Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OH winter, dont we just love it!!!

Started the car today with no thoght of the frozen wiper blades, stuck to the screen. remembered that in the rain last night i did not turn the wipers off so knocked them off soon after realizen. w

when the world had thawed, the wipers did not want to work so i assume that they were trying to shift and were stuck, hence drawing too much currant and kiling the armature.

The relay still works (can hear clicking) going to check it al out tonight but suspect the worst.

just hoping somebody can give me pointers to look towards if the motor needs replacing, cost and whether something nice and cheap like a corsa one will fit..

heres hoping

Pete

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I don't know about the 155 wipers, and somebody might have more experience of your particular problem, but in general for any car ....No the motor's armature should still be ok.

Wiper motors should be protected from being stalled on the windscreen by either a fuse or a circuit breaker in the motor. So if after the blades were thawed out it's worth checking or replacing the fuse that could have blown. Any circuit breaker in the motor would reconnect in less than a minute, and you wouln't need to do anything other than free the blades.

I hope all is ok.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I thought.... checked fuses and all ok, now 12 hours after the event, was going to strip the facia off to get to the mechanism and stick a voltmeter on but its those silly screws, (hard to work in dark and cold as well) so it will have to wait and hope that the weather holds off.

or are there any other ideas???

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, ive seen the fix before... i just wish i could get them to judder!!!

Further ivestigation leads me to get annoyed with the car!!!!!

Currently i have power going to the white box that controls the itermittant relay (2 live (12v) 1 signal (0.8v)) This then operates the relay as i would expect it to..... i.e. at full speed the relay is permanently on allowing power through, off and the relay is closed and in intermittent the relay ticks.

the problem is that there is no out put feed... ie the motor is not getting power (the motor works and has been tested with a straight 12v feed)

This leads me to think that it is something on the relay board though all seems ok when tested... the power seems to be going everywhere except the out put. I have re soldered the joints but to no avail so that rules out dry joints.

If it seems top be the relay, is that available without the whole box (around £40) or am i barking up the wrong track completely?

Pete

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a few peeps breaking 155's (Wrinx is one). Maybe you could get the relay from them for a lot less ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts