Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must admit I was lazy the other day, the Mito was covered in all kinds of crap and I thought I'll just quickly run it through the car wash on my way home. Normally I don't use automated car washes and after this experience I wish I hadn't and never will again.

So I'm sat in the car wash, engine off, ignition off just waiting for the dry cycle to finish when suddenly the boot hatch of the Mito flips right up. I didn't even have time to turn around when the dryer mechanism literally pushes the hatch over the roof of the car. Cracking and popping the boot pings back down and slams shut.

The damage, crease along the entire length of the hatch where it meets the roof, pulled off hinges, smashed stays. Doesn't look like it's creased or damaged to roof. Will find out once the damages has been properly assessed.

So what happened, we'll the boot was definitely locked so my assumption is that the pressure of the roller has pushed the boot release (Alfa badge is the push button release on Mito and G's). No warning on dash as the ignition was off. Then the force of the air from the dryer flipped the hatch open.

Surely the car wash should have detected an obstruction and stopped, but it didn't.

So if you have to take your Mito or G through a car wash lock the doors.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could have cried. From the noise it made I had visions of the entire roof being trashed.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Since my Alfa Romeo ownership began (1982), I have NEVER used a car wash and this helps to confirm why I never will.
Hope you get sorted mate, that sounds like a horrible experience.

·
Registered
689 Posts
OMG!!!
I usde to take my punto through a car wash as i wasn;t that bothered about it, but never done anything but hand wash my Alfa.
I've heard of scratches and damged wipers or aerials but never the boot being forced open :(
I will now warn anyone who will listen not to use them.
I hope you get yours sorted soon. I suppose the wash owners are hiding behind their usual disclaimers :(

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to fill out an insurance claim form at the well known supermarket beginning with "M". But I suspect that it will come off my insurance in the end.

I haven't had any contact with their insurers so I'm just leaving it up to mine to do the chasing. At the end of the day there should be a safety mechanism to shut it down if there's an obstruction.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Had a similar experience in the dellboy van many moons ago. Rollers hit the back of the van bounced up and came down on the roof, took a lump out of the gutter, water [email protected]@ing in through the tops of the doors. Funny now but at the time I wasn't impressed. Never been in one since.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ouch. I thought you were going to say the aerial got mangled, not the boot folding back on itself! A lesson for us all. Hope you get it all sorted. Worth persevering with the car wash owners - they'll want to fob you off, but they'll also want to avoid bad publicity.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
that's awful! :eek:

i occasionally use those car washers too and you have just done a great job of making me stop doing so!

good luck with the claim fella :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ouch :cry:

It could have been much worse. Take a look at this:
FunnyFuse Faves: Car Wash Special - YouTube :cheese:

Anyhow, these automated washer are car's worst enemy since they damage the paint and leave scuffs all around. These can be later seen on bright sunlight and eventually will require polishing. Best solution when feeling lazy is to use self service washing places and just quick shower the car (or use your wife for the job :lol:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts