Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Why is my dashboard storage shut completely and not able to be open ? What is the point of that ? Is there someway of opening it and using it ?
There are (I think) 3 difference types of dashboard storage, so it will depend on which option is fitted.
One version is a dummy version which can't be opened.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you didn't live so far away, we could swap.
Mine can be opened, but unless you have ape-like arms it is utterly useless. And from what I hear/read, the latch is prone to fail.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I have a 2010 car and the dashboard box had the broken latch. I got a new one from shop4parts, two screws piece of **** to replace just be gentle with it and it will last for years

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Why is my dashboard storage shut completely and not able to be open ? What is the point of that ? Is there someway of opening it and using it ?
You probably have the TomTom port optional on various FIATs and Alfa Romeos at the time... the 68R port, I think it's called. The port would be no use if it was on an opening lid - so it's a fixed panel.

-Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hope this pics might help. My lid did the same & when removed found that the plastic hinge where the spring attaches was split (in my case). I managed to find a flat piece of aluminium, shaped it & super glued to the plastic for strength. Now it works fine but will be gentle when opening/closing lid. Sadly not well made at. see pics
I find it amazing how low quality is the thing, that it snaps so easily. Never happened before in my other vehicles... whatever I tried to keep the spring in place wouldn’t work. Do you have an image with the aluminum pice in place?

·
Registered
39,608 Posts
Since my post back in 2015 saying how the compartment is working fine the lid has broken.

I like our Giulietta don't get me wrong but the interior material quality and fit and finish is rubbish. I have rattles everywhere, seats fraying on the base (replaced the seat with another and that has started to do it also. Odd gaps between parts the dash, especially at the ends. Covers which fall off. Will see if I can get some pictures up.

How come they took such a huge step backwards compared to the 147 and especially the 159?

At least mechanically it seems pretty solid.

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
1,061 Posts
I agree with you Symon - I came to the Giulietta from a 16 year old 156SW with 161k on it that had fewer rattles and buzzes. Granted the suspension would creak two years after replacement, but the interior did feel much better screwed together. Actually, I think that may be it - on the G most things seem to be clipped in rather than held with screws

I thought there should be a spring on the dash top box; mine is missing altogether. Oh well, something else to try to find...,

·
Registered
39,138 Posts
My first Giulietta looked as good as new when I traded it in at 64000 miles and 5.5 years old. I was quite impressed. The suspension started creaking over speed humps and the clutch didn’t like it when it was slow progress up hill in a traffic queue.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
My first Giulietta looked as good as new when I traded it in at 64000 miles and 5.5 years old. I was quite impressed. The suspension started creaking over speed humps and the clutch didn’t like it when it was slow progress up hill in a traffic queue.
I got a G after a fantastic 147 experience. The 147 converted me to diesel and with the 170bhp option I love the car. It flies on the motorway and on backroads at the right velocities it can cope with most terrains. I like the front end nose weight that others criticise and if you really push on I've learned that they are still boss of the traction control. The tyres squeal a bit with the understeer but still no lift off oversteer! And I am standard stock suspension!

·
Registered
39,138 Posts
It gets very hot in that storage compartment. I used to keep a pair of sunglasses in mine and after a year of two the plastic got brittle and broke. It shows how the plastics have to be right for a car dashboard!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2010 car and the dashboard box had the broken latch. I got a new one from shop4parts, two screws piece of **** to replace just be gentle with it and it will last for years
Thanks for the post Isotope - I had the "***" that latches into the fitting break after 6 years and followed your advice after trying and failing to superglue the "***" back on. Very good service from Shop4Parts and very easy to fit. Now to sort out my gear-lever knob and it's flakey and sharp paint!

·
Registered
39,608 Posts
Peel it all off and paint it silver.

The top of my knob is peeling as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 'spring' is provided by two rubber buttons in the recess, they squash down a bit. I used a couple of thin sponge rubber glued on the lid where the buttons push on it.
Hi all, I have a different issue with the dashboard lid.
The plastic clip is broken, I can see that I can by the complete lid with compartment.
Is it to install the compartment.
Many thanks guys

21 - 40 of 50 Posts