Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man..I've got a dash rattle that is driving me to the point of madness. I mean driving down the road, not looking where I'm going while punching and pushing the dash is not how I envisage happy alfa ownership..

So far I've taking the aluminium/brushed steel looking facia and packed it out. Didn't help.
The B&M unit thing behind it I've packed around that. Didn't help.
If I push down on the cubby hole storage thingy on top of the dash it goes away, so I took that sucker out, Drove down the road and it was still there so it's not that.

It sounds like a buzzing sound, seems to be coming passenger side behind the glovebox or towards the front of the glove box.

Before I get the hammer out does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try? Next attempt I'm going to try to take the glove box out and cover everything in black tape and foam and hope for the best...

Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
You are not alone, I think a large percentage of Giuliettas have at least one persistent rattle.

Mine has one persistant one from area around the vent on top of the dash, and another from the glovebox area which appears when the car is cold inside.

I would suggest turning the radio up, but then the speakers will start buzzing as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha! Yeah I'm using the radio trick at the moment, I did have a rattly speaker but I sorted that unless I turn the stereo volume and bass to 17 year old single male level.

Funny you say about it rattling when it's cold as I find after maybe 15mins of driving it seems to dampen down some what.

I read somewhere on the forums you can get the dash taken out and have some anti vibration pegs or something to that effect changed. Anyone had that done?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I had one like that....turned out to be a few:
1. my belt on the leather
2. the zip on my coat rattling on the seat plastics
3. dropped coin rattling on seat runner

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I've been driving for 30years and NEVER driven a car with such appalling dash & speaker rattles. It's as if it doesnt fit the car chasis but they didnt have the budget to adapt it.

I love everything about the car but this noise is really spoiling the experience.

It can be improved by wedging thin strips of foam in gaps between dash trim but its ludicrous we should be doing this to cars in 2016

How this can have got through the quality control at Alfa is beyone me

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Mines silent now.

I had an undertray rattle, but wedged a piece of foam between the undertray and subframe at therear right corner and it's gone.

if the booster seat is in the back, and the seat belt hooked behind it (as opposed to it's natural unused position) I can hear the top hinge from that seatbelt rattling very slightly.

the wife's sunglasses in the passenger door compartment!!!

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
I had a rattle in mine the other week, every time I went around a corner there was a noise from under the passenger seat.

On inspection I found one of the baby daughters rattles underneath it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha! I'd love it to be something that simple, think I'm going to take the glove box out and see what I can see, Hey maybe I might get lucky and there might be something similar wedged underneath!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So..
Took out the glovebox, comes out pretty easy! Had a look and a feel and the only thing kinda loose feeling is that blue and me unit thing.

So I packed around it with 12 sheets of kitchen roll, some tea towel I got free with an ocado shopping delivery I had that one time, my misses 'hair' towel, you know, the second slightly smaller towel just for drying you hair, sure she won't miss it and 6 tesco carrier bags stuffed into any crevice they would fit.

Tighten and screws you find in there. Re fit glovebox with great difficulty due to all the random things I'd jammed in there. Test the heater blowers still blow and wipe away the kitchen towel dust from the dash.

Admire the fact I didn't scratch anything and now wait until I have to drive to work later to test the success of the job.

Phew! Update to follow...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I read somewhere on the forums you can get the dash taken out and have some anti vibration pegs or something to that effect changed. Anyone had that done?
I did.

Cost me about £330 from a top end main dealer (Meridian Milano, Bournemouth).

Worth every penny in my view although don't make the mistake of thinking it will cure every single rattle in the car but it does stop the ones that drive you crazy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did.

Cost me about £330 from a top end main dealer (Meridian Milano, Bournemouth).

Worth every penny in my view although don't make the mistake of thinking it will cure every single rattle in the car but it does stop the ones that drive you crazy.

Whoa that's a lot of money! But yeah I think it's worth it as well. When I come to sell it it could be a game changer as I know I wouldn't have brought it if I'd have heard that rattle as I know how much it would have wound me up!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So update...
It's still there but muffled. I'd say it's 50% fixed, maybe even enough for me to be able to live with, only time will tell. Such a shame to read so many others suffering with the same problem on such a beautiful car. Did alfa sort this out on the newer models?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The Dash rattle is a well known problem (Alfa even produced special kits to fix it) and I think was fixed on 2013 models onwards.

Not all cars are affected of course.

I

·
0 Posts
I have a rattle has well from the dashboard top compartment, seems to stop when car warms up and I have the heating on 32oc.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've got a drivers door rattle which is ****ing me off no end as the car was brand new less than 4 months ago! Am torn about whether to take it in to get it seen to as knowing my luck it wouldn't fix it but would create a new additional rattle!

R

·
0 Posts
Get it done before the first year is out as I know some dealers won't fix rattles after a certain period of the 3 year warranty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts