Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Im not sure what I have let myself in for but I have finally started the dash and centre console refurb. I am replacing both with original mint items (with no cracks or bits falling off)!
My plan is to replace most items that need replacing or refurb...

Ie..

All pipe work to the heater is either cracked or broken! to be replaced!
chrome instrument bezels to be replaced!
speedo pods refurb.. (check out the photo)
all nuts & bolts replaced with fresh items.
New indicator unit
New period radio
New switches
restore ashtray unit
remove and apply new sound deadening.

The list goes on!! Hopefully when complete it will look very nice:big laugh:

If any one wants details on where to get there binnacles redone let me know.. All I can say is WOW..

I will probably have lots of questions so please keep popping by..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now this is some thing new... When I removed the ashtray from the centre console I spotted a light bulb and fitment on the underside of the try. Never knew it existed.. Does yours work? if so when should it work? Or is it a fuse? :paranoid:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
On the S2 spider, when you pulled the ashtray cover back it illuminated a little bulb - maybe the same for yours?

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,555 Posts
I found that plastic parts can be made to look 'new' using plastic bumper spray paint.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never knew that! You learn some thing new every day! Another thing to add to my list! make sure it works!

On the S2 spider, when you pulled the ashtray cover back it illuminated a little bulb - maybe the same for yours?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
A matter of interest (academic for me as I sold my S2 last year) but how did you refinish the instrument binnacle covers with that crackle finish?? I was never able to properly replicate that.

Also, I don't know if you have noticed, but if you sit in an S2 and get somebody to take a photo from the right angle, the instrument binnacles make it look like you have big black breasts. No other car can do that, yet another unique Alfa Romeo feature. I did once trick my wife into being photographed like that to much amusement in the harryf household.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,555 Posts
Harry, my S2, is a Junior so does not have the same dash as a Veloce, my dash is more like a Duetto which is a shame as I always wanted black breasts! You can buy black crackle finish paint though, its for the dash boards on the MG's etc.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted them to look nice so I gave them to Redditch blasting who I have to say did an outstanding job. the finish is excellent. It cost me £30 for both complete binnacles and the indicator unit that sits between them.

After seeing how good these came out I am tempted to have me rear view mirror done too..

A matter of interest (academic for me as I sold my S2 last year) but how did you refinish the instrument binnacle covers with that crackle finish?? I was never able to properly replicate that.

Also, I don't know if you have noticed, but if you sit in an S2 and get somebody to take a photo from the right angle, the instrument binnacles make it look like you have big black breasts. No other car can do that, yet another unique Alfa Romeo feature. I did once trick my wife into being photographed like that to much amusement in the harryf household.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the red crackle paint on another car and you do need to heat the item to get a really good long lasting finish.. A can costs around £12 and because the items are quite prominent I wanted to pay a little extra and get a pro finish.. But the crackle paint is still a good item.

Harry, my S2, is a Junior so does not have the same dash as a Veloce, my dash is more like a Duetto which is a shame as I always wanted black breasts! You can buy black crackle finish paint though, its for the dash boards on the MG's etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts