Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.*

I'm looking to buy my first *****. I have my eye on a Brera but may opt for a GT yet. Ive heard all the ***** horror stories regarding their reliability and while I try and tune them out I have to admit they have had an effect on me. As a result I've pretty much ruled out buying from a none ***** approve garage or a private seller. I figure that the approved dealership will at least try to not flog me a car ready to keel over and die? Problem is I can't decide if I'm just being paranoid. I could save myself a couple of grand and buy elsewhere or even use the money to get a better spec from a random car show room or private seller.*

I don't know enough about cars to know if I'm about to buy a turkey so am leaning towards being safe and not sorry. I'm Manchester based so my nearest dealership is Mangoletsi in Knutsford.

What do you think? Is it worth the extra cash buying from an approved dealer??

Thanks

R

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
If I'm honest with you, it seems you are over concerned about buying a Brera. I don't own one but I do own two Alfa's. Both have been better than a previous Passat but perhaps not as stable as an Accord I had before the Passat.
Newer cars are without doubt more complex and IMHO are perhaps a little prone to minor annoying faults (and some bigger) than older late 90's cars. I believe late 90's cars to be the height of reliability as tolerances and systems improved without too much complexity.

In essence I believe Alfas are no worse today than any other modern car but (always a but) if you are so concerned about what you read (look at other marques, you will find problems too) then maybe choose another car. :thumbs:

None of my Alfas have had any major issues.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Spend a little time reading up on here about the car you like then maybe pay someone to inspect the private sale car, then when your happy use the money you save buying privately on a decent warranty

Assuming that buying from a dealer guarantees trouble free motoring is naive at best. Also whats with the **** please tell me you know how to spell Alfa? (and not *****) If not maybe best to call it a day now!

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
If you know only a little about cars and you don't have a knowlegable mechanic/mate then you have only two real options:

1) Buy the lowest mileage car that you can afford, from the classified ads - Pistonheads or Auto Trader.

Find a private seller rather than a trader since traders often have the worst facilities to prep' their cars, the least interest in Alfas and their foibles and the least well organised process for making sure you get all the books and keys (tend to live in a filing cabinet with 200 others).

The private seller will be more "honest" in that if something doesn't work or is an issue, they're less well placed to conceal it (unscrupulous folk have been known to take bulbs out to hide sensor failure warning lights etc.).. they will have the manual and all the keys and can tell you anything that they've done or has happened to the car.

The newer the car, the less likely it is to have had too many dramas in its life.

2) Use the main dealer. They're usually :)D) more organised, so you'll get the books and the keys. You'll have a warranty and they'll have prepared the cars for sale, fixing any minor issues. You can also negotiate things like them replacing any almost-worn tyres etc. or giving the car a service if one is coming up.. because it doesn't cost them as much as it does us retail punters.

Main dealers do get a kicking on here.. mostly because Alfa Owners mostly have OCD and care about their cars, so they notice every little defect.. :D but Alfa dealers have been trying hard to up their game, so you should be able to put some faith in that. Remember that for every horror story on here, there's probably 100 transactions that go very smoothly... :)

Whatever you do, increase your chances of being lucky by reading up on the common problems (browse the Brera forum).. so that you can check for specific faults that occur on the model you're interested in. Flat spots on the petrol 2.2.. DPF problems on the diesels.. it's all in here (though you're going to buy a 1750TBi, isn't it? :thumbs:)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
35,763 Posts
Just remember a dealer will not fix everything in preparation for sale as customers will not notice all the cosmetic niggles but may ask for a couple of items to be done , such as scuffed alloys. If a car does not sell after a given number of days at some dealers it gets moved on so they don't want to spend money preparing it for another dealer!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
i looked at the driver reviews of Brera's on autotrader last week out of interest. of the small number of total reviews (22) there wasnt a single person who had a bad word to say about them. A good percentage of these people had bought them as a first time alfa on the grounds of how stunning they looked.

In fact if you look at driver reviews for any alfa model its very rareto see anything other than extremely posivitve results.

So id look more at this sort of review to find out how they are rather than autoexpress and the rest of them

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree with Ralfs post above. But if buying a diesel i wouldnt be too concerned with buying one with high mileage. For example a 2-3yrd old car with 90k on the clock will probably have less issues than a 4-5yr old with only 30k on the clock, as on the whole they will more than likely have less wear and tear doing motorway miles in 6th gear than stop start short trips round town. - probably be cheaper too! But ask the private seller how he mainly uses the car to get some idea.

Either way you wont be disappointed with it as it really does bring a smile to your face.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hi all.*

I'm looking to buy my first *****. I have my eye on a Brera but may opt for a GT yet. Ive heard all the ***** horror stories regarding their reliability and while I try and tune them out I have to admit they have had an effect on me. As a result I've pretty much ruled out buying from a none ***** approve garage or a private seller. I figure that the approved dealership will at least try to not flog me a car ready to keel over and die? Problem is I can't decide if I'm just being paranoid. I could save myself a couple of grand and buy elsewhere or even use the money to get a better spec from a random car show room or private seller.*

I don't know enough about cars to know if I'm about to buy a turkey so am leaning towards being safe and not sorry. I'm Manchester based so my nearest dealership is Mangoletsi in Knutsford.

What do you think? Is it worth the extra cash buying from an approved dealer??

Thanks

R
If you are Manchester based your closest dealer might be Bauer Millett. I know who I'd recommend!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts