Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.9 2006 JTDm

Battery icon on dash yesterday morning - Car started ok, icon went after 10 mins of driving.
Car won't start yesterday evening (no electrics) - Had to jump it, elec came back after a few miles driving. Every warning light under the sun!
This morning no electrics again - Jumped it, got stuck in traffic, fighting a stall against a car with not enough electricity outputted from the alternator to keep her running. Eventually stalled (in traffic on a busy duel carriage way). Pushed to side of road safely.
Car is off to AHM in Hartley Whitney tomorrow. I suspect the alternator is kaput.
The battery is only 10 months old.

Anyone have any experience with an alternator being replaced at a garage? How much did it set you back...

Cheers all

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I don't think there have been many alternator failures on the 159/Brera

Just the batteries. Possibly needs an examiner reset too.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi, I had the battery replaced on mine this year after all the dash lights came on, but it was the alternator - would be OK for a few miles then all the error lights would illuminate - it was expensive as I had a new one, there were no reconditioned ones - £700 fitted by NJS Pershore as it's a bugger to get to - I think it was about £580 for the unit.

It was the first time NJS had heard of an alternator failure on a Brera.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
easy way to tell, with the car off check the battery should be around 12.5v ish for a health battery, turn the car on and see what you get, if battery is charging okay you should see more like 13.5v. If it is alternator you should be able to find refurbed or pattern parts easy enough, the 1.9jtd is used the world over in Fiat / Alfa group and GM.

maybe get a bid in on This cheapy one here and save yourself some £££.

·
Registered
714 Posts
1.9 2006 JTDm

Battery icon on dash yesterday morning - Car started ok, icon went after 10 mins of driving.
Car won't start yesterday evening (no electrics) - Had to jump it, elec came back after a few miles driving. Every warning light under the sun!
This morning no electrics again - Jumped it, got stuck in traffic, fighting a stall against a car with not enough electricity outputted from the alternator to keep her running. Eventually stalled (in traffic on a busy duel carriage way). Pushed to side of road safely.
Car is off to AHM in Hartley Whitney tomorrow. I suspect the alternator is kaput.
The battery is only 10 months old.

Anyone have any experience with an alternator being replaced at a garage? How much did it set you back...

Cheers all
Mine went in the summer mate ... same symptoms. I checked all the earths etc but it was the alternator.

I got a recon off ebay which was around £85 delivered. Cant seem to find that seller now but here is one I found at around £100 delivered mate

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTDM 16V (939) Alternator 2005 to 2008

I got it fitted for around an hours labour and they did it from the top .....but beware but one garage wanted over £200+ VAT as they reckoned it had to be done froM underneath, dropping subframes and suspension parts to get to it !!!!! beware and insist it is done from the top

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts