Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after week of signing up to this forum, my 155 die on me. The engine has seized. Not sure what the damage is but mean a new engine. Has anyone tried shoving the new JTS engine in an 155 yet? While I am at it, what about the Selespeed system? If only I can put the running gear of an 156 into 155. It would be like the old days when people were doing that with 75's and GTVs.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I like the idea. I personally think modifying - even classic - cars is not a crime but a matter of personal preferences and taste. I thought about fitting a 156 engine, too, but just theoretically, because it is even a matter of money!
The ultimate engine would be a 3.2 ltr GTA.
When you´re on it: Try mounting it rear!!!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transplanting the JTS would be a lot of work. Transplanting a Selespeed system would be even worse because of all the electronics and sensors involved and why would you want to do it anyway? I've driven a couple of 156 Sillyspeeds and they're horrible.

If you want a JTS with Selespeed then buy a 156 and save an awful lot of bother. If you want a faster 155 either turbo/supercharge a twin spark or get a V6 - much cheaper, easier to insure, etc.

Ian

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Admitted the JTS idea was just a random thought. I could probably get the extra 15bhp with chipping, new cams, exhaust, air filters, etc. However, I like the idea of Selespeed as I do quite a bit of bumper to bumper driving, and having driven the 156 and 147 Selespeed, it's not that bad. It still has a long way to go compare to a manual but it's better than a torque-converter.

As to why I don't just get a 156, I thought the answer was obvious, I prefer the look of the 155.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jimmy, Sorry to hear about your car. I often wondered myself if the JTS would fit in the 155, nice thought. Have you checked the meetings posts?
There should be one this month for Irish members. Are you near Dublin?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a 156 engine (not jts)perfect except for the small matter of one bent conrod due to water ingestion,otherwise ok.give me a shout if you need anything.
alan.
:) - - - - - - - - -- -
we have the technology we can rebuild it.....

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need a new cylinder head for a 155 2.0 twinny 16v with all valves intact.

Regards

LESPIX

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JOC, thanks for the invite but I am upto my neck this month and the 155 dying on me does help things either. Perhaps next time - I'll keep an eye on the meeting forum.

fasud55, thanks for the offer. I still haven't had the chance to open her up to see what's actually broken. By the way, how much work is need to drop the 156 engine (either the 150bhp or 155bhp version) into an 155?

lespix, if the engine is not savagable and the heads and valves are ok, I'll give you a shout.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Selespeed conversion is a lot easier than you think.. The gearbox is a manual with a few sensors mounted onto it to monitor the rail-gun for engagement disengagement position and its angle of rotation thus determining which gear you're in. It also relies on a hydraulic concentric slave cylinder to actuate the clutch and a sensor to monitor its position. You will also need the associated pump to pressurise the hydraulic unit that engages and disengages the gears. Last but not least a temperature sensor for clutch calibration purposes. What is going to be tricky is trying to integrate the TCU (transmission control unit) with the 155's ECU which is not going to be compatible. I think that you may need a 156 ECU (engine is similar but not that similar since it has a returnless fuel system and therefore a variable fuel pump delivery rate). Best bet is to transplant a complete 156 engine and Selespeed transmission with respective control units. The rest is child's play albeit expensive at that.

T.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have to agree i had a good look at a sillyspeed today and it seems its a 'normal' box with all the shifter stuff just bolted on top...mind you a sillyspeed 'purges' the system when you open the drivers door so i guess it will need a lot of extra wiring work to make it work.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the engine turning after something got loose! My father-in-law thinks the oil pump might have disintegrated. Any ideas?

What kind of tool do you need to remove the big bolts to remove the head?. The ones that look like allen screws but six notches.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They sound like "TORX" bits, any decent motor factors should have them.

wrinx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are not TORX bolts. I cant remember off the top of my head what they are called (JB?) but if you explain to the motor factor what you want it for he should be able to sort you out.

BTW its a 13mm bit.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
your right there not TORX they have flat ends unlike the TORX bits....but you can get away with using them...you can even get an ALLEN key to fit quite well. eek!

BTW i dont know what they are called........yet. :D

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its called a RIBE, have some in work,no prob if you want a lend.apperently theyre only used on fiat, alfa, lancia.
alan. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
we have the technology we can rebuild it......

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried using an 10mm allen key. Eventhough, it fitted, turning the key just wear the bolt so don't try it.

fasud55, thanks for the offer but I quite like to get one (as you are unlikely to get it back after I borrow it!). I don't suppose they are easy to get. Know anywhere where I can order it?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got one from my local motor. He didn't have it on the shelf but was able to get it for me same day. It was £7.00

I think they may be quite common for that type of application, so you should have no trouble getting one.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got one (actually a set - cost a bloody fortune) at a nearby MotorStore - extremely surprised that they had any. In fact, they had 2 and @20% discount - still a bloody fortune.

Will try and take the head off and check out the damage this weekend.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the head off (enough to check the damage - there is so much stuff bolted onto it!).

One snapped con-rod, one bend valve and a hole in the cylinder head. Chances are the bore is damaged too. So what are my options? Did thought about re-bore but there probably isn't enough space. How about a liner? Or should I just get another engine. There are a few high miler (90 to 120) 155 for sale at the moment (for a couple of thousand euro). Should I get one and get the engine rebuild. It would probably end up costing as much as a replacement engine but at least I would have a parts car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts