you let this happen? Your cars and large commercial vehicles seem to be rot proof if treated right. Please do something about your vans ! :paperbag: It says a lot when Peugeot make a more durable panel van than Mercedes ! :lol:
Mercedes nearly always had a history of bodyrot, it's in fact the late 80s cars that weren't so bad.

Peugeot doesn't make panel vans, they're all fiats really.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

I haven't seen an Iveco Daily that had rust though, at least not without accident Damage. Certainly nothing since the third gen (starting in 2000)

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
Mercedes nearly always had a history of bodyrot, it's in fact the late 80s cars that weren't so bad.

We have a Peugeot van at my current work. It is a 2005 example.

The engine doesn't sound like a diesel, and it goes well too.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I would love a van, drove the big sprinters for work many years ago and would really get some use out of one with the amount of diy I do.

Maybe one day.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep, I'm with you there ADF - some Sprinters are not a good advert for the manufacturer, that's for sure.

It's interesting what you said about the LT van. My dad said something about the VW LT and Sprinter connection a couple of years back (not sure how we got onto the subject of vans during a BBQ, but there you go! :)) and I wasn't really paying that much attention to what he was saying probably because I was negotiating a chicken wing or something :)

So is the LT a rebadged Sprinter then? I might do a quick Google image search later to see what's what in the world of vans. :)
There are obvious differences in styling with the VW versus the Mercedes so it's not as simple as a badge swap. They are built on the same platform, probably in the same factory. My personal preference, nothing to do with rust, is the VW. I think it looks better and the the driver's cabin is a nicer place to be.

I know the Ducato, Relay and Boxer are the same van with different badges but some of them do say Peugeot on the back.

Compare a 10 year old Ducato to a 10 year old Sprinter, it's the reverse of the cars in the 80s and 90s. The German rots, the Italian doesn't.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would love a van, drove the big sprinters for work many years ago and would really get some use out of one with the amount of diy I do.

Maybe one day.
I like vans for everyday stuff, something to do with the driving position and being slightly higher up. I don't regret buying the Skoda at all but I would love to have bought a van instead.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
also, did the Sprinter have some of rear brake balance issue when braking hard when loaded lightly? This is sort of ringing a bell in my head.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
We have a Peugeot van at my current work. It is a 2005 example.

The engine doesn't sound like a diesel, and it goes well too.
take a look at the suspension parts, or anywhere under the bonnet. all italian, except possibly the engine.

the 2.3 used by fiat gets rated higher for noise, at least currently.

·
Registered
36,829 Posts
The smallest Mercedes van now is a rebadged Renault called a Citan or something and the next Crafter will not be built alongside the Sprinter so it's difficult to generalise about Mercedes commercial vehicles nowadays. You can only generalise the customers happily pay a premium on anything carrying the three-pointed star.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The "Traffic" "Vivaro" genre of vans appear to be pretty much rust free. Yes, of course, vans will get abused by all trades, and once all the paint is scratched either inside or out......off they go.
I rented a VW van recently to drive to the Lakes, and was not impressed at all.......Old 5 speed gearbox compared to 6 in the traffics, no inbuilt sat nav, Square ar*e syndrome from an uncomfortable seat....dreadful.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Really simple. All truck cabs and body vans are protected with cataphoretic treatment. They put them at factory completely into big bowl where chemical and electrical processes engaged. They are supplied with 10 rust years warranty. If you have a body damage which normally is it is not a case any more longer. And again, every third commercial vehicle is Mercedes roughly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts