Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old OE dampers have finally pegged out after just 11 years and a million miles.

What's involved in changing them..? Just undo the bolts at the top and it all drops out?

What about putting the new ones in? Do I need a spring compressor?

Apart from the OE shocks have been fantastic, they're also pretty dear - I don't think I'll have the car another 11 years - so cheaper dampers are in order. Anyone got any recommendations? I'll have box-standard springs etc.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Ralf S. said:
My old OE dampers have finally pegged out after just 11 years and a million miles.

What's involved in changing them..? Just undo the bolts at the top and it all drops out?

What about putting the new ones in? Do I need a spring compressor?
Yes you will need a spring compressor

Try and crack the top nut with the full weight of the car on the strut, i.e make it the first thing you do! It can be a bugger, on both of mine I couldnt shift it, took them to local engineer place who had more powerful windy tools than me.

bolts: 2 bigguns at the bottom (17mm or 19mm), 3 smallens (13mm I think) at the top

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The rears are easier. Just undo the lower damper nut (21mm) and slide the bolt out partially. Undo the spring lower cup nut (10mm) and remove the bolt (otherwise the spring may dislocate itselt at the top and damage the bumpstop). This bolt will break and a new M6 nut and bolt will be neeeded. Then when the spring is fully extended, there is a plastic cap in the chassis leg which conceals the 15mm top bolt. Take care when removing this though as if the bolt slips, it will fall down inside the chassis leg (a telescopic magnet is invaluable to retreive the bolt).

The front struts are quite costly. I ended up using Monroe OE replacements (£60 each-trade) but obtained a couple of nearly new Bilsteins for the rear. I can't tell you how good the Billys are- just better in every way. The car leans less with them, fast cornering is less likely to bring on roll oversteer, adhesion is better- especially over rough surfaces, and ride quality is also actually better due to reduced body motion.

The Monroes at the front are similar to OE, but damper companies claim their replacement dampers are about 15% uprated (to compensate for suspension wear). I can't really say just how they campare like for like though.

Remember to get new damper protection gaiters/bump stops at the front if necessary. Monroe now market a protection kit for the front of the 155 (cost a little over £20).

Also beware of replacement damper companies who market a very rationalised range- their dampers may not be specifically valved for the sporting 155, but more likely have a comfort setting for Fiat Tipo and Bravas. Boge, Magnetti Marelli and Unipart fall into this catagory.:eek:

BTW, the lower front strut bolts are 15mm heads and 18mm nuts I think.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent Top-Tips dude.. Thanks.

I think the OE stuff is made by Bilstein ( I won't know till I drop the leaking one out). They've been excellent really.

I may have to look for some Bilsteins in a Bilstein box, instead of Bilsteins in an Alfa box, if I'm right.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
56 Posts
KYB (Kayaba) shocks on www.buypartsby.co.uk

Front £44.18 + vat each

Rear £14.59 + vat each

I fitted them to my beast and they are fine. (apparently they are OEM for Subaru)

Top nut as mentioned is a pain. Definitely loosen it with wheels still on ground (but not too much!)

Mike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts