Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, thankfully the technician from Sturgess could hear the rattle/resonance that has been driving me insane since I bought my GQV nearly 5 months ago. Unfortunately he says it is within the dash and I need to allow 2-3 days for them to strip the car down to deal with it.

Now, following Symon's post (here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/955521-is-this-supposed-to-be-like-this.html), and a general concern that such comprehensive work could cause more problems than it would solve, what would you do?

I'll be honest, I do wonder whether the work would really be as complex as suggested and whether they are trying to put me off asking them to sort what must be something akin to finding a needle in a haystack. Most other dash rattle threads seem to be relatively easily sorted?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Now, following Symon's post (here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/955521-is-this-supposed-to-be-like-this.html), and a general concern that such comprehensive work could cause more problems than it would solve, what would you do?
That's simply not the case though (imo)

My 2010 model had the dash rattle fix and yet it's clear from that thread that mine was refitted the same as every normal G. It's just as well it did work as it cost me over £300 for the work.

What would concern me most is why you have a problem at all. AR have known about these problems for years (according to my dealer they even now have fixing kits available for the older models) and the changes incorporated into more recent models are supposed to have solved this problem for good.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My MA G is Dec2014, put up with the increasingly irritating dash rattles until the first service. Thames Fiat sent me out with their senior tech, he explained it was significant work, as did the service guy, but he knew what it was and it was fixed perfectly, including a uconnect rattle that was intermittent. The whole dash had to come out but it was all under warranty and I'm so happy it is sorted now.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I had the nuisance dash rattle on my May 2014 S-nav, it was within the First 6ish months of purchase, I went to an indipendant family run Alfa agent, and they were nothing short of fantastic, they had the car in sent me out with a tech he leant forward and pressed the dash and said yes it needs the dash pull and a kit putting on to stop the rattle, this was all in a space of a week

I was petrified of something happening to the interior as it was so new but it came back fine, there were some fine scratches on the kick plates but thats me being incredibly fussy- the dealer was that good (its an hour away) I went back for my first service and I most definately will be going back for my second despite there being one closer :thumbup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had the same problem for ages. Took mine to Alfa Peterborough. They fitted a kit and a week later, the dash vibration came back .Took it back and they said it was in a different area. Ive had 3 kits fitted .It still vibrated .Amazingly, out of nowhere, once it hit the winter months, it stopped for the first time. Strange. Just hope it doesn't come back in the summer .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine has a rattle only in winter, and when the mornings are very cold. After a few minutes - OK, more like 10 until the heater's warm - the rattle goes. It comes from round the vent area on the top of the dash, and if I push down on it during said rattle, it stops. I live with it. Radio on it's not audible anyway. Cheap, brittle plastic made more brittle by cold weather perhaps?

·
Registered
236 Posts
My vibration/rattle has come back again. It was fine for a few months in the winter, but has come back again in the summer. The dash vibrates when I accelerate. It's not as bad as it once was..but it's still annoying. It's worse when Im going uphill. Its like the engine is making the whole front of my car vibrate. Typically I was out of warranty when it came back. I had 2 lots of grommits fitted at different times. Rang Alfa cs..but they reckon there's nothing they can do as its now out of warranty .Surely, the fact I've had 2 lots of grommits fitted, means that I should be able to take it back as it wasn't cured. Anyone else had the same problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts