Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed tonight as I got in the car that there's a damp patch under the airbag that sits above the drivers door... how the hell could that happen? It hasn't rained heavily today, the only thing I've done is use the washers to wash the windscreen. It almost looks like the airbag has leaked!

I'd add a photo but it won't let me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you tell?

There is a loose seal at the bottom of the windscreen by the wiper on the drivers side, which I guess could indicate that the windscreen had moved in a bit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gap between the frame and the windscreen is slightly larger on the drivers side than the passenger side, would that make a diff? I would have thought that as long as the seals were good it wouldn't matter.

In the pic you can see the damp patch, just seems like a weird position for it to happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think this is the problem, the seal isn't covering near as much of the gap on the drivers side as it is on the passenger side... so, black electrical tape to the rescue! At least it'll show me if that's the entry point if nothing else.

Whilst doing that though I noticed a big bloody stone chip :cry: 11 years driving my old Mazda, 176000 miles, and at most there was 5 or 6 smallish ones... had this a month and a bit and already there's one. Why do all the pretty cars have to have such flakiness!

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
I suspect that'll be something an Autoglass tech could fix cheaply for some beer money, had a similar problem on an old Audi and he resealed it for a tenner :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Did you phone them up and get them to do it or did you know the guy already? I do have a stone chip on my windscreen... maybe I could use that as an excuse to get them out and hijack them when they get here ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Nah, i just popped into a local branch for a little advice to see if a tiny chip i had would fail an MOT (and possibly repair it), and mentioned the leak.

Leak and chip fixed for £10 :) I suspect it was an ideal time to ask as he said the others were all on call-outs :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just went through the process on the autoglass site (only way I could think of to find where the nearest branch is) and it reckons it needs to replace the windscreen because the chip is near the edge of the window. How mad is that? If they look at it and say yes they do then the insurance company is going to be giving me some funny looks, already had the windscreen on my old 323f replaced a few months back.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just went through the process on the autoglass site (only way I could think of to find where the nearest branch is) and it reckons it needs to replace the windscreen because the chip is near the edge of the window. How mad is that? If they look at it and say yes they do then the insurance company is going to be giving me some funny looks, already had the windscreen on my old 323f replaced a few months back.
Its just one of those things mate... i had 4 windscreens within 6 months on my old megane coupe... It was down to the angle of the windscreen, it seemed to catch stones like nothing id ever seen before... your insurance shouldnt bat an eyelid.... its a different car anyways... plus you need a new (safe) windscreen anyway so... talking of stones, may as well kill 2 birds... go get it sorted and save your interior getting ruined.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts