Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

On trying to get to the bottom of why the fuel gauge on my 02' 147 2.0 Selespeed wasn't working I thought i'd take a look at the fuel pump/level sender connections that are underneath a black cover under the rear seats...

And found something pretty awful really, it seems like there are several wire broken, and nearly all of them are seriously damaged i.e you can see more copper than plastic. This is worrying because 1) I'm amazed the fuel pump is even still working! 2) Surely, with all that bare wiring a short circuit could happen, leading to a spark right on top of the fuel tank!

Here are some pictures (Sorry about the quality, it was dark!)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/lordrak/photo1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/lordrak/photo3-1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/lordrak/photo2-1.jpg

So it's obvious that this is the problem for me fuel gauge. So how would I go about fixing it?
If I take it to Alfa are they going to replace the whole Fuel Sender loom? Can I get one cheap?

Thanks Guys!

P.s. I find it hard to believe that this is just on my car, check your 147s fuel wiring!

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's damage from mice you can see on the first photo, and you can even see their droppings just next to the bottom left corner of the orange connector on the third photo :eek:
The other debris in there will be from them too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's damage from mice you can see on the first photo, and you can even see their droppings just next to the bottom left corner of the orange connector on the third photo :eek:
The other debris in there will be from them too.
I thought that too! But on closer inspection they don't seem to be droppings, more like bits of the insulating mat that goes underneath the seats. Also that part of the car is totally sealed!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I am amazed, the little *******s! You'd think they'd prefer a nice warm wall cavity! Does anyone know if there is another connector somewhere along the cable or do I need to be looking for a whole new loom?

·
Registered
262 Posts
you should be able to cut the wiring back enough to replace by the way of soldering new wire in its place then insulating with heat shrink then tape it up with self emulgatating tape,which is a rubber type stuff
steve

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Wonder if the CAT is faulty? :lol:

Why do rodents chew through cables? :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you should be able to cut the wiring back enough to replace by the way of soldering new wire in its place then insulating with heat shrink then tape it up with self emulgatating tape,which is a rubber type stuff
steve
Thats what I was thinking, just got to work out how to get access far enough back to cut into wires that haven't been chewed! Also, have absolutely no idea what wire needs to go where when it comes to the plug.

I wonder if anyone would be so kind as to have a look at their un-chewed set up...

Wonder if the CAT is faulty? :lol:

Why do rodents chew through cables? :confused:

Someone had to say it... :cheese:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, just got to work out how to get access far enough back to cut into wires that haven't been chewed! Also, have absolutely no idea what wire needs to go where when it comes to the plug.

I wonder if anyone would be so kind as to have a look at their un-chewed set up...
Can't remember precisely for the 147 but on the 156 and GTV there are four wires going to the plug, the two thicker wires are power and earth for the pump, the two thinner are for the gauge. They are colour coded so shouldn't be difficult to piece out.....If I remember I'll take a pic of a plug and length of wiring I chopped out of a 156 a while ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't remember precisely for the 147 but on the 156 and GTV there are four wires going to the plug, the two thicker wires are power and earth for the pump, the two thinner are for the gauge. They are colour coded so shouldn't be difficult to piece out.....If I remember I'll take a pic of a plug and length of wiring I chopped out of a 156 a while ago.
That would be unbelievably helpful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts