Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
After 3 days and 200 miles of mixed motoring it's definitely fixed.

So if you have a rattle that appears to be coming from the glove box then read the fix in the post above.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Hi OE,
Is your fix still a success? I can't believe it's been almost 5 months and I haven't got round to trying the fix. I think I'll have a look over Xmas hols.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes. But I need to tweak it too often. The lower mounting on the expansion bottle slowly bends back so I've had to spend 10 minutes taking it off and reshaping the mount. So phase 2 will be a more rigid mounting. I haven't taken off the scuttle cover to examine the foam layers I added.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I seem to get a rattle from the front window demisting vents like a tapping sound. Not sure if I can just get a coat hanger to pull the vents out and apply some anti-rattle tape?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I seem to get a rattle from the front window demisting vents like a tapping sound. Not sure if I can just get a coat hanger to pull the vents out and apply some anti-rattle tape?
We've tried all those. You'll see extensive write ups of Glove boxes; Seat Belts; Seats; Doors; door seals.

Trust me, It will be the wiring/expansion bottle.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Careful with the expansion tank on the TBI.
They tend to split.
And also one of the small diameter plastic hose push connectors
on the engine side fracture with time and any movement of the tank
causes it to fail. (Easily fixed by removing it and clamping the hose
with a proper jubilee clip instead.)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Careful with the expansion tank on the TBI.
They tend to split.
And also one of the small diameter plastic hose push connectors
on the engine side fracture with time and any movement of the tank
causes it to fail. (Easily fixed by removing it and clamping the hose
with a proper jubilee clip instead.)
I've had both of those; but before I clamped up the expansion tank. The plastic connector on the side of the engine was very annoying. You lose all the water and the different size of inlet and outlet make it impossible to do a temporary repair. Fortunately, mine happened on the drive while I was investigating a small water loss.

So a better stiffer mounting of the expansion bottle must be on my list. I was pondering whether a strut brace would allow an expansion bottle mounting. Not that the struts need bracing; just a very stiff mounting point to stop the bottle rattling.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sorry didn't realize you were referring to the coolant bottle as the 'expansion tank' if I'am correct that is. I'll see what my investigation comes up and whether a solution makes any difference.

I did manage to fix an annoying rattle coming from the fuse box cover on the right hand side under the fog light switches, the hinges had too much play in them, so I stuffed them with anti-rattle tape and it fixed it. Also I've noticed the wind wiper sensor next to the interior mirror rattles occassionally even though there is very little movement in it. Just a simple touch / press on it alleviates the noises.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I’ve been fiddling around with various bits on the car. Whilst I was cleaning the subframe up and painting it, I had the wheel arch liners out and noticed that I’d had them off before and tied a few loose cables up in case they were making the rattle.

I found the drain pipe, which is pretty much under the battery, flapping around even though I had cable tied it in the past. So I strapped it up securely and unless it was where the bumper attaches to the subframe, I have no rattle anymore. I took it on some of the worst roads for the rattle and absolutely no noise was present. I’m so chuffed, that’s annoyed me for the time I’ve had the car, I’d had centre console out, glovebox out, every suspension component replaced and anything in the engine bay I could move, that didn’t need to move, tied down.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
After a couple of weeks of beautiful silence, the knocking is back. I wish I knew what I did to stop it, but just can’t remember what I’d did on the car that day.
i just had the shuttle of again and packed the wiring loom as per Old Engineer. I also revisited the expansion tank and did what OE did, it doesn’t move now, but unfortunately hasn’t fixed it. I’m going to pull the trim, glovebox and pollen filter to see if any of that works.
Just need a new car really.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Had the glove box out and footwell liner, strapped a few bits up, but knew it wouldn’t be them. I got my wife to drive around while I was contorted in the footwell, but couldn’t feel anything knocking.
I’m going to have the wheel arch liner off again, but I’m pretty sure all is well padded and strapped up.
Bear in mind, it was doing this before new shocks, upper and lower wishbones, ARB links (and I’ve driven with them undone), track rod ends, you name, it’s likely been done, but certainly open to any ideas.
It does happen occasionally at speed, but it’s not really noticeable, it’s just around town that it’s totally annoying.

Anyway here’s a video so you can feel my pain.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
i'd check the seats, front and back to see if they're secure and nothing is rattle about under them. under tray is not flapping about. then if no covers are loose on anything i'd turn the stereo up.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Funnily enough, the passenger seat knee support does rattle a bit, I’m going to try and tape that up for a drive because I can’t see how to tighten it up.
Just had the arch liner off again and total belt and braces on anything that moves. Checked everything around the suspension, subframe and engine. Going for a test drive without the liner on.

Pretty sure it’s unrelated as they’ve been replaced before and the knock was still present, but it looks like either the track rod ends or inner track rods are goosed. I can’t quite work out where the knock is from and I just broke my ball joint spliter, so can‘t undo and check. I had one track rod end replaced a year ago, that’s about Alfa parts standard🙄

If I can’t find it after all this, I’m treating myself to a quality sound system
Track rod👌🏻

41 - 53 of 53 Posts