Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Could anyone recomend the best ECU lead and software for me to use on my 147 2.0TS.

Many thanks

Andy

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I bought a cable from RareBear which works without all the messing about the swapping terminals needed with ebay items. It also came in 5 days unlike the 5 weeks it takes for an ebay lead from China and I had the confidence as he is a regular AO member with lots of good feedback in different threads.

Lots use alfaDiag and pay £60 or so for a licence. I use fiatECUscan which does all I want from the free version. I can detect engine, abs and airbag faults and also clear the faults. VERY easy to use.

So for £30 or so, I don't have to visit a dealer to extinguish lights ... and it works for all Alfa, Lancia and Fiat models so will be good for a new alfa in future.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hit the "search" button my friend. The question has been asked a hundred (ish!) times before.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I'm considering this ATM too for a cf3 156.

Is the fiat software free that does all that - and does rarebears lead work with it and alfadiag should I swap over.

Can one lead do airbag and ecu now?

How much is a lead and what else do I need?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
AlfaDiag has been around for a number of years so people have used it for some time as it was the only thing available - FiatECUScan has only been out for 9 months (or so) so has not built up the same number of users.

Personally I have both and find that FiatECUScan connets to AirBags easier than AlfaDiag - I also have one of Rarebear's finest.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
So can I get a lead form rarebear that does airbags too and just use the free fiat software?

How much is said lead?

It says on the fiat software site about needing drivers for it, is this free software or something my computer needs? What kind of connection does my computer need?

Get this sorted then ratebear has a sale!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys that's excellent. Think I am going to go for the one from Rarebare to save all the messing about linking terminals out etc and the fault I have is with the ABS system so FiatECUscan sounds like it will do the job just fine for me.

:cool:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The lead in that link does Engine ECU, Airbag ECU and ABS ECU.

The link to FES is for the latest software but if you want the earlier version which was free and did all that A/D ever did then drop me an email and I'll send it over as it's no longer available from the official site.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
So can I get a lead form rarebear that does airbags too and just use the free fiat software?
Yes

The drivers convert the USB settings to serial but most machines will have these but I think rearbear will send you a driver disc as well (I think that he also includes a copy of the free version of AlfaDiag on disc as well)

As to cost you need to PM him as he can not advertise directly on the site - the ebay link that Smaky has given should work just as well and may be a little cheaper.

If you where near Biggleswade I would happily give you a demo with either software

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use a cable from rarebear, he sends it with the driver software. All you need is a spare USB on your laptop/PC. Works on both our 156 and Fiat seciento, only thing i found is that FES doesn't support 2.0jts, so i use unidag for that.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Cheers guys, I have sent a pm to said member to enquire.
Something I have never got round to, but my new 156 has airbag light and warning light without any symptoms so be worth having a nosey at them and see I I can sort it for a few quid.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
the ebay link that Smaky has given should work just as well and may be a little cheaper.
unquote

money back guarantee ???

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
There are a few models not supported by the free version on FES but are on the paid version. Also, some of the control modules require an ELM327 cable, so it's best to check on fiatecuscan.net for compatibility.

If you have one of the following;

• 2.5, 3.0 CF3 V6
  • 2.0 Selespeed
you need the paid version of the new FES.

To access some of the features on the 147/GT, you need an ELM327 lead and the paid version of FES.

At present the JTS and models made from the 159 onwards (excluding JTD) are not compatible for engine ECU diagnostics with FES, although other control units in those cars can be accessed and diagnosed with the appropriate cable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Guys,
I bought an ELM 327 cable from Ebay, and tried to use it with the ELM Scanmaster Demo that came with the cable. All I get is 'ELM Interface not Found'.
I can't get connected with Fiatecuscan either.
COM 1 port was not available, so I used port 6...
No big deal as she's going back to the dealer on Wednesday morning, but any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I was looking forward to using FES...

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My laptop either assigns port 7 or port 9.
Plug the serial cable into a USB slot.
Go to your Control Panel>Device Manager> and click the Ports dropdown to see which port its assigned to the cable.
Then in FES click F9 or settings and change to the appropriate port.

It works for me, but I use a RareBear lead so I don't doubt it's set up properly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts