Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever used a Dayco Cambelt Kit before on their Alfa? If so, any good? Would anyone recommend this kit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi man, I have fitted quite a few of them on the twinnies and V6's without issues, imho they look like the better pick compared to OEM ones. OEM belts come across as plasticky to me.

So don't think you can go wrong with them. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Speenvark,

Thanks very much for that info. Also don`t like the OEM one`s either. Will now have more peace of mind when my Dayco kit arrives!
:cool:

·
Registered
37,892 Posts
I am pretty sure that the OEM ones are Dayco...

Contitech are good also.

For the TS, no matter which kit you get, the tensioners will be indentical as they are all made in the same factory in Canada. It is only the belt that is different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I ended up buying the Dayco Cambelt kit from Eurocarcare.net in the UK for 74 GBP. If all the tensioners are made in the same factory then the belt is really a matter of preference then. Although I do know that Gates also has a good rep! But nice to know that someone has used Dayco here without issues.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I think making sure that the belts are changed in time would be the biggest factor. Rather than brand of £10 belt.

I've used contitech on other engines and oem one on the ts. To be honest without knowing test results from the belts in qc you'd never know which is better. Then there will be batches that are better than others.

I personally plan on doing a cambelt change every 24k to make sure it's ok.
Maybe over the top but it's not a difficult job and you can be happy it's all working.
The same as I change oil and filters at 6k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I agree, changing the belts would be the biggest factor. However in my case the idler bearing in the OEM kit after being fitted, ended up spraying all the grease out after only 200 miles. So after getting a faulty bearing, decided to trash everything. Belt had FTP on it (not sure who the manufacturer is), obviously Fiat insignia; Cambelt tensioner says Koyo Japan and faulty idler was Ina. Call me superstitious, but I`d rather replace the whole kit. I might also add that the cambelt did not inspire much confidence either. Looked shoddy (this is only my opinion) and had a small nick or cut on the top of the belt.

The balancer belt kit (OEM) I can`t find fault with and the belt in particular looks well made and of good quality.

As far as replacing every 24k, you share my sentiments as well. I have all the tools, easy enough to change (learnt to take my time) and far cheaper than a cambelt failure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts