Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having new tyres a couple of weeks ago, its time to get rid of my warped discs.
After an hour and a half, a broken breaker bar (nearly ended up head butting my front wing) and a brand new 3 foot breaker:eek: I eventually get the 10 bolts out of my front wheels..........:mad: I know its a cheap tyre place, but I have been there before and never had a problem.......
A quick job turns into an endless faff with a trip to the shops thrown in for good measure.

The worst thing is, I have heard it can be counted as a form of exercise. A habit I am not fond of making:mad:

Edit: Am now stuck with a heat patch on my back and am having to drink a Becks or two, to numb the pain.......

K

·
0 Posts
Nightmare. I don't know why they do it. The tyre man I go to nips them up with the same breaker bar he uses to crack them off. It takes him maybe 30 seconds per wheels longer and he reckons it doubles the life of the electric guns he uses.

All you can do is be thankful that you didn't find the problem at the side of a motorway in the ******* rain when you had a flat and a 12" wheelbrace.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Not excusing it when they seriously overtighten them, but how many people check the torque after 100 miles as recommended? If they didn't put them on s*dding tight, we'd have far more wheels coming off :(

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would of split the alfa brace if I'd have tried.
Would not have been a happy bunny if stuck on the M4:(

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
:( that is not good mate!
The alloy on the wheels will be under increased stress if they are that tight :(
You broke a breaker-bar doing it :eek:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Milimeters away from causing a huge dent in the wing with my forehead! Nevermind the alloys.........
Re assembeled with copper grease on the bolts and to the correct torque. Will re-torque one I have gone onn a pad/disc bedding in session tomorrow.
Just frustrates me how they could do them up seemingly as tight as possible without any regard to ever taking the wheels off again!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I don't know if it is the same everywhere but at my local Kwik Fit they always do the wheel nuts up by hand with a torque wrench. In fact now I think of it once the 'lad' has done the job the manager comes over with the wrench and checks each nut.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I don't know if it is the same everywhere but at my local Kwik Fit they always do the wheel nuts up by hand with a torque wrench. In fact now I think of it once the 'lad' has done the job the manager comes over with the wrench and checks each nut.
A couple of weeks ago when i had my tyre checked the young lad used the screw gun and the manager at kwik fit checked it, but if the gun does it too tight the torque wrench will always give way making you think its fine, but it could be too tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts