Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really in the market for a dashcam but I am spending a lot of time working in Malawi and drive around the countryside and often wish I could film as I go along. I can't keep stopping to take pictures I'd never get anywhere!

So I wondered if a dashcam would do the filming or if the field of view is too small, as its only really designed to look at the end of the bonnet. I could then use it back here in England to catch any numpty driving!

But then as I primarily what something for filming do I buy a Go Pro that is more designed for what I want, plus (I believe) I can extract frames from a film to make photos.

There's quite a price difference so just putting feelers out there with my learned Alfa driver friends to see if anyone can point me in the right direction. :thumbup:

Cheers
Julian

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this Tata. Are they your films?
What kind of length of film can you get from your dashcam?
Sorry about the string of questions!

J

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Nev can answer that cos' I can't.

32GB micro SD that records then loops all over again, and I love watching them as a movie slide show, in spite of some thinking that's a daft thing to do, because you see lots of stuff that you miss when stuck behind the wheel?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I'll be having a look at the dashcam option when I get back at Easter.

Cheers Guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Brilliant quality footage, can you tell me the name of the dash cam you used in that footage Nev? Cheers.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Eprance, available on Amazon:thumbup:

The footage is HD before YouTube mess with it, and it's very good quality.

Its on a loop so records over when full.

·
Registered
38,678 Posts
I have a Transcend DrivePro 200

I have been very impressed with it, even in low light conditions.

I get around 5 hours of footage on a 32Gb card at 1080p 30 frames per second, but part of the card is reserved for emergency footage.

It is great as a dashcam but as the lens is wide angle it makes things seem further away, whioch might not be ideal for filming wildlife.

It cost £78, plus memory card.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Transcend DrivePro 200

I have been very impressed with it, even in low light conditions.

I get around 5 hours of footage on a 32Gb card at 1080p 30 frames per second, but part of the card is reserved for emergency footage.

It is great as a dashcam but as the lens is wide angle it makes things seem further away, whioch might not be ideal for filming wildlife.

It cost £78, plus memory card.
Not too fussed about the wildlife with this camera, its just for the scenery as I drive about. Its hard to convey in words to others what it is like, especially when you turn a corner and there is the Shire River basin 800 metres below you and you feel you are about to drive off a cliff!

Cheers
One and All

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All my own work.

I'll check how much footage can go on the 32Gbyte card tomorrow.

;)
Thanks T4N.

Looks a nice part of France there. Always fancied buying a house by lake and disappearing in France. Live my life on croissants, brie and red wine! :thumbu p:

·
Registered
38,678 Posts
I fitted mine behind the mirror as well, so that I can hardly see it from the driver seat as well.

It is a PITA to see the screen though, but if anything important happens I will take the camera in and download the videos to the PC.

Most of the time I don't even remember it is there, as it requires no user interaction in normal use.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I'm liking the Mini 0806 right now, with the optional polarizing filter. Ideally I want one without a screen, as small as possible as I won't be reviewing stuff inside the car.

1080p with 45 fps aswell, which should help with identifying license plates

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
So my 0802(?) Ambarella based EPrance is set up to film 5-min segments at 450-500Mbytes.
It records over any files that have not been "locked" by the shock detector or manually.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts