Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday seemed a reasonable day to hunt the dash rattle. It's the one that sounds like something tapping a hard plastic. Something similar to the noise you get when bashing the glovebox hard. I had to change the pollen filter so removing the glovebox gives you plenty of room.
First off, remove the panel holding the passenger air bag switch. Just 3 push in clips. That reveals the one screw holding the horizontal chrome trim. Rest of this trim is just another bunch of push in clips and reveals the top glovebox screws. Then remove the gear lever side panel and that reveals the last lot of glovebox screws.

The first find was the lower glovebox screw. Totally undone and flapping around See first picture.

The next find was the gear selection cable (second picture). When you select 3rd the cable lifts off the airbag computer housing.

Everything else seemed tight. The horizontal panel under the glovebox was moving so a bit of foam is now jammed between it and the alloy dash. I was amused to see the airbag mounting has a very large bit of foam held in place by zip ties but the bag itself is solid.

So the gear selection cable is now shrouded in foam insulation tubing and the glovebox fitting has been re-attached to give a solid screw.

I also took the opportunity to feed the satnav power up through the central vent (where it's located) for a neat finish.

Is it better? Probably, but then I fitted new tyres last week and maybe the softer sidewalls are absorbing more. I'll take the radio out next to see if there's anything loose there. After that I'm back to the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Ha! I tried exactly the same thing last weekend. The only things I could feel a bit loose were the blue connector blocks to the left of your red ring in your last photo. I put a bit of silicone between the connector and its mount, it's secure now, but made no difference to th knocking.

My gear cables already have rubber tubing around them towards the bulkhead, but I didn't try changing gear to see if they moved and rubbed, shall have another look.

I also didn't seem to find the airbag from just taking the glovebox out, is it blatantly obvious or do you have to do it by feel?

I think I'll also take the centre console out at some point. It'd be great to get to the bottom of the noise.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't take a photo of the airbag but the mounting on the dash sub assembly was obvious.
I'll look at the radio next.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you go through the photos on this site you'll see the picture of the area I was working in. You can see the two zip ties directly above the pollen filter. The airbag is mounted above.
2008 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.2 JTS LE

You can put your hand through the gap and have a good wiggle (mine was tight)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I had another search this morning from below the car and in the engine bay.
I found the coolant reservoir as you did, it knocked on the bulkhead a fair bit at its base, so I pushed in some inner tube and secured it so it doesn't move now.

I just basically felt around for anything loose and either packed it or secured it.

Knowing that I'd found the source of the noise, I went for a drive only to find my efforts were pointless.

I bought a new pollen filter so will have the glovebox out again and see if there's anything loose I missed first time.

I'm trying to remember if I had the noise with the powerflexed wishbones, because in staring to wonder if it could be a lower wishbone, definitely not uppers.

Anyone know a syndrome of worn lower wishbones?

One good thing about jacking the car up was I got to have a play with the KW's compression settings.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Well I've had the glovebox out again, I now know why you do t have to remove the glovebox to do the pollen filter, never realised there was a detachable panel inside the box.

Had a good rummage around and can't feel anything loose. So had a look at the gear cables again and the one on the driver's side does make a knocking if you feel well up towards the gearstick area. So I secured it with cable ties and pushed some packing in there.

Went off for a drive without the glovebox in, very excited that I'd sorted it, but the noise is still there. Hopefully the Wife will play ball and drive me around tomorrow while I'm crouched in the footwell.

The noise is getting more frequent now, that could be a good thing, maybe a bush is wearing out or a bad thing and something is working its way loose.

How would I test for a worn bush in the lower wishbone? Just with a pry bar? Would the wheel be best left on to test?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know why you are moving to the suspension; because everything in the dash seems tight. But the noise just sounds like the 'tapping' of something hitting a hard plastic. If you bang the bottom right corner of the glovebox you get the similar sound. I've done 100 miles today on back roads and it's getting to me.

I think I'll also look under the passenger seat (because it seems to be inside the cabin). I was also going to remove the radio and have a feel around.

The other thing I must remember is that noise travels. Is it being piped into the cabin? It just seems to 'tappety' to be a suspension noise (knock).

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I take it you mean the plastic shroud at the bottom of the windscreen? Well OE and I have had this off many times and check underneath for anything loose- nowt.

I had another look underneath this morning, doesn't seem any excess play in the lower wishbone, but couldn't undo the hub bolt to see if the ball joint there was okay.
I did change the compression and height of the suspension though:biglaugh: and I'm still fondling the inners of the dash but to no avail.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, we've both had the scuttle panel off and tried different things. But that is the 'type' of noise; just not the source.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I just had the centre top of dash vent out, there was a flapping connector in there, no idea what it's for, but strapped it up anyway- no change.
Went for a drive and had a good listen and feel for any thing moving, but all I get is the metal chassis as a whole. I've decided to bin it for now and just sit back and wait to see if it gets worse.
Defeated for now.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I can't believe with the amount of checking dome, I've not found it. I've just been to a garden centre and driven over some pretty rough ground. Although it was constant shaking of the car, the noise was still only intermittent.

So far I've eliminated-
Drop links
Undone ARB
Upper wishbones
Shock mounts, shocks, springs
Outer and inner track rods
Spiders are only 18 months old
Wheel arch trim
Undertray
Everything unde scuttle panel
Coolant reservoir and pipes
Driven without glovebox and dash vent
Secured gear cables

Left to check by a pro is lower wishbone and maybe gearbox/engine mounts.

So yes OE, over to you:biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK. I'll be underneath at some point to clear dead rabbit from the tray. It was already dead when I went over it but with less than 100mm of Ti ground clearance I heard the scrape. Some 5 miles down the road and cooking meat smell got into the cabin.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
For the scuttle, I put masking tape on the windscreen at every point there is a clip to keep the scuttle attached to the screen, solved my rattle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
For the scuttle, I put masking tape on the windscreen at every point there is a clip to keep the scuttle attached to the screen, solved my rattle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
Aye, that's been done and redone. It's a very different noise, at least in my case. Best way I can describe mine is a cable about the size of a battery earth cable whipping a piece of metal from 1 1/2" away.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Now that noise sounds familiar - mine was the exhaust heat shield that had become loose and had pulled the nut through the shield

My tale of woe is I dropped a Torx bit whilst removing the pollen filter detachable cover and it dropped down the gap :depressed:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have also developed a rattle. Yesterday I removed the glovebox and went for a drive. No rattle so seems in my case is the glovebox. I'll refit and see how I get on in the next days.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And I presume yours is a Left Hand Drive. This might be helpful in tracing if it is an item that is not unique to RHD.

Just to be sure; we are looking at a rattle (described by alcooker) "a cable about the size of a battery earth cable whipping a piece of metal from 1 1/2" away". I would add that its direction is about where the Expansion Bottle sits but in the cabin.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts