Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like only a few weeks ago since I was towing my 159 home behind my trusty 23 year old Mk1 MR2, and lashing out hundreds of pounds on parts and messing around in the freezing cold to fix yet another fault on the car and get it working again.

Hang on, that's beause it was only a few weeks ago....

And yet once more I have a paperweight on my drive.

What is the normal mean time between complete and utter failure on a regulalrly serviced low mileage 159, is it normal to meaure it in days? :cry:

Why me? Oh yeah, cos I bought an Alfa.

The shine is really wearing thin now.

Karl_T

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Yeah, what's up with it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after it stopped chucking it down and I was able to get and have a look I did a bit of an invetigation, read the fault codes etc and there were a few but mainly nothing that you couldn't put down to a failure to start rather than the cause. Anyway I had to recharge the batt to have another go anyway and 2nd time finally got it going, so fingers crossed it may be just the battery. Odd behaviour though for a slightly flat battery, the engine would crank over for a few turns then everything goes off on the dash and the engine stops cranking. Nowt. It was almost like it was being disconnected mid start. Plus one of the fault codes related to a security issue. So not entirely sure, but it is now moving once more.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Alfa's are known to act oddly when a battery is dying, mebee drop into a place that will give the battery a health check?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just swapped the battery, seems happier on start up now all round, engine spins way quicker.

A little suprised to see Alfa don't fit maintenance free batteries, the car's previous owner never checked it and I hadn't noticed it wasn't in the four months I've had it. Strapping a fuse box across the top doesn't exactly encourage maintenance now does it. 3 cells pretty low on fill, the plates weren't exposed but the cross connectors were, and all looks a tads furry. Voltage is low too, seemed easy enough just to swap.

We'll see how it goes.

Anybody know what a normal current flow should be for a car when just sat? I'm reading 0.44A after an initial spike of about 1.5A? Seems high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
159 battery current

Been having similar problems with battery for a while. Bit the bullet and bought a replacement battery however prior to fitting I phoned Alfa dealer to check if battery is covered under warranty. Up to two years only. Car is now approaching end of 3 years. Typical! Checked battery drain with everthing switched off, car idle, current was 1.26A.
spoke with girl on service desk and she thinks it is excessive. Car booked in tomorrow for investigation.
Had already bought recommended Yuasa Pro battery (75Ah 650CCA)...£95, Alfa wanted £120. Will let you know if battery was the problem or not.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i had a few issues not with Alfa but a corsa. anything from flat battery to a loose connection on the battery can cause the ECU to fault. ensure the + and - leads are fastened securely. if battery is all dry inside then alternator might be faulty. from my time with old cars there's there is normally a regulator on the alternator if that's disconnected or faulty then that can cause battery to dry out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Battery checked by Alfa delaer. Battery faulty. Alfa dealer did not charge for fitting new battery. Nice one! Drain in battery 1.26A was due to the bonnet switch being operated. I assume part of the alarm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MR2's, bullet proof indeed. Totally powerless against rain, but bullet proof. :0)

the big Alfa is semi sorted, 1st is stiff, the folding wingmirrors have packed up and the suspension still creaks but apart from that.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts