Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Received what is probably my last copy of Autocar today :D having cancelled my subscription because I think it's pants :(

My reasons for ending are totally backed up by the report (page48) on the Alfa 3.2 GT v Pug 407 2.7 GT Coupe v Mazda RX8 228. Basically, they hate the Alfa (save the engine & gearbox). Fair enough, they're entitled to their opinion BUT there's a box with "what's next in Coupe s" and they mention the 3 series & something from Audi but there's nowt about the Brera. How biased against Alfa is this??

In an attempt compensate, on page 24 (auction watch), they state there's some terrible anti Italian discrimination which is why cars are so cheap nearly new / used. No wonder when nearly everything they write about Alfa / Fiat is so negative.

I may have to write in and voice my opinions!

Cheers,

·
Registered
213 Posts
Simon,

You're absolutely right! A lot of car mags seem to have an anti-Alfa bias these days, but they're very quick to put the cars on the front covers because they look so good and no doubt help to sell a lot of mags. Alfas do have their faults and are not Germano-perfect but when you've owned one for a while (and not just driven one for a few days like the testers) you really appreciate their sheer character. It's easy to get passionate about Alfas - most other cars are just appliances.

·
Registered
30,291 Posts
Saying they only drive them for a few days is being generous!
It is usually only a day and most of that will not be spent driving it...
A friend of mine works for a small UK Supercar company and a very good car mag had one of their pre production cars for a day, he was with them the whole time, the article read like they spent the day thrashing round the British countryside but in truth they hardly drove it at all... the rest of the time being spent taking pictures...!

·
Registered
373 Posts
It seems to me that the motoring press in the UK is generally anti Alfa and FIAT but is this the case in other parts of the world?
Vin

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
When I first started looking for a new car I tried to read all the reviews I could to get an idea of what was out there, most reliable, least depreciation etc. So, I should have gone for the Golf GTI without a doubt. But I didn't - why?

When it comes down to it, you can't just buy a car with your head - there has to be some heart involved. And I think that's a lot more true for Alfa owners than any other group. I hadn't even considered an Alfa until my son mentioned how good looking the GT was. Once I'd seen one in the flesh and test driven it, there wasn't going to be another car for me - it didn't matter how much faster or more reliable the Golf was, how many extra hp the VXR had - the GT was the one for me.

There are far more practical estates out there, faster Coupes and cheaper hatches. But why would you chose anything else once you've driven and fallen in love with the styling, engine and character of an Alfa?

I still do look at reviews, but if they're negative just think to myself - "what do they know? They obviously have yet to discover the italian passion that is Alfa "

And I wouldn't swap mine with anything (well unless someone offered me a Ferrari 355 ;) and even then I'd keep the GT as well)

Remembered one that said the GT was cramped in the back and gave 2/5, but gave an Audi TT 4/5 for space - have you ever seen the back of a TT :mad:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Autocar are horribly anti-Alfa, particularly the V6's, I'm a subscriber and it is fair to say they obsess about steering feel, ride quality, RWD, and their perception that Alfa's are unreliable. This particular article was poorly written and biased, focusing on the flaws of the Alfa and the strengths of the others. It also managed to slag off my car - the 156GTA - in the process! The 3.2 Alfas have all been well reviewed elsewhere, even at other UK mags, but Autocar and sister What Car insist on sticking the boot in every time.

G

·
Wasn't it basically down to bad press that the UK lost Lancia? The beta was a rust bucket, but then so were early 80's Toyotas! As a result of the bad press all Lancias got regarded as rust buckets and they pulled out of the UK market. Even I was drawn in, but still went ahead and bought a 1990 Delta integrale in 2001. OK I imported it from the continent, but when I asked the MOT station what the car was like for rust, he told me there wasn't any at all, and explained it was only really the beta that had bad rust issues. I also had that car for 2 years and it never missed a beat and was utterly reliable, not bad for a 12 year old rust bucket!

The other thing I just don't get is this perception that BMW's are the dogs doobries when it comes to reliablilty... they're pants!!! A mate has an 04 318 and another friend drove it once, he found it awful and said how warning lights kept flashing up! add to that at the time he himself was driving a Saxo that is saying something to think a BMW was worse.

I think a lot of the trouble is when a BMW goes wrong, they have the parts to hand and the problem is dealt with ASAP. With FIAT and Alfa you often end up waiting weeks or months for parts from Italy. My local dealer are on the ball and I can't fault them but only just managed to get the missing seatbelt from Italy for the Punto I sold my sister over 2 months ago.

·
Registered
567 Posts
vinkeirle said:
It seems to me that the motoring press in the UK is generally anti Alfa and FIAT but is this the case in other parts of the world?
Vin
I think its true here in Australia too. The usual pattern is enthusiasm for the Alfa at the launch and then finding fault in local tests, usually saying the Alfa is good but flawed and that Hondas and Mazdas are far superior handlers.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Why buy a car magazine when you can watch the same sort of "Anal Detritis" on TV by watching Topgear......
On second thoughts, at least Top gear is entertainment and in OZ costs nothing to watch ;) :D

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
lynnb said:
Remembered one that said the GT was cramped in the back and gave 2/5, but gave an Audi TT 4/5 for space - have you ever seen the back of a TT :mad:
I tried to sit in Audi TT on one motorshow. I have 195-196cm and I couldnt even get in!!!! I had the seat far back and steering wheel up and I couldnt pass my leg under the weel and get in. I told to the dealer to give the car back to children on the playground and I left.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stori said:
Why buy a car magazine when you can watch the same sort of "Anal Detritis" on TV by watching Topgear......
On second thoughts, at least Top gear is entertainment and in OZ costs nothing to watch ;) :D
At least the TG boys acknowledge an alfa owner as a true petrol head. Even Vicky Butler-Henderson was having babies at the GT's looks.. but the other two were against it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
all of this suggests that in the entire world of motoring journalism, there is not one Alfa Owner, not one person who understands Alfa, which seems really odd to me - surely a field you would go into if you loved cars, rather than just working for What Carpet or Ballcock monthly incorperating Plumbingworld.

I wonder what AR make of the constant sniping - even the preview articles I've seen for the Brera and 159 usually end up saying something along the lines of "only time will tell if Alfa have finally sorted build quality issues to compare with German rivals etc...."

are they so dumb that they can't see that there has been a steady, progressive improvement through the recent models? AR's reputation seems to come from the 70's and 80's but they don't seem to hold the rubbish firms like Toyota made back then against them

Career change, anyone?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson has said on Top Gear that he has a love of alfa's and that you never forget your first one.

Why should the cars Alfa make become as souless as their better built German and Japanese counterparts?

My gf has an Audi A3 and it is over engineered to the point of boredom, yes a nice drive but, ultimately, a boring and unengaging one.

I knew someone who had to have 3 engines in a BMW and the finally replaced the whole car because they couldn't find the problem. All car makes have some problems, nothing is perfect.

I suppose it just comes down to taste at the end of the day and everybody is entitled to like what they like without prejudice (or should be) sadly this isn't often the case.

*sigh*

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Having owned a string of German cars - Opels, VW's and BMW's etc down the years I think Alfa have finally got the quality thing just right with the GT.
Its nice and comfortable without having that antiseptic feeling you get with a lot of German cars. I would definitely buy another.

I have come to view car magazines and the general press coverage of cars as just one big advertising exercise - the best car is always the brand that pays the most to the advertising budget of that particular rag.
I never read any press reports about the GT before I bought it - but I did manage to find AO.com and hear real people talking about it and sharing their views on it - many times more valuable information than anything I would read in the press. :)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Some magazines are reasonably fair to Alfas and even enthusiatic without being afraid to criticise their genuine flaws.

Car, Top Gear, Evo and Autoexpress appear to be enthusiatic when reviewing Alfas, and all have written decent reviews of Alfa in the last few years.

In fairness Alfa hav always been good at doing brilliant engines, style, character and sporty handling.
This does seem to come (unnecessarily) at the expense of a lack of refinement in terms of ride quality and body control ver mixed surfaces - and this is the area that I think impacts most on reviewers.

Cheers,
TB

davesel said:
all of this suggests that in the entire world of motoring journalism, there is not one Alfa Owner, not one person who understands Alfa, which seems really odd to me - surely a field you would go into if you loved cars, rather than just working for What Carpet or Ballcock monthly incorperating Plumbingworld.

I wonder what AR make of the constant sniping - even the preview articles I've seen for the Brera and 159 usually end up saying something along the lines of "only time will tell if Alfa have finally sorted build quality issues to compare with German rivals etc...."

are they so dumb that they can't see that there has been a steady, progressive improvement through the recent models? AR's reputation seems to come from the 70's and 80's but they don't seem to hold the rubbish firms like Toyota made back then against them

Career change, anyone?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
My 2p (€0.03) worth...

I don't think the magazines are biased as such; I think they're just not impartial, combined with ignorance and (dare I say it) disinterest.

Autocar seems to have a core of testes (sic) that love BMWs so you just know who's going to win most of the tests those cars feature in.

They also have a woman from Ford UK on secondment to the magazine (I think her role was described as "to facilitate coordination between magazine and the manufacturer). I think it's fair to say that if Autocar was a government organisation such "facilitation" would be viewed as dubious in the extreme.

Finally I think the "World's most authorative car magazine" is frankly ignorant. I saw a "Quick 2nd-hand round-up" recently about the Fiat Tipo that summarised ".. if you can find one, mostly having rusted away". Since when do (the galvanised) Tipo's rust? Sorry.... but even my mum knows Tipo's don't rust. Maybe she should offer her services to Autocrap?

What I worry about is that evolution tends to favour the species that survives best in the prevailing enviromental conditions. I like the way my Alfa rides (yes, bumps fidgets and all) compared to that sea-sick making "magic carpet" pioneered by Peugeot and current "ride king" Ford Focus.

If the manufacturers take notice of all the critisism, they'll start building cars that please the magazines, rather than the punters and that's obviously at odds with their actual instincts. I think it was Autocarp's Chris "****" Harris that saw the Alfa testers crash a Focus on the same corner that the poor-riding 147 at least managed to go round. But he still couldn't (wouldn't) see it.

The barbarians are in charge of the magazines dudes.. I can only suggest we bombarb AutoFord with so many letters that they realise we rumbled them for the lucky amateurs they truly are.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Trailbraker said:
Some magazines are reasonably fair to Alfas and even enthusiatic without being afraid to criticise their genuine flaws.

Car, Top Gear, Evo and Autoexpress appear to be enthusiatic when reviewing Alfas, and all have written decent reviews of Alfa in the last few years.

In fairness Alfa hav always been good at doing brilliant engines, style, character and sporty handling.
This does seem to come (unnecessarily) at the expense of a lack of refinement in terms of ride quality and body control ver mixed surfaces - and this is the area that I think impacts most on reviewers.

Cheers,
TB
I think this just about sums it up, we shouldn't be blind to the faults on our Cars, or we will end up with evolutionary dead ends. I won't stick up for Autocar as I know they are biased as hell, but in some case they have a point. Body control and ride was still lagging behind the BMW's with the 2156 based Cars, including the GT.
Hopefully 159/Brera will fix that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
VeloceMitch said:
I think this just about sums it up, we shouldn't be blind to the faults on our Cars, or we will end up with evolutionary dead ends. I won't stick up for Autocar as I know they are biased as hell, but in some case they have a point. Body control and ride was still lagging behind the BMW's with the 2156 based Cars, including the GT.
I agree completely. :)

Having just read the Autocar report I have to admit the ride is crashy, there is an abundance of torque steer and the turning circle is non existant. :tut:

I also agree with them that the engine is sublime, the gearbox is fantastic and the looks are sensational. :D

So in summary (in their own words) its looks are 28 fathoms ahead of the others, the power murders the other two and the sound is sensational. :)

No wonder they hate it, after all, who wants that in a coupe :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
VeloceMitch said:
its horses for courses afriend of mine has a 2003 325i and i drove it down to cornwall all i can say about it is ..its completely souless and has no "feel" i reckon my 15 yr old daughter could drive it all you really have to do is point it in the right direction which is fine if you like that sort of thing...probably why clarkson likes alfas and has even owned them... didn, he pick the 147 gta over the golf r32 (another souless bland german car) on top gear a couple of years ago..(a very wise man indeed)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think motoring weekly magazines aren't really to be trusted. They are the tabloids of the motoring world and you don't believe everything you read in The Sun do you!

In a similar journalistic style to The Sun I think they write a report on a car based on assumptions and first impressions, they have little understanding of the ownership of the car. A few months ago I read a preview on the Brera in Auto Express (this was before any Journos got their hands on it) and they summed it up as being very pretty but you shouldn't buy one because;

a) it will break down and
b) the dealer network won't be able to look after you

Now what kind of thing is this to write in a magazine? The guy who wrote it had no more experience or knowledge than anyone here on this forum, he hadn't driven one or even sat in one yet he's slated/rejected the car already.

What I'm trying to say is the reviews are someone's opinion and not a true portrait of the car.

Wait a while until some of the car magazines have one in their fleet. Evo magazine has about a dozen cars which the journos drive day in day out. The articles they write on those are fascinating as they give a real world view of what its like to own and drive the car every day.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts