Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and gals,

Going to see my first 147 tomorrow and wanted to know your thoughts before I make an offer...

Silver 2002, manual 2.0 Lusso TS 3dr, leather and all the extras, 21,000 miles, fsh, 1 owner £6250.

The cambelt hasn't been changed and from reading this forum it I have since learnt that it definataly needs doing. Seller informed me that he had spoken to his local dealer who said that they would do it for £178 due to it being a Alfa problem? Is this true, not come across this before, or should I insist that it is done before offering, ie; offer £6k.

There are Selespeed alternatives that I have found (same price/mileage & spec) but cannot decide :confused:

Thanks in advance, looking forward to becomming a usual suspect on this forum and becomming a alfa owner:D

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
It's not just the belt that needs changing but the tensioners too. They are just as, if not more, prone to failure than the belt itself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
IMHO
First offer on a 2nd hand car
if a dealer 20% off sticker,
private 15-20%,

Can you do it for ????
You will get laughed at but hey I will live for a few hundred.
I got 16% off sticker.

FYI in Aus Selespeeds are cheaper than manuals, once they are over 60,000ks or 40,000 miles.
I think that is where problems can begin, I know nothing about selespeeds just heard can be expensive to fix and the price difference seems to confirm that.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
jonny5 said:
Hi Guys and gals,

Going to see my first 147 tomorrow and wanted to know your thoughts before I make an offer...

Silver 2002, manual 2.0 Lusso TS 3dr, leather and all the extras, 21,000 miles, fsh, 1 owner £6250.

The cambelt hasn't been changed and from reading this forum it I have since learnt that it definataly needs doing. Seller informed me that he had spoken to his local dealer who said that they would do it for £178 due to it being a Alfa problem? Is this true, not come across this before, or should I insist that it is done before offering, ie; offer £6k.

There are Selespeed alternatives that I have found (same price/mileage & spec) but cannot decide :confused:

Thanks in advance, looking forward to becomming a usual suspect on this forum and becomming a alfa owner:D
Jonny..welcome.
Note that the 2.0 Twinspark has three belts, namely cam timinig belt, auxilary belt and balance shaft belt, all these need to be done together along with their associated tensioners etc. I doubt many garages could do this for £178! it sounds like they don't know what they are on about.
..use this info as a bargaining tool.

Also check the oil level on the dipstick, if it is low then walk away as the previous owner hasn't been checking and topping up every week.

Caveat Emptor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice Norbet,

I suspected as much, I will speak to the garage myself before I go and then factor that into any offer that I make.

Skippy: It's a private sale so should be able to carry off my charm when offering below asking price!

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Definately get your own quote for cam belt change. Prices vary immensely between main dealer and indie garages.

As for the Selespeed question, that has to come down to personal choice. Why not try both so you can make an informed judgement as to which is better suited to your needs? There is plenty of info in the forums regarding reliability of both versions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just been to see it, all seemed well until i looked at the service history. The owner bought it from new from an internet company. The service book says it had its pre-inspection in Ireland, followed by two services in Holland and the last service in UK. I'm abit annoyed as i asked if it was an import before going to look at it as it was a good hour drive away.

i am going to try a selespeed now, reason being that the gearbox seemed really notchy on the manual (only done 20,000 miles)!

I'll let you know how I get on - all being well i will be driving an alfa by the weekend!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Don't rush. Bide your time and make sure you get the right car. There's plenty of them out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your right, just that the money's burning a hole in my pocket and I want one, i want one now dammit! Grrrrr

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Patience my friend. Patience. It will all be worth it in the end.

Much more inportant to make sure you don't buy a pup.

A

·
0 Posts
jonny5 said:
Seller informed me that he had spoken to his local dealer who said that they would do it for £178 due to it being a Alfa problem? Is this true, not come across this before, or should I insist that it is done before offering, ie; offer £6k.

Yes it is a problem which Alfa have acknowledged. Therefore dealers and indepedants are charging the work done at a cut price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are dealers still charing it at cut down prices regardless of service intervals, or is it classed as a one off (seperate to service)?

A

·
0 Posts
I beleive its just a one off as its to stop people getting caught out through Alfa's **** up of making the cambelt change so high. I'd be amazed to see if it was still cheap for the cars second cambelt change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
put a deposit down on a black 52 plate 2.0 Lusso Selespeed (24k miles) with winter pack...

...£5750, I am so happy - picking up on Monday!!!!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Nice one mate. Has it had the belts changed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Roswell, and thanks for all your advice recently! No it hasn't had the belts down yet, it was last serviced May 2006 - but only done 2000 miles since. Was on for £6500 so bartered down on basis that belts hadn't been done.

Anyone know of any good places to go and have belts/service done in or near Milton keynes?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts