Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to work this morning on a particularly bumpy bit of road i was suddenly aware of a rapid rubbing/knocking noise from the passenger wheel area. It sounds exactly like the noise a buses suspension makes when they are rattely.

I put my hand inside the corner and felt all the bolts, nothing is loose. The noise is apparent when i am moving at any speed on anything but the smoothest and flatest of surfaces. No other change in the car, just this noise?? The GF said it sounds like it is coming from the upper part of the engine bay on her side but she also feels a vibration through her feet.

Not sure what to make of this but looks like the GTV will be coming off the road again for further investigation.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

Droplinks are brand new and still intact. As are the wishbones.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds much bigger than that. At lunchtime i went out and tightened the droplink so that the rubbers deformed. Took it out for a drive and no change so not the droplink.

Can a failed shock absorber cause this noise?

It also makes the noise when the engine is started, as the engine rocks when it catches it makes the noise once. If i am rough on the gearchanges it also makes this noise but it is constant when i am on a poor road surface (in aberdeen, every road surface is poor).

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, won't have time to investigate until the weekend though. Will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't get the time to look at it at the weekend so off the road for another week. Just ordered a pair of KYB Excel G gas shocks for the front though so this weekend i will hopefully get it sorted.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found it. The front bumper arm has snapped due to excessive corrosion. The noise is the broken metal rubbing together.

Another job on the to do list. At least the wheel isn't about to fall off though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts