Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got a preference of these two brands? Long story short, when I bought the car last year, the auxiliary drive belt developed a chirp. The belt was brand new, but I noticed that the crank pulley had started to perish. As the car had done almost 100,000miles, I decided to change the crankshaft pulley, tensioner and idler pulley, but re-used the new, original belt. The belt remained quiet for a few days, and then started chirping again. I fitted a new Dayco belt, and after this all was quiet, until a few days later when the chirping returned!

None of the pulleys are misaligned, everything rotates fine and there was no visible deflection of the belt. I took the Dayco belt off, fitted a Gates one and all has been well since!

The compounds of the belts look slightly different, if you was to compare a Dayco and Gates belt, the Gates one has a "dimpled" effect on the top of the belt, where as the Dayco is more of a smooth texture.

No reports of problems on these forums, which is why I have asked, but in other forums people have seemed to have the same issues as myself!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gates every time as it was fitted from the factory..
I thought that Dayco were the OEM brand for Fiat and Alfa Romeo, but I stand corrected. Either way, I still thought as Dayco to be the more well known and preferred brand.

Just seems odd that two Dayco belts developed the same problem, yet the Gates has remained quiet. Think I'll be sticking with them in the future as well!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I was informed that the Alfa Romeo genuine belts are gates timing belts with Skf idlers and tensioners. Saying that been fitting gates belts to cars for over 30 years with zero Issues but use dayco parts also

but when i checked last i got a full gates set with skf bearings 130.00 quid though cheapest now is 157.00 though i did use a Dayco full kit for the aux drive belt kit which at 73.00 was great value

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Dayco was OE for Alfa. Not sure if that has changed.
Look at the sponsorship livery on old 155 and 156 touring cars.

I prefer Gates. The timing belts come with an anti oil coating. The auxilliary belts come with a dimpled pattern to reduce noise.

The chirruping sound is caused by failure to use a stiff wire brush to clean old rubber particles out of the multi vee valleys on the other pulleys (power steering, A/C compressor and crank- if not changed).

Dayco is fine though. I've never suffered belt breakage using either brand.
All the tensioners are made in Canada but SKF bearings are possibly the very best.
Volvo brand was created by the 2 guys who made SKF bearings and the ethic was traditionally maximum reliability.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dayco was OE for Alfa. Not sure if that has changed.
Look at the sponsorship livery on old 155 and 156 touring cars.

I prefer Gates. The timing belts come with an anti oil coating. The auxilliary belts come with a dimpled pattern to reduce noise.

The chirruping sound is caused by failure to use a stiff wire brush to clean old rubber particles out of the multi vee valleys on the other pulleys (power steering, A/C compressor and crank- if not changed).

Dayco is fine though. I've never suffered belt breakage using either brand.
All the tensioners are made in Canada but SKF bearings are possibly the very best.
Volvo brand was created by the 2 guys who made SKF bearings and the ethic was traditionally maximum reliability.
Never knew that about the belts, great info! So Gates belt, with SKF tensioners and waterpump is the way to go aye? :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts