Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work through Weybridge this evening I witnessed a knob driving a VW Sharan minicab (AW03 AOF).

Number one: He was parked on the side of the road, facing the oncoming traffic. Nothing coming in his direction, he set off which involved pulling across a car coming towards him on the same side. The oncoming car had to brake and gave him a good blast of the horn. I was in a side road and saw him do this as I was waiting to pull out.

View from where I was waiting - he was parked where the black car is and cut across the oncoming traffic: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=elgin+road+weybridge&hl=en&ll=51.370986,-0.462714&spn=0.000973,0.001725&sll=51.597826,-0.134239&sspn=0.007691,0.013797&vpsrc=6&hnear=Elgin+Rd,+Weybridge+KT13,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.370986,-0.462714&panoid=NAanW0dXXI63eildX28C-A&cbp=12,84.07,,0,8.82

Number two: I was now behind him and waiting to make a sharp left turn at the end of the road. We both passed a cyclist as we came down the road, but as we stopped at the end the cyclist came back down our left hand sides and pulled up at the end of the road to turn left, level with taxi man. Spotting a gap, taxi man pulls out, but hasn't noticed the cyclist to his left and clips the lad's front wheel. Not sure if he wrecked it or not - but the cyclist looked round at me in disbelief and I raised my hands as is to say 'wtf was that guy playing at'.

Not sure if the cyclist got going in the end as I went on my way (couldn't really stop at the junction), but was still behind taxi man when he pulled up for his fare. I stopped, blocking him in, tapped on his window and asked him if he realised he'd just run over this cyclist's front wheel. His response - 'I never seen him, cheers mate'. I got the name of his taxi firm and his registration but unfortunately had no chance of finding the cyclist in the rush hour traffic.

Here is the left turn concerned - quite sharp and tight with a kerb on the inside. Cyclist was right on the left hand corner: elgin road weybridge - Google Maps

My question - is it worth ringing the taxi company and/or the police to report this incompetent driving? He was driving like a *** but do I want to risk getting him fired? I'm more concerned about the kid on the bike - even though he was asking for trouble sticking it down the inside on a left turn, he may now need to splash out on a new wheel because of taxi man's idiocy.

Is it worth reporting it to the local fuzz in case the lad has also reported it, and has a chance of claiming on taxi man's insurance? Or is it, as I suspect, likely to be filed and then forgotten about and ultimately through some administrative error end up getting me in trouble myself... :rolleyes:

Yout thoughts please!

·
Registered
37,742 Posts
Tell the police, don't bother with the taxi firm. If they want to misplace the report that is up to them.

How would you feel if tomorrow you drove past the same taxi driver at the scene of a fatality that he had caused?

K

·
0 Posts
Tell the police, don't bother with the taxi firm. If they want to misplace the report that is up to them.

How would you feel if tomorrow you drove past the same taxi driver at the scene of a fatality that he had caused?
my thoughts exactly keithy.

this guy needs stopping.

also try the local council as they hand out taxi licences, they will look into it. if they have a history of complaints on this guy then it's best he's off the road before someone gets seriously hurt

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
tell the police, don't bother with the taxi firm. If they want to misplace the report that is up to them.

+2

·
Registered
5,955 Posts

+2

Its actually a hit and run accident.

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Report him to the police.

He may be driving on a false licence.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Don't bother with the police it will be a total waste of your time and theirs. Report the driver to the local licensing authority. They hate stuff like that. The jobsworths there will be all over him like a rash within hours and cause him and his firm more grief than the police ever could.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Yes... report the tool! :D

Though that dumb cyclist learnt a lesson too... Good day all round! :thumbs:

Ralf S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts