Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise how to adjust the date and the time on the ICS (1999/2000 vintage)? The owner's ICS manual is completely useless in this regard and I can't see any way to change either display. As per the attached pic, the date reads '7.9.97' and while the time is right (more or less) for the minutes it's out by an hour because EET is actually 3 hrs ahead of GMT. Specifically, I can't activate that 'Set time' display at the bottom of the screen, ie, I can't get the dial to roll onto it.

Any suggestions gratefully received. It's not a huge deal but it kind of bugs me I can't set the right time or date!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I found this issue with the sportronic I had for a short period. It had sat nav and telephone...of which neither really worked...
My Super has no nav. or phone and I haven't had any problems setting the time...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this issue with the sportronic I had for a short period. It had sat nav and telephone...of which neither really worked...
My Super has no nav. or phone and I haven't had any problems setting the time...
Well, I've got satnav (useless here in Bulgaria) but no phone, so kind of in the middle. Did I understand you to say that you are able to dial onto that 'Set time' display and adjust the settings from there? Or how do u do it?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Who knows? I've got both satnav (useless, only ever shows a pink arrow in a sea of orange!?) and telephone and can't adjust the time either which is highly annoying. Interested in seing a solution.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As i know, the only way to adjust the time manually, is to disconnect the satnav unit (above the battery) first.
Hi, and thanks for that. Where do you disconnect the satnav? On the unit itself or at the ICS? (If the latter, I won't bother, given the hassle in taking the ICS unit out.)

It seems bizarre that there's not some simple, built-in way to adjust the time and date. Ok, the ICS is 20 yrs old tech but digital clocks (with dates also) were mainstream products by, what, the mid-1970s? Why the drama with the ICS unit?

Odd thing I've noticed is that, although I've had the car battery disconnected several times lately and had to put the ICS code in each time, the time keeps going on the ICS - just 3 hours out!

·
Registered
260 Posts
When i have disconnected the battery for any reason and then reconnected,all i do is put the tick in the" RDS time" box(as in your display photo),and time/date automatically sets itself.:happy:

The "set time" icon at the bottom of the screen is just indicating that this is the screen where you make time/date adjustments,hence there is no reason for being able to roll on to it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
....... Where do you disconnect the satnav? On the unit itself or at the ICS? (If the latter, I won't bother, given the hassle in taking the ICS unit out.).....
From the satnav unit side is much easier. However, you'll have to detach the unit mechanically, in order to get access to the connector.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When i have disconnected the battery for any reason and then reconnected,all i do is put the tick in the" RDS time" box(as in your display photo),and time/date automatically sets itself.:happy:

The "set time" icon at the bottom of the screen is just indicating that this is the screen where you make time/date adjustments,hence there is no reason for being able to roll on to it.
A bit of info on RDS....

"An RDS equiped radio station broadcasts a time and date synch signal once a minute.Your RDS-equipped reciever(ICS in this case)picks it up and automatically resets itself even if you have not looked at the clock before.
RDS is also smart enough to figure out Daylight Savings Time and different time zones."

This was found on a Marantz customer helpline web page.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I had/am having a battle with my ICS and when it came to setting the time on it, I somehow got to a screen that allowed me to manually set the time but halfway through, I exited by accident and was unable to find my way back.
Out of desparation, I clicked on the RDS icon and the time crooected itself so that much at least is sorted simply and by selecting GMT from the OFFSET menu, it's correct for my location.
Still can't get the thing to not mute once the engine is running which by the way, doesn't happen if the alternator isn't connected or being driven (belt off) so there's a clue there for me somewhere

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for that. Tho', here's the weird thing - as my photo in OP shows, the 'RDS time' display is in blue, as opposed to green. What that means, at least in my case, is that I can't select it using the dial. Ditto with other blue displays on other screens. I suspect this is the reason why I'm stuck in 1997 (tho the days are ticking over on the display - am up to the 14th September now!) and in GMT minus 2 instead of 3.

So, any thoughts as to why that should be? From a quick visit to Mr Google, RDS was a universal tech when the 166s were born, so why can't I select it? Is it because my car is Italian??

The truth is out there.

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the satnav unit side is much easier. However, you'll have to detach the unit mechanically, in order to get access to the connector.

Благодаря за това :) Though, I'm a great believer - especially with Alfas - in not (a) detaching anything unless absolutely necessary and (b) not straying outside my area of competence. So I'll probably leave the satnav totally alone, in case I introduce some new problem...

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Highlight settings.
Press select IE Push Button in and you should do it from there.

I don't like the RDS settings as it doesn't always work.
My dughters Corsa RDS settings it changes all the time.

With fitted Sat Nav IIRC you wood not get this screen although you have the wooden surround.

IF you select time offset you should be able to select the desired offset
Pomeo

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Highlight settings.
Press select IE Push Button in and you should do it from there.
Thx Pomeo, but that very item (ie, 'Settings') is also coloured blue on my screen (see above pic) and I can't - highlight it, that is, by rolling the right-hand dial. Which strikes me as odd but there it is. It would seem I have some fault, since whoever heard of not being able to select 'Settings'? Any further ruminations?

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Sorry they all looked green on my wap tap and that only happens in mine if the lights are on. So the only thing selectable is RDS time on yours which is blue. AS GO BACK was green I thought the settings wood comply.

Strange tho.

Pomeo

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
In summary - there isn't a time setting because it automatically sets itself from the GPS.

The easiest way around this is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it at midnight.

-Alex

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In summary - there isn't a time setting because it automatically sets itself from the GPS.

The easiest way around this is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it at midnight.

-Alex
Thx for the comments but I don't believe it's that simple. First up, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I've observed that the time is maintained even when the battery is disconnected, and not just for a minute or two, suggesting the ICS clock has a separate power source. When I bought a new battery couple of weeks back, I exchanged the old one and the car was battery-free for several hours. Yet the time was correct when I connected the new battery - excepting the hour aspect, which doggedly stays 2 hrs ahead of GMT instead of 3. Presumably a GPS system would know when Bulgaria was on EEST (Eastern European summer time)?

Second up, there is a 'Settings' function in the ICS for the time (and perhaps also the date?) - as Pomeo has indicated. But I can't - for still unknown reasons - select it using the dial.

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Oh Well...Lacey has been aff the road for about 5 years . To bust the sportronic theory she is one and I managed to adjust the time nay bother at awe.

So Houston or Uncle Bulgaria It looks as if you have A PROBLEM.

Have you tried disconnecting the Sat Nav ?

Defo a weird one...But then when things do go wrong they don't follow any plan.

Pomeo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts