Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a face lifted 1.8 156 Veloce on 04 plate, now in its 3rd year warranty. Since new the car has had the following:

New speedo
New info centre
New clutch (loud hum in reverse gear)
New steering rack
New radiator
Burst power steering hose
Numerous drop links and anti-rollbars

And I must say my that my local Alfa dealer (Benfield, Newcaslte) has bent over backwards to ensure that these problems were fixed. Up until my 36,000 service there were no problems and no questions asked.

Then the Alfacare 3rd year warranty kicked in and I fell foul of the +/- 1000 miles service grace rule. My steering rack developed a loud grinding noise and Alfacare refused to pay for it as I had my 36,000 mile service performed at 38,100 miles. I was facing a bill upwards of £750, the service manager at my local dealer argued and argued my case in the end Alfacare referred the claim directly to Alfa and the claim was immediately settled.

So last night when my 156 left one of its drive shafts on the A1 I thought hear we go again, the Alfacare merry-go-round. However today I was surprised to be informed that they simply said yes.

I must admit that dealing with Alfacare is normally a painfull experience, perhaps Alfa should simply offer a 3 year manufacturer warrenty as they generally end up paying for the work from their goodwill budget.

The 1000 mile grace should be extended it is not always enough, its easy to cover 1000 miles in under 2 weeks especially if the dealer is busy, you are busy or you simply don't have the available cash. It should also be made clear when you buy an Alfa of the warranty pitfalls. Especially if you are anything like me, I just slung the paper work/manuals etc in the back of the car and proceeded to enjoy.

Even though I've had my share of problems I'd still have another Alfa :) .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its good that you are still optimistic. I agree about the third year being a proper Alfa warranty.
I am still awaiting the return of my beautiful car. Had first call from Alfacare/Alfa UK to say engine on the way to dealer today. :D :D :D

Like you I have a good dealer who is prepared to stand up for their customers. From what I read -- Lucky us. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi

Nice to hear of your positive experiences with Alfa Care, as my 147 is currently at the Motorvogue dealers in Northampton with a Motor Control System Failure fault.

Motor Control System Failure – 147 Jtd

Mine is a 04 plate, so obviously now in the third year or Alfacare part of its manufacturer’s warranty, and has only ever been serviced at main dealers, so I don’t foresee any problems arising.

Great news with the engine NickG, I have read a few of your posts on the forum recently, and it sounds like you have had a bit of a nightmare!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mines an 04 plate - had new rack, numerous lambda sensors. Complained to Alfacare, said that I had missed a service by a short while and washed their hands of it. Luckily I had a third party warranty that were a lot more responsive.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
benfield newcastle have taken great care of me thru my woes (blown engine, various examiner sessions, lots of none standard parts advice...)

good local garage, despite the alfa reputation!

unfortunately im out of warrenty now, that said, if i was in it i think i may have invalidated it by stipping and rebuilding the engine to my own spec!

glad you got the rack sorted, nothing worse than spending unplanned money!

ps, welcome abroad! you going to come along to the northeast monthly meet on sunday?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/international-events/65869-north-east-meet-4th-feb.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
Jorden.
You had better believe it. However after appealing to the Dealer Principle at Meridien followed by a letter (recorded delivery) to the MD of Alfa UK things have gone as they should have from the beginning. Had another phone call from Alfa Uk today confiming that engine at dealer. They have even been trying both home and work numbers. God bless them.

They can do it if they want so Alfa UK 'go to it boys and girls' as deep down we love the cars. :inlove:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Marko.

If you need a good non alfa indie (Morgan Lagonda plus others) try I&J Macdonald at Maiden Law Lanchester County Durham. Might cost you but the engineering will be good.
All the best from an exiled Geordie.

3-1 tonight. Howay the lads :D :cheese: :inlove:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marko,

Glad to be here and thanks for the invite. I didn't realise there was a local club. I agree Benfield is one of the better Alfa dealers.

My car is still being repaired, so providing I get it back in time I'll do my best to make it. Apparently the main/central drive shaft assembly has been replaced.

Fingers crossed when my drive shaft decided to leave the rest of the car it didn't do any other damage on its way out. I'm thinking cam belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts