Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i have finally de catted my 1.8 8v yesyerday with a supersprint cat pipe after a 4 week wait for the part. first signs accelleration: yes a improvement.

noise: not much change

fitting: difficult glad alwyn kershaw at york did it it took him nearly 1 hour

benefit: seems to breathe more easly but not to sure about any long term things;Econ etc but i will try & monitor them.

cheers :D :D :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Phillip
Glad you,ve got it done.
I noticed a big improvement on my 2.0 8v,much more torque.
Fuel consumption is up a bit but thats probably due to me putting the boot down more.
Get a squadra chip it made about twice the difference on my 155.

Regards
Shug

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the legailities of decatting? I've heard conflicting advice.. Can you jsut decat the Q4 & then just need to pass a standard emissions test? or is it a bolt the cats back for the MOT job?

Alex

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alex

All post '92 cars (Jimybob will tell you the exact month) must have a cat fitted to pass the emissions test, so its a bolt back on job come the dreaded day.

You may also pray that you are not stopped for an on the spot roadside emissions test!!

What I don't know is if its actually illegal to drive without one fitted if its standard.

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure it's August 92. That means Shugs OK without a Cat. His car is slightly ealier the lucky thing.

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*for vehicles first used before 1 august 1975 a visual test will be applied

*for vehicles first used on or after 1 august 1975 a metered test will be applied.(3.5%)

*for vehicles first used on or after 1 august 1992 a full cat test will be applied.

some cars used between 1992 and 1995 do not need a cat test but sadly this does not include alfa.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Jimmybob, for "some cars used between 1992 and 1995 do not need a cat test but sadly this does not include alfa." does that include the Q4? I was under the impression that it was not on the MOT machine so although you could take the CATS off you still had to pass a STD emissions test. Though I have been known to be wrong wink

alex

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry when i first posted about this some time ago i did say that Q4 wasnt in the list..........and it isnt so yes you can take off the cat if you have a Q4....

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So why is the Q4 not on the machines??? Can we remove the other 155 models too wink

Jimybob-is it illegal to run around without a cat if it should be fitted as standard?

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Jimmybob.

Woohoo.. I can get rid of both cats! yipeee.

Alex

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok then if you have a Q4 then take it off..ANY OTHER 155 MUST have the cat fitted to pass the MOT how ever the rules are changing all the time so dont bin your cat NO MATER WHAT you might need it later.also the test is changing at the end of this year to include a BET (basic emissions test)its a bit too long winded to tell you all about it now but hang on to your cats..wether its legal or not im not sure but if you get caught on a spot check just act dumb you might get away with it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi good point gents: i thaught for a while about fitting the pipe. i know i will need to fit the cat back at the next MOT, not to sure about the legal requirements.I have never seen any roadside tests & after seeing many CORSA, CAVILIER,& VARIOUS JAPANESSE it think i am very much less of a risk of being stopped, but it has crossed my mind.
cheers :cool: :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts