Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks, hoping someone has experienced this and its a quick fix before i start looking into in more detail. 2001 GTV 916 TS.

I had to remove door card today to reseat door handle lock cable which got pulled due to frozen lock (my idiocy) and due to inclement weather and being outside i was in a bit of a rush. put everything back together and then noticed 1) power windows both sides were not working and 2) dashboard gauges (all needles, lights ok) were not working. checked fuses visually and appeared ok although i didnt have a torch so may have missed the obvious. I didnt disconnect battery and at one point had key in ignition although not starrted so hoping i did not blow a fuse. all wiring behind door card ok i.e i didnt pull or cut any wiring. any thoughts ? I had to pull door card off in the end in frustration and need to get this sorted by weekend. thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
lots of views but no replies. .... well an update. Problem is still there grrr. I've checked all fuses and other than the rear window demister fuse area surround having burnt through (I'm pretty sure its been like that before) I cannot get the mileometer or rev counter gauge to work, even though they light up, although the temp, engine and start lights don't work., also the centre console 3 gauges don't light nor the needles move.

Any ideas where the problem might originate from ? can anyone point me to a wiring diagram and I'll get the multimeter out and check all switches, I would hate to have to rip out the dashboard.

Failing that will need to make a call to the auto-electrician.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
If none of the gauges are working I would say it is either the fuses F14 (25A) or F15 (10A) are blown or the wiring from the fuses have a poor connection.
It is most likely F15 as it also supply the power windows.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, I'll take a look again. can the whole fuse box be disconnected from wiring loom and removed? i'd like to inspect more closely and its very difficult when you're lying upside down under the dashboard. all fuses looked ok when i checked so now i think must be a connection issue or the rear window demister fuse blown has impacted the other fuses....

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
A visual check of a fuse isn't sufficient. Pull the fuse, noting where it came from first, and check for continuity with a multimeter. Or just change it with a known good one. Then if nothing found try the other action you propose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Before you start ripping stuff out (and if F15 is not the problem). Make yourself a complete inventory of what does not work. I note for example that F15 also supplies the reversing lights - do those work?

With a complete inventory you can trace on wiring diagrams where a (many?) fault(s) are located.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you start ripping stuff out (and if F15 is not the problem). Make yourself a complete inventory of what does not work. I note for example that F15 also supplies the reversing lights - do those work?

With a complete inventory you can trace on wiring diagrams where a (many?) fault(s) are located.
thanks all. Car has been parked up. When weather abates will start with a bottom up approach and test everything, and failing that will call in the auto electrician....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, just to put a bookend on this thread, i managed to fix the issue today. Having checked all fuses that related to the non-functioning electrical appliances, i then decided to check all fuses in the fuse box. and lo and behold, fuse 10 was the guilty culprit. Replaced and now all working. Tested and refitted door panel and all looks ok now.

So what are the lessons I've learned that I can impart on others?

always disconnect battery when working on car, even if you're doing something as simple as door card removal. It's better to be safe....
if you don't, at least make sure you don't leave the key in the ignition (which is what i thin i did)
If you do get an electrical fault, always check the fuses, first the related ones, then all fuses.... carefully

thanks to all who took the time to respond to my SOS.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
By fuse 10 do you mean the fuse that is named F10 or a 10A fuse?
Because F10 is, according to the workshop manual, for the left high beam light bulb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts