Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My car didn't want to turn over this morning. Sounded like a dead battery as it turned slowwww and then with the next try, it juct clicked. Had a multimeter on, and the reding was around 11v. Tried to jump it, but still dead.

Am I doing something wrong? I have to get it going to get it to a battery shop. I fitted a new battery in June and it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Hi,
My car didn't want to turn over this morning. Sounded like a dead battery as it turned slowwww and then with the next try, it juct clicked. Had a multimeter on, and the reding was around 11v. Tried to jump it, but still dead.
Am I doing something wrong? I have to get it going to get it to a battery shop. I fitted a new battery in June and it's still under warranty.
It is your daily drive, right?
At 11V - that battery is VERY drained. What caused it could be the alternator not charging or some wiring that caused a drain, or a dodgy battery. Lead-acid batteries does not like getting drained so it could have gotten hurt anyway.

OK you say you tried to jump it, but it did not quite work? Did you connect the batteries and bring the donor car above idling for a minute or two to charge up the "dead" battery before even attempting to turn over the "dead" car? The computer and other auxiliaries are sensitive to too low voltage so you'll need patience when jump starting the car.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Do not connect both the jumper cables on your battery. Put the negative jumper on the earth on your starter or engine earth. That way you can not get spikes through the CPU and fry it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a charger for my car battery (similar to the C-Tek chargers). So it got charged yesterday morning from 6h30am to 12pm and then it started no problem. Took it in to have the battery and alternator checked out - all is fine. With 200A load on it, the reading is above 10v which is indicating a good battery. Not sure what happened there though.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I've got a charger for my car battery (similar to the C-Tek chargers). So it got charged yesterday morning from 6h30am to 12pm and then it started no problem. Took it in to have the battery and alternator checked out - all is fine. With 200A load on it, the reading is above 10v which is indicating a good battery. Not sure what happened there though.
Great to hear it is sorted now - Have a look with your multi-meter to see if the voltage drops over time - then it isn't charging properly - usually the regulator / rectifier thats kaput:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-africa/308638-gta-battery-dead.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts