Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

First of all, this is my first post here. :) I found this forum through google, and I hope someone might be able to assist me to solve my little crisis. :p

I own an Alfa GTV 916 2.0TS from 1995. My boot lock is broken (can't put key in it fully, can twist key/lock but wont open). I've been opening the boot via the well known button in the glovebox. But now my battery is dead, and I cant access it. :(

Are there any places under the hood where I can connect power to a + point so I can open the boot? I've been looking all over the place without any luck. Or anoy other ways I can open the boot?

Thanks for reading, really hope someone here might know a solution to my problem that does not involve a crowbar. :thumbs:

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you call out an auto locksmith they should be able to get into the car. Won't be cheap though (it'll probably cost more than it would have done to fix the broken lock in the first place)!

I suspect that (even though it's Italian) the car is designed so that there is no easy way to connect 2 wires together to unlock the boot, as that would mean really bad security...

Otherwise maybe you could try one of those car battery chargers that works from the cigarette lighter socket. I think there are even some that can jump start the car that way :eek:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Sam and welcome to the forum.
Try the cigarette lighter charger that Mital suggests.
I am not sure how broken your key lock on the boot is, but you could try to open the boot with key while pushing down on the boot in line with the lock/badge. This can reduce the pressure on the lock and allow the key to open the boot. Worth a try?
By the way, we have the same family name - Granger. Is this a common name in the Netherlands?
Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Sam and welcome to the forum.
Try the cigarette lighter charger that Mital suggests.
I am not sure how broken your key lock on the boot is, but you could try to open the boot with key while pushing down on the boot in line with the lock/badge. This can reduce the pressure on the lock and allow the key to open the boot. Worth a try?
By the way, we have the same family name - Granger. Is this a common name in the Netherlands?
Chris

One thing I forgot to mention, the battery is not in the car - I managed taking it out, closed the boot and forgot completely that the lock was broken. Yes, a very blond moment :eek:. Would the charging through the cigarette lighter work still to atleast open the boot via the button in glovebox? :confused: Or any places under the hood I could use to jump start the car?

Regarding my name, I'm 100% english. Born in Chorley, Lancashire. My parents moved to the Netherlands when I was 3 and I've been here ever since :).

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Ah. So you need to open the boot, for definite.
No battery = broken circuit so applying power under the bonnet etc won't work.

Try the suggestion of pressing down on the bootlid while turning the key, if it's not totally broken to help the release mechanism. Other than that, it's call a man out time, I think. :(

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
I reckon that putting a 12 volt supply into the car through the cig lighter from a charger or a 12 volt psu should work, wouldn't require much current to operate the solenoid but I'd feel happy if I had at least 5 amps capacity. Fortunately on P1 cars the cig lighter isn't ignition switched so I reckon it SHOULD work.

I just hope that if you try this that the disconnected positive battery lead isn't touching the chassis, take care if you think this may be the case.

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
I reckon that putting a 12 volt supply into the car through the cig lighter from a charger or a 12 volt psu should work, wouldn't require much current to operate the solenoid but I'd feel happy if I had at least 5 amps capacity. Fortunately on P1 cars the cig lighter isn't ignition switched so I reckon it SHOULD work.

I just hope that if you try this that the disconnected positive battery lead isn't touching the chassis, take care if you think this may be the case.
Not sure that will work - but if it does Nige makes a very good point about the battery lead! :eek::thumbs:

·
16,322 Posts
Ah. So you need to open the boot, for definite.
No battery = broken circuit so applying power under the bonnet etc won't work.

:(
This may or may not be the case, have to look at the diagram to be sure. Got to be worth a try though.

In the past I have had problems with boot locks and I reckon that using a large flat bladed screwdriver hammered into the lock could well work. Of course you could spend a little while drilling loads of holes to destroy and so remove the lock.

Try the easy option first, not much to lose at this point.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the past I have had problems with boot locks and I reckon that using a large flat bladed screwdriver hammered into the lock could well work.
Funny, I found a flathead screwdriver under the car seat this morning. :lol:

Now I know why it was there, thanks, it worked a charm!!

Just need to get a new lock for the boot now :)

·
Registered
44 Posts

Well done! And no worries about getting a new boot lock because you needed one anyway :D

·
16,322 Posts

:lol: That's what Alfa call a spare key !

Glad you got in OK, now you have the fun of fitting a new lock. Wonder if they come complete with the swivelling badge already attached ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:lol: That's what Alfa call a spare key !

Glad you got in OK, now you have the fun of fitting a new lock. Wonder if they come complete with the swivelling badge already attached ?
I know of a GTV nearby that is going to be stripped. Shame, because the car has no problems whatsover, good condition but it was involved with some illegal crap and has to suffer because of that. I'll check if the guy still has a lock :)

·
16,322 Posts
I know of a GTV nearby that is going to be stripped. Shame, because the car has no problems whatsover, good condition but it was involved with some illegal crap and has to suffer because of that. I'll check if the guy still has a lock :)
:( Seems very sad that a good car should have to be scrapped because of some bureaucratic crud but sadly I'm not surprised.

Might be worth seeing what bits you could get from it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:( Seems very sad that a good car should have to be scrapped because of some bureaucratic crud but sadly I'm not surprised.

Might be worth seeing what bits you could get from it.
Sad thing is, that he has 2 jaguar mkii's (1 rh side) that have to go down the same path... :mad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts