Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a one month old Giulia 2.2JDTM Speciale (UK Spec) that has developed a flicker in the left-hand DRL (parking light). It came on suddenly when I manually activated the headlights so I could switch on the rear fogs on the motorway (auto sensor hadn't picked up the fog) and it's constantly flickering whenever the DRLs are on (so pretty much all the time!). Has anyone experienced anything similar, and what is the repair process?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Have a one month old Giulia 2.2JDTM Speciale (UK Spec) that has developed a flicker in the left-hand DRL (parking light). It came on suddenly when I manually activated the headlights so I could switch on the rear fogs on the motorway (auto sensor hadn't picked up the fog) and it's constantly flickering whenever the DRLs are on (so pretty much all the time!). Has anyone experienced anything similar, and what is the repair process?
nope, but it probably didn't pick up fog as it was unnecessary for fog lights at that time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, but it probably didn't pick up fog as it was unnecessary for fog lights at that time.
Think I'll trust my own judgement as to when fog lights are necessary, not that of someone on the Internet, thank you. Automatic lights are always terrible in the fog, my old GT86 had exactly the same problem.

·
Registered
896 Posts
That is because headlight sensor is not ment nor able to detect fog - during the day is still bright enough regardeless of the fog. So, when there is fog you should always manually turn on headlights (which includes rear lights as well). A lot of drivers are not aware of that.

However, rear fog lights should be turned on only when you are the last car in a row, to avoid annoying the driver behind you.

@jonnygreen: The only solution to your problem is replacement under warranty.

P.S. In the infotainment you can set the sensitivity of the headlight sensor from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is because headlight sensor is not ment nor able to detect fog - during the day is still bright enough regardeless of the fog. So, when there is fog you should always manually turn on headlights (which includes rear lights as well). A lot of drivers are not aware of that.

However, rear fog lights should be turned on only when you are the last car in a row, to avoid annoying the driver behind you.

P.S. In the infotainment you can set the sensitivity of the headlight sensor from.
Really? Only the last car in a row should have their fog lights on? Where did you learn that?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Really? Only the last car in a row should have their fog lights on? Where did you learn that?
If you can see the car behind, then they can see you, and therefore you don't need to blind them with your fog lights, do you? Unless, you know, you want to obscure your own brake lights when you need to stop suddenly.

The law says you must not use them when visibility is better than 100m, and it only says that because it has to cover 70mph roads where the stopping distance is about that.

I can only remember actually needing fog lights once, near Sidmouth in Devon, where you had to drive at about 20mph because you couldn't see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can see the car behind, then they can see you, and therefore you don't need to blind them with your fog lights, do you? Unless, you know, you want to obscure your own brake lights when you need to stop suddenly.

The law says you must not use them when visibility is better than 100m, and it only says that because it has to cover 70mph roads where the stopping distance is about that.

I can only remember actually needing fog lights once, near Sidmouth in Devon, where you had to drive at about 20mph because you couldn't see.
Apart from where your fog lights and brake lights are independent of each other, like on most modern cars...

Also, the law is surprisingly vague about the rules on using fog lights (I know, because I've just read it). There's nothing about not using them so as to avoid annoying other road users - that's total ********* that you've made up yourself.

I would NEVER assume that another car can see me in fog without my fog lights on - to do so is dangerous. I'll stick to how I do things, thanks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Bet you wish you'd never mentioned the fog lights johnny.

I would take it back to the dealer and let them check it out. I haven't seen anybody else on here mention this issue, so you may be the first. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Also, the law is surprisingly vague about the rules on using fog lights (I know, because I've just read it) There's nothing about not using them so as to avoid annoying other road users - that's total ********* that you've made up yourself.
Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

3 Rear fog lamp [Manner of use prohibited]
(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.
(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.
(c)Save in the case of an emergency vehicle, used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.
What exactly is 'seriously reduced visibility' doesn't appear to be specified in law AFAICS but is widely interpreted as 100m, which is what appears in the Highway Code :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ha ha the OP walked into the traditional fog-light flame war :shoot:

Anyway my thoughts would be:-

- DRL flickering means it's defective so get a replacement under warranty.

- Lights auto-sense does not work well in daylight fog, you should turn on your dipped headlights manually.

- Rear fog-lights, if you can see the regular tail lights of the car in front and you are not at the very back of the line of traffic you don't need them on.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

a lot of drivers are not aware of when they should and shouldn't use fog lights full stop in the uk. so many planks drive around with them on when its not necessary. fog or mist doesn't automatically mean fog lights. if visibility really is terrible then yes. some swirling vapors no. sadly the British public are dense.

·
Registered
643 Posts
For the record, having just driven from York to Manchester, encountered about 15 vehicles with rear fog lights on (out of several thousand?), and guess what? Nearly all of them BMWs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had it into the dealer, tried replacing the bulb itself to no avail. Needs a new control unit, apparently. Part's on order, just annoying that I have to drive around with a strobe light on the front of the car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts