Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought you might like my dash conversion, preface lift 156.
I have put in facelift info center and vents unit, 2morrow will incorporate and iPhone and post another pic.
All vents work as they should.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
So what does the "info centre" display? have you plumbed in the trip 'puter as well???

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, the info center is not wired, taking it out of the unit, and replacing it with iphone 3g, it will be wired to ignition to charge, loaded with vids, and have 3g. Rumors are that satnav will be out soon for it.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
That is a great idea ... I must admit I hate the info centre in my facelift 156 I think it looks so amateur, I have a plan (in my head) to rip it out and replace it and the stereo with an in-car PC, connected up to the ECU to read out live data to display :thumbs: (it'll never happen though :()

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool sounds good, but the iphone is easier, LOL the other thing you could do is just replace the info center with Satnav, which was my original idea.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
cool sounds good, but the iphone is easier, LOL the other thing you could do is just replace the info center with Satnav, which was my original idea.
I've thought about it ... but I like to have the "miles to go" and "consumption" figures ... which actually are completely wrong ... so it might make sense to rip it out anyway ...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as I don't have infocenter, I cannot comment, I was annoyed that I could not have cruise control, which was the only reason I went down this road, just wanted something different. I love my car all the same, Alfa's are a joy to drive. I had a Audi A4, NO COMPARISON !!!!

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
How simple was it to swap the old vent unit for the one with the screen module?
Was looking to replace it on mine, to have somewhere for the sat-nav to hide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hazz37,
Is your info centre surplus to requirements? Have had my facelift 156 just over a week and mine has packed in! (much to my mates amusement, no new Alfas are really reliable).....

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
350 Posts
very nice idea i like it

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice and easy to do, on relacement unit, just break off clips that stop it from dropping in original space, until it fits flat. take of LCD unit and tape on Sat nav or iphone. I fed power cable to back of stereo and hard wired it, and then bingo. Remember the alarm LED.
I used a silicone sealent, which seems to have stuck it down. No rattles and all vents work.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
chris156
i have been looking at the options of fitting an in car pc to replace the stereo, i think this may be of interest to you as it includes obd software, download the free trial and install on your home pc to have a play with it, its a fantastic bit of software

CarPC Front-end Software | Centrafuse

the easyest way to build youself an in car pc is to use an old or secondhand laptop (£100 ish) as the base for it as you can get them to run on 12v electrics very easy as most offer a ciggarette lighter power supply as an option (maplins etc.)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
chris156
i have been looking at the options of fitting an in car pc to replace the stereo, i think this may be of interest to you as it includes obd software, download the free trial and install on your home pc to have a play with it, its a fantastic bit of software

CarPC Front-end Software | Centrafuse

the easyest way to build youself an in car pc is to use an old or secondhand laptop (£100 ish) as the base for it as you can get them to run on 12v electrics very easy as most offer a ciggarette lighter power supply as an option (maplins etc.)
:thumbs: thanks mate that looks pretty good, I'll look into it in more detail tomorrow (when I'm at work) ... and I already have 2 old laptop's lying around the house, one where the screen doesn't work (although the VGA output is fine) and the second which doesn't have a battery (I justified to myself that as a new battery would cost £175 I just bought a new one :D) ...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK talking about PC in place of stereo, but what bit of hardware do you use in place of stereo, touch screen monitor ?, but where from ?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
yes a touchscreen monitor is the thing to use with the software i linked too, you can get loads of different software, there is even some open source free software that does the job, there are loads of online shops (search google for 7" touchscreen of in car pc) as well as ebay

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What would be cool, if I could get a touch screen, the same size as the info center, any ideas on that, searched google, with no joy.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
What would be cool, if I could get a touch screen, the same size as the info center, any ideas on that, searched google, with no joy.
The trouble is that screen would just be a bit too small ... I was maybe thinking about removing the radio and temp gauge, clock and fuel gauge and replacing them with a touch screen ... then using the info centre area to have a small normal screen to display the sat nav stuff (but have it controlled by the lower screen) ...

... obviously you'd need to gain access to the temp and fuel gauge data to display on the screen ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts