Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

So when i turn on my head lights (happens with main beam only) some lights briefly flash in my rev counter. when shooting the video there were only 2 lights flashing. but i've also seen around 5 lights flashing (in both rev + speedo) during a different morning.
on some occasions the rear screenwhiper also magically awakens. it then makes one full turn, and stops moving afterwards.
it's a nice and unique touch, however i'm pretty sure that this isn't a good thing :)
See video for example.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It might be just a simple issue, hopefully someone more experienced will give you a hint, but the bad news is that the steering column switch doesn't really control the headlights directly, it's just a logic signal that goes directly to the body computer, and those lights that flicker are also directly controlled by the body computer, so you might be facing an electrical problem in the body computer itself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention, one of the bootcase lights also flickers. Perhaps its a grounding issue?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah perhaps do that. Check what happened just now:

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
How old is the battery - it's got a weak one written all over
Possible, but on the first video he had the engine running, the alternator should have been capable of supplying the required current. You can (and should) measure it with a multimeter to be sure your alternator is not failing, mine did.

On the second video, it kind of looks like the dipped beams didn't even turn on, did they?

First I would take out the dipped beam relay and see if it still does that flickering in the dashboard. It's relay T1 on the relay box inside, close to the steering wheel, I don't remember if the car complains about the absence of the relays, if it complains get rid of the HID ballast.
This is the diagram with the relay: http://i.imgur.com/QXrEXDm.jpg
If you prefer real images, and if I didn't mess up, it's the one with the yellow arrow: http://i.imgur.com/P3HWpVc.jpg

There are many problems with aftermarket HID kits, they blind incoming traffic (the bulb doesn't match the reflector geometry), the bulbs are crap and damage the headlight itself with UV, the ballasts are rubbish and generate all sorts of electromagnetic interference, sometimes, when they get old and the input capacitors start failing, the generated EMI will impact other systems in the car, might be what's happening to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts